back to article Google unlikely to get kid-glove treatment THIS side of pond - Euro biz players

European web businesses are unlikely to give up the fight against Google's business practices, according to sources involved in the case. Reports at the weekend suggest that Google was close to reaching a closed door settlement with the FTC which would require it only to make voluntary presentational changes, and relieve it from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 65

US Governance

Rotten to the core.

1. Flawless101
      Devil

Re: US Governance

Just the US?

2. TRT Silver badge

Perhaps...

they'd like to see what a democracy looks like.

1. HarshKarma
      Trollface

Re: Perhaps...

"they'd like to see what a democracy looks like."

I know I would - where should I look?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Switzerland. It's so democratic they have to vote on things pretty much every other weekend or so (at least, that's what it sometimes looks like).

2. Ole Juul

they'd like to see what a democracy looks like.

We have a very modern democracy here in Canada. In fact it's so modern it can even operate without user input.

3. dogged
    Trollface

"copying material from search rivals"

Don't tell Bob Vistakin. He's convinced that's a Bing thing, even though it actually, er, wasn't.

4. nematoad
    Unhappy

Why do all the dirty work...

... when you can leave it to someone else.

That seems to be the attitude of the authorities in the US regarding bringing the likes of Google and Microsoft to heel.

In the present case it seems that the FTC has decided to go easy on Google, perhaps because of vested interests by the White House, and is relying on the EU to hit Google where it hurts i.e. in the wallet.

It was the same with MS, it took the Samba team and FSFE aided by lawyer Carlo Piana to go to the European Court of Justice and get MS to release the documentation for SMB/CIFS. The US authorities did nothing and yet they too have benefited from SAMBA, all without lifting a finger.

Nice way to get things you want, without paying for it.

5. Ru
    Meh

"THIS side of pond"

So long as by "this side" you exclude the folk north of the English channel, cos I don't see the current UK government giving Google any trouble any time soon.

6. Paul Shirley

lining up with? Microsoft or Google?

"This would lead to the embarrassing prospect of the Commission lining up in the dock alongside the US corporation"

The only choice is which US giant corporation they're seen 'lining up' with, Google or Microsoft. They might be wise to avoid being seen supporting either of them, or the botton feeders with crappy products they can't sell on their merits.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, I've got another for them..

I've just received the correct contact details for the EU Justice Art 29 Working Party which deals with privacy. They too have put Google on notice, and I'm about to add something fairly large to their case load..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, I've got another for them..

Love the downvote. Is that you, Schmidt? :)

2. David 164

Re: Well, I've got another for them..

Shame they do not actually have the powers to act against Google. They are nothing but a talking shop. Data protection enforcement is done by each individual country data protection commissioner, who will have to launch their own investigations before taking Google to court, and all 27 nations will have to do it.

I suspect most commissioners will think they got better things to do, they certainly did when Google ask for feed back on their new policies.

8. David 164
    Pint

I suspect Google and the EU commission will settle.

Why the EU commission has less barriers than the FTC did, no US constitution to beat in a right wing supreme court, I am still betting that the EU do not have the evidence to support there case, especially to do with searches. An the deal struck with the FTC sounds very similar to the rumours of the deal being negotiated between EU commission and Google.

Beer, because there nothing better to drink when watching corporations fight each other.

9. Keep Refrigerated
    Devil

Yellow Pages

Yes, once the EU is done with investigating and fining Google, perhaps they could take a look at the Yellow Pages. Much worse behaviour than Google- they actually charge other companies to be indexed in their search results and don't even bother listing companies that don't pay! How is that fair?

As for the FTC, did anyone actually consider that they dropped the case because they realised they don't have any evidence?

10. realbizlistings

Perhaps the worst is...

The special treatment that Google gives its own properties within the supposed "neutral" search results. This guy caught Google red-handed and they won't do anything about it - http://ftcreadthis.wordpress.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like