back to article AssangeTM spins Oz Senate candidacy again

Julian AssangeTM has proven yet again the international media's inability to use Google, generating a media flurry by re-announcing his intention to seek a Senate seat in Australia's 2013 election. The holed-up fugitive’s “me-for-the-Senate” plan, announced in March 2012 – nine months ago – got repeated in an interview and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The sad thing is...

.. there are some idiots out there who would actually waste their vote on him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The sad thing is...

But at least he'll take some votes away from the local Pirate Party, I would imagine there is a pretty large crossover in the demographic...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Pirate

Re: Re: The sad thing is...

"....the local Pirate Party...." As I understand it, his only chance is if he shafts the Greens. I'm sure there must be an even larger corellation between the Faithful and the Nimbys.

2. despicable me
    Meh

Er...

Julian who?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Er...

My thought exactly

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Er...

He's a bloke who's created something of a stink about himself.

And quite a bit of controversy in the press too.

3. Busby
    Paris Hilton

It's gonna take one hell of a telepresence set up for him to pull that off. Just hope the embassy has the bandwidth to manage. Wonder if he's doing it so he can then try and get sent a diplomatic passport se he can safely leave?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Max Headroom?

Sorry but I have this image that if Assange were somehow elected, he would end up having a screen with his face and a camera where he would sit.

So as he rots in the Ecuadorian Embassy, he can still be a member of the Aussie govt.

1. Psyx
        Devil

Re: Max Headroom?

"Sorry but I have this image that if Assange were somehow elected, he would end up having a screen with his face and a camera where he would sit.

So as he rots in the Ecuadorian Embassy, he can still be a member of the Aussie govt."

Well yes: He wouldn't be able to do a half-decent job in an elected role nor be able to talk to 'his' people.

Which just illustrates what an egotistical self-serving tosser he is. Standing for government SHOULD mean that you want to serve the people of your country and strive to do it well. In Julian's case it's because he wants to jerk himself off some more to another photo of himself on the front of a newspaper.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's gonna take one hell of a telepresence set up for him to pull that off.

Yup. Just the ego alone will add gigabits to the streaming requirements..

As for leaving under *any* sort of pre-text, I think he has managed to piss off enough people to make that a nigh impossibility (but, by exception, probably the one fantastically entertaining TV even he's capable of).

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

"....Wonder if he's doing it so he can then try and get sent a diplomatic passport se he can safely leave?" Merely being a senator would not qualify him for a diplomatic passport, nor would it make him immune to prosecution either here in the UK or in Sweden. All Julia Gillard has to do is let him fight the Greens out of contention, then if A$$nut does win a seat she merely waits three months during which A$$nut is stuck in either a cell in the UK, a cell in Sweden, or the Ecuadorean Embassy, then she can declare the seat vacant and appoint a new senator in A$$nut's place.

And then there is the question of whether A$$nut meets the requirements for eligibility - he hasn't been a resident since 2007 which would seem to be a lot longer than the three years allowed under voting rules.

4. Alpha Tony

Hmmm.

'he believes the Swedish charges against him will be dropped, which invites the question why he remains inside the Ecuadorian embassy. '

Beats paying rent doesn't it?

1. William Boyle

Re: Hmmm.

Well, the boneheads here in the USofA who decide such things, would like to drop him in a hole with Bradley Manning. So, I don't blame him for staying in the embassy. It may be boring, but it beats solitary in Guantanamo...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

drop him in a hole with Bradley Manning

Yawn. Evidence?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Alpha Tony - I'd imagine that he's still in there because he will actually face charges of skipping bail when he leaves and this really will likely result in prison time.

5. Ben Burch
    Flame

He can bugger off now.

He is a rape suspect pure and simple.

And one who is a fugitive from justice.

This will end when he dies of old age in that little room or when he is finally given up for extradition to Sweden for trial (and I expect, for conviction.)

1. Steven Roper
      Mushroom

Why bother with the trial?

You've already decided the man's guilty. You know, "men" like you make me sick.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Why bother with the trial?

There's nothing wrong with the OP's comment apart from the final (and I expect, for conviction.)

Innocent unless proven guilty, yes, but you can see how some are developing suspicions (if not making their mind up entirely) given the efforts that seem to be expended avoiding going to Sweden?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You've already decided the man's guilty. You know, "men" like you make me sick.

1 - apart from the expressed wish at the end it's all factual statements, and an expression of dislike/wish is a perfectly acceptable route to stating an opinion.

2 - based on verifiable information available (read: minus the hyperbole and the, umm, "creative" interpretation) and laws as they stand internationally, the wish is likely to become true. Even ignoring everything else (that's a large lot to ignore, admittedly, but let's go on just one fact at a time), Assange™ broke bail in the UK and (apart from pissing off the people who -possibly foolishly- put up his bail) that single fact is enough for jail time.

3 - swap out the name Assange™ with the name of anyone else and go through the facts again: yup. Makes no difference.

4 - gullible idiots make this farce last much longer than it deserves.

3. Psyx
        Mushroom

"You've already decided the man's guilty. You know, "men" like you make me sick."

No: He said he's a rape SUSPECT and a fugitive from justice. He is, Stephen. And if the truth makes you sick, then I'll pass you a bag, but you can get someone else to hold your hair back for you.

I don't actually give a flying F3ck about the original charges now: He's a pathetic whimpering coward who was quite happy to accept the hospitality of my country, but hasn't got the decency to obey the same laws as the rest of us, and sits there slagging the place off while evading arrest and media-whoring. He's a fugitive who is costing me money, not some white knight of freedom.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

We've already decided The Holy St Jules is innocent and perfect and anyway how can you put a God in human court and you are just jealous of his aura and I need to go take my meds now.

There, fixed it for you, Steve.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Survey results

"Assange would have to sweep a total of more than 14 percent of the distributed preferential vote to get over the line"

Poll:

http://www.theage.com.au/polls/assange-for-senate-20121212-2b9rp.html

When I last checked, with 14,113 votes cast, 73% said they would vote for Assange.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Re: Survey results

There is lies damn lies and statistics.

The point is that the stats you quote are as meaningless as Assange is as candidate.

He's worse than Billy Carter or Bill Clinton's brother..

2. Thorsten
      Boffin

Hint: Always read the label.

"Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific and reflect the opinion only of visitors who have chosen to participate."

So the result of this little poll is worth: nothing.

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

".....When I last checked, with 14,113 votes cast, 73% said they would vote for Assange." IIRC, the population of Australia is in the 21 million range, so 73% of 14,113 merely shows that a lot of vilages in Australia have given their idiots internet access.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He must have read about Ned Kelly. Got time for it now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Assange 2013!!

Why, oh why would Aussies vote for this guy? Assuming that his legal troubles end tomorrow, the guy seems to be a first-class narcissist, with a record of alienating those he works with and even wasting the money of those who believed in him enough to put up his bail with the British courts.

A) self-absorbed instead of public-spirited

B) mercurial instead of consistent and understandable

C) paranoid instead of confident

I bet that IF he wins, AND if his legal position allows him to serve, he will pull a Sarah Palin and not even finish his term in office before he goes chasing after some other bright and shiny object. And if he does serve he's going to be on the outside of the Aussie Senate and produce about as much legislation and policy as dead tree stump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Assange 2013!!

There are a number of reasons why Australians might vote for him. Some because they think it's funny (the same reason the Australian Sex Party does surprisingly well), some because they wish to express disapproval of Australia's close ties to the US (e.g. the decision to base US marines at Darwin did not go down well with some), some because it's just their way of saying "fuck you" to the man, and some because they believe he may do some good.

If he did get elected, it would most likely be at the cost of a Green senate seat.

Frankly I can't see it happening unless he somehow returns to Australia, or manages to otherwise convince the Australian Electoral Authority that he is a permanent resident (a requirement, and possibly difficult at the moment).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why, oh why would Aussies vote for this guy?

With the reasons you gave me it made me realise that there is actually possibly another country where he could do well if the impossible happened: Italy. He strikes me as the perfect partner for Berlusconi, apart from that I don't quite know what happens if you put two attention seekers with massive egos in the same room. You probably need a high ceiling to start with.

My proble is that I *like* both Oz and Italy - I wouldn't want to inflict this idiot on anyone. Having said that, judging by the sale of his book most of the public has his measure by now (oh, sorry, silly me, I used *facts* again - that's going to upset his supporters™).

1. Thorsten
        Paris Hilton

Assange™ would certainly feel at home at Berlusconi's "bunga bunga" parties...

1. Scorchio!!
          Happy

"Assange™ would certainly feel at home at Berlusconi's "bunga bunga" parties..."

Condoms neither needed nor wanted, go ahead, spray their day. ;->

9. mhoulden
    Trollface

If Pauline Hanson was the Oxley Moron, maybe Assange could be the Ayers Cock.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Chance of Julian Assange Being Elected to the Senate?

The authoritative view of Anthony Green, Australia's acknowledged expert on matters electoral.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Chance of Julian Assange Being Elected to the Senate?

From the article: It requires a party name of up to six words that must not be obscene

Well, for Assange that rules "Labour" party out then..

11. J.G.Harston Silver badge

He may be able to register as an overseas *elector*, but I don't see how he can be an overseas *candidate*.

...tho' thinking about the hundreds of UK nomination submissions I've supervised I can't actually think of any part of the process that requires the physical presence of the candidate. As long as their signiture is on the papers, that's all they (the candidate) needs to do.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon I hope

Soon I hope that ASSange is shot, hung or otherwise silenced - all legally of course because he's constantly making an Arse of himself.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Re: Soon I hope

"Ah, a shill for the American Empire." Ah, one of the unoriginal Faithful. <Yawn>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Soon I hope

shot, hung or otherwise silenced

Why martyr him? Just investigate what he has been accused of. It's reasonable to assume there is something to the Swedish accusations, because that's the only real reason I can come up with that would justify his fanatic fighting not to face the investigation. The rest is BS that has been disproved enough times not to waste any time on it.

What I like is that he's made it certain he's going to be locked up somewhere for a while: the stunt in the UK took care of that. If he really thinks that laws are only written for other people I think it's time he acted on that assumption and gave himself up.

It was a good idea he trained himself to live in small places. He's going to need that..

13. Magani
    Headmaster

Any chance...

... you might like to add an 's' to the following:

"...since Australian electoral math ...";

this being an Australian/English site and not a US/English one?

14. taxman
    Big Brother

Hidden Economy

And who is paying the cost of making sure he remains holed up in 'Ecuador'. After all, the cost of having one or two of our 'finest' standing outside on watch, and having a bag/car/van/lorry/helicoptor/plane on standby ready to dispose of the body......er....extradite him, doesn't come cheap.

These one night stands are costing this country a lot of money.

15. Valeyard
    Trollface

Judging by upvote and downvotes in previous posts...

....I FULL SUPPORT ASSANGE. HE IS AN IMPORTANT PERSON AND THE MAN IS TRYING TO SILENCE HIM

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Judging by upvote and downvotes in previous posts...

FFS.

1 - fix your caps lock

2 - clarify "the man"

3 - get the dosage right

1. Valeyard

FFS

1-it was intentional

2-i charge extra for that kinky stuff

3-your mum

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Quality response - I even upvoted it myself for sheer humour value :)

16. teebie

"Assange told ABC Radio he believes the allegations against him in Sweden will be dropped, which invites the question why he remains inside the Ecuadorian embassy."

Because it isn't the future yet?

17. mr. deadlift
    Joke

clearly...

...he's doing it for the, diplomatic immunity.

hah!

18. Rather Notsay
    Devil

Why not the lower house? Parhaps it's because he knows nobody really likes him.

19. Robert Brockway
    Linux

Electoral role

IANAL but by my reading I don't believe Julian Assange is eligible to be elected. The requirements are set out here:

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/guides/briefno19

In particular I think he fails criteria 3 under Candidates, which states "an elector entitled to vote or a person qualified to become an elector."

After you've been non-resident in Australia for too long you are automatically removed from the roll. You can only apply to be an 'eligible overseas elector' within three years of becoming non-resident. Assange has been gone for so long I think he must have been removed from the electoral roll and could not get back on it without returning to Australia to live. As such I think he is neither an elector entitled to vote, nor a person qualified to become an elector.

I could easily see this going to court for a decision.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like