back to article UN's 'bid to wrestle control of internet' stalled by asterisk

It is day eight of the World Conference on International Telecommunications, the ITU conference that has Google so panicked, and more than 600 delegates are locked in debate over the significance of an asterisk with no compromise in sight and time running out. The ITU conference is debating the International Telecommunication …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Angel

'bid to wrestle control of internet' stalled by asterisk

Good old Getafix and his magic potion.

2. P. Lee

Skype a telco?

More like a telephone directory.

Skype infrastructure carries no voice traffic except skype-in/out - a tiny proportion of total traffic.

Get your warrant for the ADSL line instead.

3. P_0

I don't know whether the ITU/UN are really trying to get control of the internet, but I do not trust the UN one bit. Just a talking shop for scoundrels, tyrants and weirdos.

I'm with the UK representative - I don't know what the yanks are going on about , but I'll side with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course you are quite right.

The best control is no control.

This thung with the UN thugs running the show is a guarantee of future extra complexity, tax, cost or some other nonsense.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>The best control is no control.

There is control, it's ICANN, a US corporation controlled by "you don't need to know that"

They are the ones that could decide tomorrow that .uk doesn't exist or whether or not to allow a ".sex" domain

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Surprised the US is not focusing on dropping over the fiscal cliff at the New Year. Glad to see they are able to worry about major issues like asterix placement during such a time.

1. P_0

That's why they delegate tasks to different people.

2. GotThumbs
      Boffin

Fiscal cliff is not an actual cliff......

It's just the combining of expiring tax breaks and manditory budget cuts that were supposed to be so bad that the govenment would be compelled to focus on reigning in its out of control spending. Since the US President seems to have mssed the fact that the election is over...He should be more involved in the process rather than on the campain trail. But since He loves avoiding the actual job he applied for and was elected to do....It's not a surprise how little progress is actually happening.

As one of those who will be affected, I think it would be in Americas best interest to take the hit and everyone start paying their true share. Less than 50% of Americans pay taxes currently, so the poor are not contributing at all to the collective, but they are the ones using the social resources most. They even get an "Obama Phone" for free, complements of those who work and pay their own bills. Don't get me wrong, I think there are many people using social services that deserve and need them, but I also know that the system is poorly managed and there are tons of abuses and waste.

The fact that Egypt is getting about 1 Billion in foreign aid funding and 20 F-16 planes from the US staring January, shows how f'd up this country is. We have to borrow money to pay for the spending/sending of money to other nations.

1. Invidious Aardvark

Re: Fiscal cliff is not an actual cliff......

I'm not American but I was under the impression that actual debating and proposing laws, etc. was the work of Congress. The president has the power of veto over whatever comes out of Congress, but the (hopelessly divided along party lines) Congress is the place where the real action happens.

Blame the senate and reps for the impasse. If they'd start thinking of the country and stop being so bloody partisan some actual progress might be possible.

As for "paying their true share", the fact that > 50% are not paying taxes (assuming that is true) should be ringing alarm bells - the most powerful nation on the planet appears to be failing > 50% of its population by paying them so little for the work that they do that they need state subsidy to survive. Proposing to tax these people, who are earning so little that they actually need state assistance in the first place, is a pointless exercise. Far better would be to improve their standards of pay so that they can survive without state assistance and can actually contribute to the state via taxes themselves. It may mean some businesses earning less profit, but it would increase the number of people with disposable income who will, presumably, go and dispose of this income by buying things.

1. Tom 13

Re: who are earning so little that they actually need state assistance

they're not ALL earning so little, most are just too fucking lazy with too much self importance to take a job doing honest work for honest wages. Besides, they voted for The Big 0 so he owes them more free stuff. Greed and avarice are always the downfall of any nation. Problem is, when we have asshats like you redefine greed and avarice as a human necessity, the greediest and most avarice don't get the correction needed to right the nation.

5. Roger Stenning
    WTF?

Let's see if I've got this right...

...these conspiracy theory nuts are saying the UN is out to run the planet, but this would require the use of force and armies of immense size to accomplish in any real sense; now, as most of these conspiracy theory nuts come from the US, which has a VETO VOTE for pretty much anything the UN throws out when it comes to use of force matters (as do the other permanent members of the UNSC), what the bloody hell are these conspiracy theory nuts so paranoid about? The Easter Bunny dressing in a sky blue romper suit and arming itself with a carrot gun?!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Let's see if I've got this right...

Actually I think that the perceived problem is the exact opposite.

It's precisely because the UN and its committees are tedious talking shops, where the world and his dog get a veto, that makes them eminently unfit to run anything of any importance.

Try getting, say, the IPv6 standard approved by a bunch who can argue the toss for a week over whether a footnote should be a footnote or a text inclusion. A load of 'em studying the text for evidence of western imperialism, another load studying it for evidence of godless communism and another load studying it to work out whether it's possible to insult ${deity} in a hexadecimal address that long so it should be banned as a product of infidels. Meanwhile, the actual technical content goes on the "Who gives a toss?" pile.

Screw that for a game of soldiers......

1. Captain DaFt

@TeeCee

But that's the point isn't it?

Give'em all a big building to meet in, and let them argue over trivial details and imagined slights with all the posturing and pontificating that they can muster.

It keeps them off the streets and out of real trouble, like starting World Wars every twenty years or so.

2. Mike Flex

"Try getting, say, the IPv6 standard approved by a bunch who can argue the toss for a week over whether a footnote should be a footnote or a text inclusion."

There's no need to wait a few 4-year study periods. If you need a replacement for an under-planned IPv4 suite there's a set of ISO network standards on the shelf (perfect condition, never used) all ready to go.

2. P_0

This isn't about conspiracy theories, it is about who is suitable to run the internet. The internet is freedom of speech's greatest tool, and to hand waive and say it is conspiracy theorizing that other countries mught want to curtail this is plain wrong.

Saudi Arabia, for example wants an international body to censor "offensive material" .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9602263/Anti-Islam-film-prompts-Saudi-call-for-net-censorship-body.html

The UN is a laughable organization. Don't let it anywhere near the internet.

3. Terry Cloth
      Black Helicopters

@Roger Stenning: ``most of these conspiracy theory nuts come from the US, which has a VETO VOTE for pretty much anything''

Well, yes, that's exactly why they're worried. You see, the Trilateral Commission is in control of the U.S. government, and therefore can use the U.S.'s power over the UN to put in another order for a few Black Helicopters. When they've accumulated a sufficient supply....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"stalled by asterisk"

On reading that, I thought the problem was something to do with voice-over-IP...

1. Justicesays
      Joke

Re: "stalled by asterisk"

Wait until they get around to discussing if # should be called "hash" or "pound".

2. Tom 13

Re: "stalled by asterisk"

So what you're saying is that once again we will be Saved by Zero...

7. Alan Esworthy
    Black Helicopters

Check your assumptions

How is it that so many people seem to think it is debatable at all that governments, quintessentially coercive organizations, have any legitimate basis for controlling the way individuals choose to communicate with each other? The UN is just a collection of such governments (plus a bunch of arrogant and condescending NGOs) having even less legitimacy for this and many other matters.

As for those poo-poohing those who call this a conspiracy for control, the UN's modus operandi has long been to delegate the control they crave to its member governments. Whether the regulation comes directly from the UN or form member states is irrelevant to the fact that such control is in effect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Check your assumptions

Unfortunately, part of what the ITU (and many other semi-related bodies) do allows me to view this web page and answer you who also viewed this web page.

Do we want networks to be like the railroads are/were that require(d) tracks to be laid side-by-side at the border in order for the cargo to be shifted from one to the other because the gauge of the rails is different in each country?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No it should be handed over to the corporations - then Murdoch and Haliburton could decide what websites I view and who I can email

1. Alan Esworthy

YAAC, I agree that would be undesirable. But at least Murdoch and Haliburton aren't in a position to put you in prison if you go against their wishes. Govts are in such a position.

2. Alan Esworthy

Kindly please read something about J.J.Hill and the Great Northern Railroad, then compare and contrast his private success against the very expensive and highly abusive govt-sponsored and -subsidised efforts of the rest of the (failed) American railroad robber barons. You might reconsider the "advantages" of having govt control this sort of thing.

2. Tom 13

Sorry, all governments quintessentially have that power. The trick is configuring your government so it is normally intrinsically fighting with itself instead of against its people and at the same time allowing it to configure itself so it can act as a unified whole when there is an existential threat to the people.

This topic is closed for new posts.