back to article Review: Eurocom Monster W110ER gaming netbook

It’s hard to see quite who Eurocom thinks will buy its Monster W110ER “gaming netbook”. Surely any gamer sufficiently hardcore to feel the need to be able to take a high-end gaming system around with them - and the W110ER is a high-end machine - will want to play on a larger screen than an 11.6-incher, especially when it’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51
    Thumb Up

Ubuntu

Thanks for putting that bit in about trying to run Ubuntu. It was very useful.

2. kyza

My sister...

...would laugh at anyone turning up at a home LAN party with a screen this small.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: My sister...

I tend to find mates sisters tended to laugh at you whatever size screen you brought with you

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My sister...

Kyza, I've heard your sister laughs at anything less than 14"

3. 1Rafayal
    Pint

Alternative uses

I am not sure if this would take off as a games machine, but as a highly portable development machine it would do a great job.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Alternative uses

Except that most development requries a lot more Screen Real Estate than this.

it's Ok for Notepad++ but not for any of the major dev suites...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternative uses

Use a tablet as a secondary monitor?

As a portable development machine, it would appear that the battery life is a bigger hindrance than the screen.

4. K

Its not the size.. its how you use it!

Shame about the lack of display port, which would be a must to run my 30" monitor!

Great shame, as I would buy one of these, be great as a personal laptop, plug it into my TV for Videos etc, into my monitor for gaming. Then just chuck it in my suit case for holidays!

I had a 11.6" Sony TZ a couple of years ago, it was brilliant if a little underpowered..

5. Michael Hawkes
    Thumb Up

VGA

At the university where I work, VGA is commonly used to connect laptops to projectors. All of the classrooms have VGA connections in the teacher's desk or speaker's podium, while some will have DVI or HDMI as options. VGA may be legacy tech, but it still works well.

1. Danny 14

Re: VGA

I imagine VGA works well on a dell but a clevo gaming pc?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VGA

The VGA port isn't as useless as the reviewer thinks it is.

On NVidia mobile gfx cards you can in fact drive 2 external displays independently - one from HDMI and one from VGA.

You can't do that with any of the other digital outputs from NVidia mobile gfx cards - eg if you had HDMI and DisplayPort then only one of those outputs could be active.

6. Androgynous Crackwhore
    Facepalm

What the hell are they taking?

Design an expensive pimped out laptop and hamstring it with an unspeakably shit screen. Why? What's the idea? That it'll be easy to fit this thing in the suitcase you'll be lugging your external panel(s) around in?

Oh FFS

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: What the hell are they taking?

Yeah, pretty much. 11.6 is a bit tiny as well, I'd be quite happy with 13".

I have a 13.1" Vaio Z series, that has a 1600x900 screen, upgradable to 1920x1080..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What the hell are they taking?

I hope they're not expecting to sell any.

7. Ant Evans
    Thumb Down

WTFn

Fn key combinations for Home, End, PgUp, PgDn? Game over.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That screen

OK, it's small, we get it.. but what about a bit more info.. TN? IPS? "Backlight LED Display" on the seller's page isn't really very informative.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That screen

Not just small: At that derisory resolution it must be the cheapest PoS they could lay their hands on.

It'll be some obsolete TN which AUO were clearing out, with the fluorescent tube that went missing from the staff loo and a handful of perlite behind it.

£2079 please.

9. ukgnome
    Coffee/keyboard

battery life of just one hour 20 minutes,

Yeah, what I wanted for xmas was a tiny screened super power netbook that farts its last after an hour.

<-------------------can't decide between FAIL and new keyboard!

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: battery life of just one hour 20 minutes,

Yes. Reading this, I could quite see it living under my telly, hooked up via HDMI, and with a Bluetooth keyboad/mouse (family asleep? Full screen gaming ahoy!), so the small screen and weedy battery would never be an issue. But really, what would be the point? More than likely I could put something together to do the same, without spending £1k or more, were I so inclined.

Still, credit where it's due for the accessible innards - that's a nice feature in a laptop/netbook.

10. Bill Neal
    Alien

Alienware

I have one of those 11-inch Alienware machines. I got it free when a friend dropped it and broke the HDD. I just had to buy a new drive, and now it runs Mint. Sad the Core2 Duo only goes 1.8 GHz. The thing still loves the 3D games I run on it. 4GB DDR3 & Nvidia graphics probably matters more than the CPU anyway. This box you have here probably isn't portable for long when under a load, but it still looks nice and so does the price.

This topic is closed for new posts.