back to article Microsoft rolling out Windows Phone 8 update in Europe

European Windows Phone 8 customers have reportedly begun receiving the first over-the-air update to Microsoft's latest mobile OS, just six weeks after the platform's formal launch on October 29. As first reported by Windows Phone Central, the update is being pushed out to international versions of the HTC 8X handset. Those …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

Clippy returns

It looks like you're trying to make a phone call...

1. LarsG
      Meh

There is

Obviously some nasty bug they want rid of before the world finds out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it need to reboot three times before it's done installing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Does it need to reboot three times before it's done installing?"

Nope...because they know it will crash and/or reboot anyway so they will just take advantage "performance enhancing" modes.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

At least

No one has slagged of Apple (yet). Sigh.

IOS has its faults

Android has its faults

Windows 8 has its faults

so get over it ok?

Microsoft are fixing a problem with their software. Good for them. That is more than HTC has done with Android Phone..

1. LarsG
      Meh

Re: At least

So you bring it up? Good on you!

4. mlowijs
    Happy

HTC 8X owner here.

Update installed flawlessly, fixed the reboot bug I had, added some nice features: what else can I say than 'great!'

At least it didn't break any functionality (I'm looking at you, iOS)...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Update installed flawlessly, fixed the reboot bug I had, added some nice features: what else can I say than 'great!'

But how was it for the other WP8 user?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Two down votes. I'd better correct myself:

How was it for the other two WP8 users?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...

Added the ability to save draft text messages? Holy sh*t, my ten year+ old Nokia didn't have that feature, I better run out and get one straight away...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Erm...

And if you somehow have second thoughts on the way to the shop remember you can also now reject calls with a text message, which I supposed they felt obliged to include been on other handsets for about 5+ years but it's yet to be proven if anyone's actually used it. Really used it, instead of pressing the button by accident.

2. mrfill
      Happy

You must have bought the wrong Nokia - I have a 3410 and a 6310 which both save messages to drafts.

Bloody good phones they were....

1. Thomas 4

I miss my 6210. The battery life on it was eternal and it was pretty decent at taking and receiving calls.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I miss my 6210"

No problem buying one on Fleabay, I'm sure, so why not go back to one?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How it is better...

My iPhone can't save draft text messages... Just sayin'

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Choice is good

So is competition. It brings out the best in manufacturers. I don't feel the least bit threatened by the fact that not everyone uses a phone with the same OS as me.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Choice is good

The only threat to worry about is some idiot engineer copying the UI mistakes *from* Windows/WinPhone into Android or IOS.

Microsoft already took inspiration from the grossly over simplified look&feel of Android ICS, then maxed it out as Metro for maximum ugliness, minimum visual clues for the hapless user. It's a visual styling race to the bottom with no winners :(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Choice is good

Windows Phone's style is a copy of Android 4?

Android ICS (4.0) release date October 2011.

Windows Phone 7 release date October 2010.

What's wrong with this picture?

Did Microsoft have a time machine to go forward a year to copy Android ICS?

More likely ICS is inspired by WP7's style. We all know Google has no idea at all about graphic design, they just copy copy copy.

7. AlexS
    Facepalm

And in further dramatic news an update has been released for software... This NEVER EVER HAPPENS EVER ;)

1. Thomas 4

Don't be too quick...

It never bloody happened on my Motorola. >:(

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

??????

... and the ability to reject calls by sending an automated, prewritten text.

What is that all about? And is one aware of the phone's action/interaction?

1. El Andy

Re: ??????

"What is that all about? And is one aware of the phone's action/interaction?"

Basically you can configure up to four replies, then when you're phone rings you can choose to send one of those (or just go straight to writing a full text message in reply) to the caller instead of just rejecting the call. It's a neat little feature for quickly sending a "Sorry can't take your call right now, but will call you back when I can" type messages so people know you aren't ignoring them.

You can always switch it off completely if you don't like it as well.

9. Simon Beckett
    Thumb Up

Warning, may contain positive comments

I've had my 820 for a couple of weeks and for a brand new product with a brand new operating system it seems pretty sorted. Irritations? Yes of course... My WM6.5 had the ability to reject calls with a text, and I missed it. The call quality at my end isn't great so I find myself using my Jabra a lot. The calendar takes ages to sync unless I add something to it and then it does everything. Battery life's not as good as my HTC HD2 but then I'm using it a lot more. Positives? The voice recognition is excellent out of the box with no training (more than could be said for the first incarnation of Siri), it reads me my text messages and allows me to dictate responses. The interface is easy to use and a lot more flexible, I haven't needed to buy windows mobile 8 for dummies yet. The back button is truly inspired, probably the most useful thing I've seen in ages.

It is all horses for courses, as an earlier poster said at least they are issuing fixes, and I'm sure they'll fix my gripes. And as a later poster said, all the phone OS's have their problems, some inherent in the OS, some inherent in the hardware, and some inherent in the manufacturers implementation of the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Warning, may contain positive comments

There's been quite a lot of people moving from iOS and Android to Windows Phone. So it is gaining interest in some quarters.

The policy towards updates is surely a good reason. You can even elect to receive updates and bypass carrier approval (but obviously lose some sort of technical support from your carrier).

10. Techs UK
    Facepalm

I'm glad the WiFi goes off

I didn't that that was a bug, who wants the WiFi draining the battery when you don't need it? The baked in music streamers and stuff can persist the connection if they want. This makes the ability for an app to persist the connection available to all.

WiFi persists anyway when power is plugged in for a few minutes on my wife's 7.5 and my Lumia 920.

No reboots or crashes on the 920 for me

1. PCX
      Angel

Re: I'm glad the WiFi goes off

It's not about that WiFi goes off, the problem is that it goes off and mobile data kick's in draining Your Allowance (if You have one)

and consider a scenario when you left your phone on the table for few minutes and you have all your business emails setup, unless You "wake up" your phone You wont get email notifications ( this will happen only when mobile data is disabled ).

11. Roger Anderson

HTC-8X Updated successfully

Updated completed on my unlocked HTC-8X. Didn't have the rebooting issue so can't comment on that but received the messaging upgrades described in the article. A small but appreciated upgrade to the phone, hope there is more to come.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have an 8s for testing purposes and "the ability to reject calls by sending an automated, prewritten text." is already available.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 cleans the floor with its competition regards useability.

Instead of bitching like your lass, why not try it? Take your droid/apple glasses off first, if that is possible?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like