back to article Microsoft to Moto: We'll give you $1m a year for your patents

Microsoft and Googorola are having a slight difference of opinion when it comes to how much Redmond should pay for Motorola Mobility's video and Wi-Fi patents. Microsoft reckons that no more than $502,000 a year is fair for Moto's H.264 video patent - which is used in Xboxes and other MS gear - and $736,000 a year is a fair …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. toadwarrior

Don't make it a standard if you want to charge whatever you want.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Make it a standard and charge whatever you want. That's a way to make money after all.

2. M Gale

"Don't make it a standard if you want to charge whatever you want."

Someone should have told Microsoft that, some 30 years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What goes around, comes around.

Karma is such a bitch eh, Microsoft?

3. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Sure, just like these parasites extort $5 per handset from the Android manufacturers.

Well, their balance sheet for 2012 has to show *some* revenue from mobile, after all.

1. CyberCod
        Mushroom

Ya, wasn't that just for using FAT32?

I hope MS gets gutted. What goes around comes around, and moreso if you're the one who sent it around to begin with.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

When does the industry just move away from FAT32 and just let the consumer install a driver? Microsoft can keep FAT32 and either Microsoft will just include the driver or Windows users get inconvenienced. Dumping FAT32 would drop the prices of a lot of electronics or allow bigger profits on them. Either way, anytime Microsoft loses it is a good thing.

2. Lance 3

The $5 per handset is not just for FAT. The licensing terms that Microsoft has is $0.25 per device with a cap of $250,000 per license agreement. $250,000 is 50,000 units. Since every manufacturer is selling more than 50,000 units, they would be paying the cap of $250,000. Technically, Google could be paying for the license and thus Microsoft only sees $250,000 per year and encompasses every Android handset. They may not let a license be transferable though.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How is WiFi an essential patent?

1. Ommerson

It is a requirement for any participant in a formal standardisation process to declare any patents they hold on the technology and agree to FRAND license. In the case of MPEG - so presumably H.264 - there is a patent pool arrangement in place.

The 802.11 standards are also formal standards.

2. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

Wrong I am

Perhaps, but I think this patent circus is getting sicker and sicker each year. Sometimes you have a feeling that judges get more and more "sick" about it too, but then again I am an optimist sometimes. Half full, half empty so to say.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Wrong I am

Except H.264 is actually one example where a patent isn't stupid, is it? It's not a vague nebulous idea, but an actual detailed invention.

1. h3

H264 is just Maths it shouldn't be patentable.

Dunno why people think because it is software it deserves any special treatment.

(The real invention is the individual bits of Maths which are not patentable for the good of society).

1. ArmanX

Just maths, eh? Well, technically, a gearbox is just that, too. So are computer programs. In fact, when you come right down to it, everything but art is dictated by mathematics. And even then, some art - music, for instance - is bast on equations.

Saying "Applied Maths shouldn't be patentable" is roughly equivalent to "Nothing should be patentable."

1. stewski

Then all language should be patentable (insert sark mark tm)

H264 is not based on equations, it is equations...

2. Richard Plinston

> Just maths, eh? Well, technically, a gearbox is just that, too

No. Wrong. A gearbox is lumps of metal. I don't know if there ever was a patent on 'a gearbox', but there certainly were patents on particular enhancements to it. For example on synchromesh. Gears are normally engaged by dogs. synchromesh ensures that the gear is 'spun up' to speed before attempting to engage the dog. It could be done by first engaging a spring loaded cone clutch. That isn't 'just maths'.

> everything but art is dictated by mathematics.

It may be dictated by natural laws, these laws may be described by mathematics, but that doesn't mean that 'everything _IS_ maths'.

> music, for instance - is bast on equations.

And that is _exactly_ why music cannot be patented (it can be copyrighted).

1. t.est

Ah, it's just atoms with their electrons anyway. Manipulate the mass in a certain way and you have a gearbox.

Manipulate atoms in doped silicone to emit photons in a certain way according to specified methods, isn't that much different from that gearbox.

Either your with patents or your against, maybe just maybe you don't care, but as you commented what you commented that's highly unlikely.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Just mathematics

http://xkcd.com/435/

2. stewski

Inventive in what way, the specific application of fairly well known and unpatented maths kind of way?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>I'm not sure you understand this case. It will be bad for the whole IT industry if Motorola/Google get their way.

Maybe the IT industry should just use WebM instead.

>Motorola is asking for 10 times as much as is needed to licence a package of several hundred patents

If you're referring to MPEG-LA, then the requested amount is pretty much on par actually.

1. Joseph Lord

>>I'm not sure you understand this case. It will be bad for the whole IT industry if Motorola/Google get their way.

>Maybe the IT industry should just use WebM instead.

I would be slightly surprised if it really is free of all patents (except those Google owns and freely licenses). Also it requires the content industry to do likewise and cut off all current mobile phones and tablets or double encode all the content. It isn't likely to happen now, H.264 is pretty firmly entrenched until something else comes along with double the efficiency.

>>Motorola is asking for 10 times as much as is needed to licence a package of several hundred patents

>If you're referring to MPEG-LA, then the requested amount is pretty much on par actually.

Apart from anything there is an annual cap in the MPEG-LA license for H.264 which is capped at $6.5M until 2015 so less than 10% of what Google is asking for.

1. Tom 7

$6.5million per what - patent?

Its a whole bunch of patents so it may work out even more!

1. Joseph Lord

Re: $6.5million per what - patent?

$6.5M annual cap for all the devices you can make for all the patents in the portfolio (at least several hundred from 35 companies). You might have an additional similar cap for content you produce too but I haven't checked. Obviously you can pay less if you don't make enough products to reach the cap (first 100K free, 10c or 20c per unit depending on volume).

Readable summary of MPEG-LA terms here: http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/AVC_TermsSummary.pdf

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>H.264 which is capped at $6.5M until 2015

The cap is per AVC product [triple that figure] and per end product [anyone's guess in MS's case] - not per customer.

3. t.est

Double efficiency is already ongoing. And yes it's an MPEG standard. Nothing stupid like WebM or any other non standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>Readable summary of MPEG-LA terms here

MS (notionally since they benefit from the cabal) would need Product, OEM & Video licenses numerous times at and below the cap level relative to products distributed. On signing they would also be expected to settle all back royalties owed since 2007.

1. Joseph Lord

@AC 18:36

Yes I expect that MS have MPEG-LA licenses in two categories - as an manufacturer (Xbox, Surface...) and as an PC OS supplier (Windows) plus probably title by title license for Xbox live PPV content. They probably hit the cap for both the manufacturer and OS categories but probably not on the PPV content category so they are probably paying something around $15M to the MPEG-LA annually (6.5 + 6.5 + 2). The $6.5M cap is an enterprise cap for as many different products as you sell you only have to pay it once in each category.

I would expect that once an FRAND rate has been settled by the judge (or in negotiation) there will be little argument from MS about having to pay back royalties to whatever date is relevant (which may be further than 2007) subject to patent grant dates and if there is a limitation on legal claims of this kind.

Google would probably need the OEM manufacturer's license for Motorola (possibly not to the cap though), would mostly use the free content license for free internet video for Youtube but will need license for content in the Play store.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

This whole patent excercise is slipping from comedy to tragedy...

Unfortunately, it was bound to head there once people started generating serious money through threatened or actual litigation, and having companies buy up other companies just for IP. Now comes the effort to monetize all that purchased IP....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple end game here.

If the shoe were on the other foot, what would MicroSoft do?

I'm not taking sides, just pointing out the obvious.

1. Joseph Lord

@Taylor 1

You do know that MS has patents on H.264 which Google (and hundreds of other) license through the MPEG-LA patent pool don't you?

Just pointing out the obvious.

7. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Maybe an interesting legal basis for Microsoft might be: "for the good of the business sector and orderly process of good order and continuity to end users"?

The legal precedent might be one that acknowledges a multiple of rights such as rights of the patent holder, rights of existing licensees, rights of end-users with (maybe) software that is quite old yet equally reliant on patents that have somehow changed in importance over recent times?

In other words: justice has to be fair and make a ruling that respects all the rights of all parties and at the same time make allowances for changes when a relatively minor patent may evolve to relatively major importance simply be the way a market or technology super-evolves.

If the google or any party takes action the judge has to consider the existing rights of those who might have historical access to the patents.

The judge might also wish to set precedent in procedural terms when a patent has been catapulted from relatively minor importance to relatively major importance by whatever.

The rights of all (as in A-L-L) have to be considered in the round without preference to either party and for the better good of the sector in general (in other words: death to patent trolls, life and fairness to all?)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sympathy

Its been some years, since 1994 in fact, since I had ANY support for MS, and hope they lose every case brought by (or against) them.

Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stac_Electronics#Microsoft_lawsuit

And yes, the bodged DOS 6 DoubleSpace did cost me.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. The BigYin

Patent me this,

Patent me that,

Who's afraid of the Redmond....<insert nawty word here>.

MS grabs $5 per handset.

Google gargles $100 mill or whatever for H264.

Apple slurps X for Y

Samsung...

The money goes around and around, time is lost, courts choked up and in the end it is zero sum (except for the lawyers). It's almost as if the world would be better off without this patent garbage on software; then folks would just get on with stuff.

But wait! Where would the investment go if it couldn't be protected? Well, they are already wasting sky-fairy knows much on lawyers and lost suits; perhaps than money would cover these mythical loses that would be incurred.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft getting money from Android OEMs

All you fandroids whining about how MS has it coming to them because they're shaking down the Android OEMs for $5 or whatever per phone are missing the point. Assuming this is for the FAT32 patents (this is the guess but I don't think it has ever been proven) it is totally their fault for deciding to use FAT32. FAT32 is NOT a standard in the same way h.264 and 802.11 are. It is something Microsoft made up and a lot of people use because Windows knows how to read/write it, but since it was never submitted to a standards body it isn't subject to FRAND licensing. Microsoft is free to charge whatever they want for it, or refuse to let anyone use it. Why Android decided to use FAT32 at all I have no idea since it is such a shitty filesystem, but when MS came calling they should have switched to use something not patent encumbered like the Linux ext3 filesystem. It is totally the fault of the Android OEMs that they stuck with FAT32 despite having no reason whatsoever to use it. That bad decision is now apparently costing them a billion dollars a year.

Motorola trying to get 10x as much as the entire MPEG-LA pool (which is way more than 10x more patents than Motorola has for h.264) is ridiculous. I love how shortsighted people who hate Apple and Microsoft are - so long as they are the ones looking to get screwed, they will look the other way and cheer it on. I guess they have never heard of or failed to understand Martin Niemöller.

12. crayon

Motorola is not being generous at all with their cap of $100-125M. Assuming $500 per device, then 2.25% yields $11.25. MS will have to sell over 10M devices to reach the cap, which we all know is not going to happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like