back to article Sony drives at Ion with own-brand USB turntable

Vinyl record fans with a love for the PC no longer have to rely on manufacturer Ion for USB turntables, because Sony has stepped up to the mic and spun out a USB model of its own. The PS-LX300USB isn’t particularly stylish, but then how many turntables are? Nonetheless, an up-and-coming Fat Boy Slim can scratch to their heart’ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Watch out...

It looks like Sony have finally figured out a way to get a rootkit onto an LP!

Next: DRM for C90's

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Marketing departments eh

"has built-in a belt drive system to reduce, it claimed, the turntable’s motor noise."

Which is also of course cheaper than direct-drive...

"Spin" me around...

3. Tim Bates
    Thumb Down

Damn! Someone beat me to it.

I was going to wonder about DRM given the Sony software supplied.

Why on earth would anyone pay a Sony premium for a device that Sony basically declared dead almost 2 decades ago?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Belt Drive

Belt drive is quieter than direct-drive, which is why there are no high-end direct-drive tables (and high-end tables often go to great lengths to move the motor away from the cartridge). Also, wannabe Fatboy Slims should stay away from this and all other belt-drive tables - pretty sure all DJ tables are direct-drive.

-Audiophile dork

5. Iain

Current deck plus amp line out = win

What's wrong with using the line out on your amp all of a sudden? Do people really want to go out and buy a whole new record deck with a USB connection instead?

I just don't get it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's wrong with line out?

nothing, if you've got RCA phono-to-.125" phone cabling, and your PC is near your amp. i think these products from ion and sony are for people who don't have a working turntable anymore, or the folks whose VCR is still flashing "00:00".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like