back to article Polish man mistakes hot iron for mobe

The scenario sounds familiar: your significant other heads out, so you decide to relax with some sport on the tellie, a beer and, because you don't want to be found out as a total layabout, out comes the iron to press a shirt or two. That's just what Polish man Thomas Paczkowski decided to do, with boxing his chosen sport. All …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Esskay
    Coat

Auditioning...

For the Polish version of Iron Man?

1. LarsG

Ironing?

That's what wives are for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironing?

"That's what wives are for."

To remind you that you haven't done it and that you need to hurry up and do the hoovering.

1. Andy ORourke
          Joke

Re: Ironing?

"That's what wives are for."

My wife has never done any ironing since I told her not to spend so long ironing my trousers -

Wife - "What do you mean, it harldy took any time at all"

Me - "It must have taken AGES to get all of those creases in the front and back of each leg"!

Maybe it's my military background or my "mild" OCD but over the 20 years we have been together I think she takes advantage of me wanting to "do things right" with the retort of "Well, you'd only (hoover / wash up / iron) it again because it's not up to your standard"

2. Simon Lynch
    Facepalm

You've been linkbaited so bad...

...that it hurts more than a hot iron pressed the side of my face.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You've been linkbaited so bad...

Yup, saw this on Facebook weeks ago, except that was (judging by the ringtone and skin colour) an Indian guy who did it to the other side of his face, while ironing a TV-shirt on the floor watching TV.

Nobody does this, your hand would be at the wrong angle to pickup an iron (vertical handle) vs your phone being horizontal on the floor, not to mention the weight and wrist movement involved to put an iron to your face as oppose to a phone (think about it).

In a non-attention seeking/fake video world, at worst you'd burn your hand while knocking the iron over.

1. Zbig
        FAIL

Re: You've been linkbaited so bad...

That, plus "Fakt" is the most crap of the crappy Polish tabloids. They just make shit up. The "injured" guy on the photo is clearly having fun at this whole thing, how one cannot see that is beyond me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad omen

Perhaps he was trying to harm the Nazarene?

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Coat

Won't happen to me

The only heat-operated iron I have at home is kept next to the 3 rolls of solder of various diameters (all lead-free crap, blame local legislation). No way I can mistake that particular iron for a phone. If I did -presumably when extremely intoxicated-, the damp sponge right next to it would prove a useful first-aid accessory. Then again, if I was THAT intoxicated I would probably catch fire instantly...

Mine's the one with the 2-pounds 25-yo badly-insulated industrial soldering iron in the pocket.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Won't happen to me

I won't use lead free solder.

Rubbish stuff, got a roll of lead soler here for use

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

damn straight, buy it online.

lead makes me horny anyway

1. Andy ORourke
          Joke

Maybe you'd also like some of the face paints for the Kiddies that have just been withdrawn from the UK market because they contain lead?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

lol yeah i would give them to someone elses kids

my kids are all lead free :D

2. Jess--

Lead in face paints = bad.. fair enough

however I will continue to use lead based solder because I actually want what I build to work for at least a couple of decades

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I use the Sn99Cu1 sort, works fine. It takes more heat and a bit of getting used to but works a hell of a lot better than SnPb or SnAgCu which is more like brazing than soldering.

The only major headache is the flux they use is prone to splatter

Someone should make a machine to recycle solder dross back into useable solder, that would be handy.

5. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Well that's gonna leave a mark

While he may have taken to sideburns too literally, I do hope he remembered to unplug the iron for that photo shoot.

Beer because it's good for burns or pizza.

6. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Pint

What a rebel!

Google Translate quotes him as saying "I like to run amok"... and he was drinking beer at breakfast time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: What a rebel!

It's five o'clock somewhere.

7. Lyle Dietz
    Coat

How do you make a Pole burn his ear?

Call him while he's ironing.

I know, I know... just hold off the howling mob for a little to give me a head start...

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: How do you make a Pole burn his ear?

It was "an Irishman" when I was at school.

8. Captain DaFt
    Coat

Could have been worse...

They could have called again!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could have been worse...They could have called again!

Or put him on hold.

9. James O'Brien
    WTF?

WTF?

How the hell do you mistake an iron, which weighs a slight bit more than a mobile, as well....a mobile? Wouldn't the weight have been enough of a give away let alone touching his face with it? Human reaction to something such as that is generally very very quick.

Just wtf?

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re: WTF?

he was on PCP

2. Bitbeisser
      Devil

Re: WTF?

Hey, it's Poland, they still have those +2kg mobile phones that look like a WWII walkie-talkie... <LOL>

10. jake Silver badge

Gawdess ... What an old, sick joke.

Never mind the fact that my Model 500 WE telephone handles nothing like my iron ... Nor is my ironing board anywhere near my office.

C'mon, ElReg. Do try to visit TheRealWorld, at least occasionally. Ta.

11. southpacificpom
    Holmes

What an arse!

It could have been worse for sure, he could have been soldering whilst applying hemorroid cream...

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Ouch

At least he didn't use the same phone on the other ear to call the ambulance...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Reg

Sir / Madam,

I feel as offended as any decent, iron-wielding Pole to find you sooooo desperate to fill in the Friday void that you resort to reaching out to seek "fucks" in foreign, IT-rich gutter (press).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I knew a guy..

..who came into work with a very red face (literally). The side of his cheek appeared very burned, as though someone had given him a right old slap with a very flat, hot object. We all asked him what had happened but he wouldn't say.

My co-workers and I pressed and pressed (pun absolutely intended) until he relented:

"I was doing some ironing, and I couldn't tell if my iron was getting hot or not.. so.. I tested it."

15. Slacker@work
    Coat

How long....

...before Apple's patent claiming division claim against Morphy Richards?

If he can mistake it for a phone it must look like a phone = if it looks like a phone it must be our patent!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long....

Surely it would be Shamsung - only their phones are as big as an iron.

16. Mako

Lucky he was ironing and not cleaning a handgun.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

.. or using a steam iron.

On the plus side, that would have at least cleaned the ear duct at the same time..

17. The Alpha Klutz
    Trollface

that pose is kinda sexy

like he's giving the iron a sexy smile or something

18. Richard Scratcher
    WTF?

Got to be a fake story surely - I don't believe it

I first heard the "how do you make a [insert national stereotype here]man burn is ear?" joke when I was at school and phones had dials.

I don't believe it!

19. chrishansenhome
    FAIL

Ear cleaning and mobile phones

An acquaintance was swabbing his ears with cotton buds. He puts one in each ear and uses them concurrently. One day while cleaning his ears his mobile phone rang. Without thinking (common for him) he picked up his phone and put it to his ear, driving the bud painfully through his eardrum. He dropped the phone, shrieked, and clapped his hands over his ears on both sides, driving the other bud through his other eardrum. Took him a while and lots of medical attention before he regained full hearing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ear cleaning and mobile phones

When I'm using the urinals sometimes I take a shit concurrently.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's OK as long as you wear your trousers inside your boots..

2. Bitbeisser

Looks like a that Pole isn't the only one who needs a tool sharpener in his shed...

20. Smallbrainfield
    WTF?

This sounds like a load of cobblers to me.

He must have been pretty wasted to mistake a heavy iron for a phone receiver.

21. PeterM42
    Facepalm

Must be a Fanbois......

..... using his iRon

22. Qwelak
    Happy

6 years ago

Back in the day there was a clip doing the rounds on email showing a gent doing precisely that. A bloke ironing a shirt on the floor, phone rings puts iron to ear, yells in pain. I found it in my old email funny archive dating to Oct 2006.

Qwelak

23. Simon Harris
    Facepalm

Just don't....

...let him into the bathroom to do any DIY requiring superglue...

'I just picked up the tube to brush my teeth and... mfnfmffnfnfnfnfnf'

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. clarknova
    Holmes

The truth is out there...

I don't believe this for a second. Every mobile phone I've ever used require a button press (or opening of a clamshell) to answer. One does not answer a mobile phone by pressing it straight to the ear.

1. Boring Bob

Re: The truth is out there...

Also what nurse put that bandage on? I doubt if he uses his left eye to listen to the telephone and there does not appear to be padding on his ear. Bit smelly this one.

1. The Alpha Klutz

the nurse was on PCP

2. deshepherd

I don't believe this for a second. Every mobile phone I've ever used require a button press (or opening of a clamshell) to answer. One does not answer a mobile phone by pressing it straight to the ear.

Might not have been a true "mobe" but a "carry-around" DECT phones ... many of those have a mode where lifting them off the base station answers to call.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Twat

Lets see how long it is before a personal injury claim goes in because "Well, i didn't know it was hot, i mean. it wasn't glowing red or anything".

Darwinian candidate, if not by design then should be enforced.....

27. Tony Green

I don't speak Polish...

... but I'd be pretty willing to bet that "Fakt" is the Polish equivalent of the Sunday Sport or Daily Mail - ie full of made-up bullshit. Either for entertainment (as in the SS) or to stir hatred (Mail).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't speak Polish...

heil!

28. sisk
    Facepalm

Life imitating fiction is bad enough. When life starts imitating racial jokes it's time for a vacation.

29. adam payne

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work with someone

Who had a crease in the shirt he was wearing for a Christmas party, he tried to iron the crease out without taking it off.

And yes he was sober, just an idiot!

31. Stratman

The really sad bit.......

.... it was a 'no win no fee' accident lawyer cold calling.

32. CCCP
    Devil

30 years old+ except less funny

When I was a lad, the story about [insert nation to disparage] went like this:

[intd] man walks into a&e with burns to both sides of his face

What happened to you?

I was ironing and the phone rang.

But why did you burn the other side of your face.

Well, I had to phone an ambulance.

Tadaa!

33. Euripides Pants
    Windows

Perhaps it was a new Microsoft phone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh-eqWwOad0

34. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Clearly..

.. he misunderstood the term "hotline"..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like