back to article Micro-computer bakers open Raspberry Pi shop

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has opened an online software shop tied to its cheap-as-chips micro-computer. The Pi Store - not, alas, "the Pi Shop", which Brits will surely agree sounds better - is intended to provide a port of call for users seeking apps, games, tools and guidance to help them make the most of their wee, ARM- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lord Voldemortgage

Some Reg reviews

of these apps would be great.

2. A J Stiles

"The Pi Shop"

"The Pi Shop" would indeed sound better, but only if the proprietor were a certain Mrs Miggins.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The Pi Shop"

Or, as created by The Apprentice's finest - "MyPi" and could display the RasberryPi alongside other examples of British ingenuity such as Christopher Columbus's discovery fo america!

1. Martin
        Happy

If we were buying hardware add-ons as well, it could be a Pi and Chips shop.

1. Simon Harris
          Happy

If they were selling toolkits to aggregate data from multiple web-sources, it could be a Pi and Mash-up shop.

2. Roger Varley

And here was me thinking old Chris was from Genoa.

2. Anonymous C0ward

With a suspicious sausage

That looks like a horse's willy?

3. Leona A
    Unhappy

ops

url http://store.raspberrypi.com/

yields:

"It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet."

1. ukgnome
      Happy

Re: ops

Maybe you have an issue with your browser as it works fine for me

2. rurwin
      Thumb Up

It works for me, following the link in your post.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just a jumbled mess for me (Iron,Opera,FF & Ie9).

Maybe do to our Proxy rules / content filtering though

4. Leona A
      Paris Hilton

Yes it works on my phone, must be works 'poxy' network settings (yes 'mistake' intended !)

4. Pinkerton
    Happy

Pah!

Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here downloading apps.

In them days we used to type in games from a magazine.

But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pah!

Didn't have a computer, of course, but typing the games in to a typewriter was good keyboard practice and gave a fairly similar end result.

2. Ross 12

Also available through the store are issues of The Mag Pi magazine, which does indeed have code listings and tutorials, just like the 80s computer mags

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I would say that typing them in from a magazine was damn good practice. You either learned to debug other peoples code (and your typos), and could become a software engineer, or gave up, and became merely a user.

4. Ian Yates
      Thumb Up

I used to love adding a "cheat", such as infinite lives/ammo to character 1 or removing collision on a certain wall, for when I played multiplayer with a friend

Good times

1. Roger Varley

>> I used to love adding a "cheat", such as infinite lives/ammo to character 1 or removing collision on a certain wall, for when I played multiplayer with a friend

I had fun with "Snake" - programmed the shift key to reverse the left & right keys of my opponent. Provided much hilarity until he realised what I had done.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When I were a lad we 'ad toggle switches and blinkin' lights. None of yer la-di-dah LEDs mind, we 'ad to keep a box of them for when they burnt out.

1. Stevie

Well, we 'ad it tough. We 'ad t' program usin' Hand Punch an' Jacard-pattern cards. If y' med a mistek, foreman'd brek y' thumbs.

And we were thankful!

6. Simon Round
      Joke

Pah! We didn’t have these new fangled apps stores and computers when I was a lad.

We had to work in’t mill on Jethro’s patented Loom Powered ‘Calculating Blending Machine’. T’was powered by water wheel set outside mill building set in’t stream for both power and water cooling.

Problems were set out in binary by placing 64 bobbins of threat on’t top of machine and feeding thread through metal eyelets called ‘Bits’. We used to call then 64bits.

Threads would be fed into the Central Pulling Unit. The CPU would gather all 64Bits and feed then into a pipe and a metal bar called the Rigid Angle Mover would gather up the threads. The threads would come off the other end of the RAM and be rearranged using the Gilling Picking Uptwister. The GPU would feed the threads onto a piece of board with pins on it called the Loom Carding Dyer where inks would be dripped onto threads. The results of the calculation would be read from the LCD then dumped out the other end to the Loom which would have a Shuttle called the Head would move side to side to bind the threads together to give us a permanent record of the result.

If anything broke then there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth until the soft-thread-wear engineer would either cut the thread that was locking up the machine or join a split thread together. We used to call these times Bite ‘Ur Gums or BUGs for short.

We also used to get a nice line in jumpers out of the Calculating Blending Machine.

But tell that to the youth of today and they won’t believe you!

1. Anonymous C0ward

I think we have our winner.

5. SuperHoopMango

Ahhhh.... Those were the days!

Going through 2 pages of code for the Commodore Vic20, saving every so often in case you got lost (knocked your ruler off the page....) and then typing "run".

Then the obligatory 2 hours of searching for the mistakes! Happy days!

1. Robert Forsyth

Typing hex listing (on a rubbery keyboard), I think made me a more careful coder. Although I take longer to write the program, than the other programmers, they would spend all day in the debugger which I rarely did (unless trying to get one of their programs to work).

1. Andus McCoatover
        Joke

rubbery keyboard?

Me, to a Foxconn engineer: "Hey! This keyboard's rubbery" "Oh, tank you very melly!"

2. Simon Round
        Happy

Typing listing in on a ZX81 membrane keyboard with the fear of a rampack wobble. Now that makes you a very carefull coder.

6. The Indomitable Gall

Code::blocks

Has Code::blocks every been taken to court for that logo? It's more than slightly reminiscent of another one.

1. Tom 7

Re: Code::blocks

I'm sure Mr Rubick anticipates no confusion.

7. James 47

Yeeehah!

15 text editors, 45 image viewers and 700 email clients coming to you!

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
      Thumb Down

That's very unfair of you.

Everyone knows that there are two other Pi applications: (1) media player and (2) thing to shore up wobbly tables. Mind you, I'd love to see LibreOffice running on one.

1. Refugee from Windows

Re: That's very unfair of you.

I'd suggest Libre Office might be a bit of an overkill really - Abiword and Gnumeric I would suggest as more appropriate.

First suggestion is get a different browser from Midori, it seriously drove me up the wall, but installing Network Manager and Synaptic Package manager might just find you not needing to use the Pi Shop at all.

8. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Mine's in my pocket....

Sadly, gotta return it to RS, as the SD carrier was broken on arrrival...

Another 15 weeks wait?? Hope not, the thing's really beautiful. Got it (somehow) connected, holding the card in with a judiciously-placed book, but (stupidly) I did a S/W upgrade. The book fell halfwat through, card flopped out, and now it's bricked. Still, for the short time it worked, it looked brilliant!

9. Christian Berger

I'm sorry, but that's just wrong

On the Raspberry Pi you already have a _distribution_ with repositories. There's little need for a "shop". Shops have either the problem that they are felt to be to restrictive, or that they contain malware, or sometimes even both.

What will happen though is that this will probably introduce some security problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sorry, but that's just wrong

It does seem a bit backward to be honest.. if anything they should have built a nicer apt/dpkg frontend based on Synaptic. This sort of thing (one click install from website) has been done before and I can't remember anyone using it.

Maybe this will help the kiddie winks once they actually get some to people that don't just want a cheap XBMC machine..

1. James Hughes 1

Re: I'm sorry, but that's just wrong

Estimate, about 15-20% have got in to the hands of the younger end of the geek spectrum. That's about 150k. Not bad so far, its really really not just XBMC (although that does work well)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like