back to article John McAfee: Let me go to the USA - or old Blighty

Former anti-virus mogul turned fugitive John McAfee has appealed to be allowed to return to the United States rather than deported from Guatemala to Belize. Authorities in Belize want to question McAfee as a person of interest in the murder of his neighbour, Gregory Faull. McAfee went into hiding with his 20-year-old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. My Alter Ego

US or Blighty

What's the difference? He'll end up in the US either way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: US or Blighty

Why are you saying that - the US has no interest in him.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

What's the difference? He'll end up in the US either way.

You reckon? If he comes back here they'll struggle to hold him, and he'll end up in the Ecuadorean embassy along with another unwanted guest.

Arguably that could be a good thing.

3. Martin Huizing
      Flame

If he really wanted to go to the us, he would have strapped a few jerrycans of oil around his waste.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My favourite line of Hunter S Thompson's obituary was:

"...he lived in a mutual and very real balance of terror with the local law enforcement authorities"

[edited 20 seconds after posting to correct 'favourite lie' to 'favourite line']

3. El Presidente
    Thumb Up

He can come and stop with us for Xmas if he likes.

He seems like he'd be very good value on a night out down the pub.

4. dotdavid
    Black Helicopters

"during which he fell against a wall and further injured himself"

You mean "repeatedly fell against a wall and further injured himself", surely?

5. Cliff

Can we get him and Assange together?

Just get the feeing they'd get along.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can we get him and Assange together?

As long as Assange realises that McAfee bending to pick up the soap in the shower does not constitute or imply consent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

It's taken a lot of weirdness, but we almost to the point where if you get Assange and McAfee together, Assange could wear the "I'm with crazy" T-shirt.

2. TRT Silver badge
        Devil

As long as Assange realises that McAfee bending to pick up the soap in the shower does not constitute or imply consent.

Yeah, but at least then you'd know if Assange had a virus or not.

2. southpacificpom
      Go

Sounds a good idea but, theres only so many rooms at the Ecuadorian Hilton.

6. Boyd Crow

Standard Operating Procedure

If someone dies next door, the police will want to question you. McAfee should be able to find a lawyer he can trust who will accompany him during the questioning. No judge is going to indulge his paranoia without proof. My guess is he will eventually be committed to a mental institution as a danger to himself and others.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Standard Operating Procedure

I think you're missing the point.

BELIZE IS CORRUPT

I suspect you don't realize what that means.

Check out this depressing youtube clip on the state of Belize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgCDSBM2Sqc

1. Roger 11

But the thing has gotten so much publicity that it would be ill advised for Belize to screw up things.

2. david wilson

>>"I think you're missing the point."

>>"BELIZE IS CORRUPT"

Well, it seems he had more choice whether or not to live there than many residents might have had.

If someone moves somewhere they think is corrupt to avoid paying tax elsewhere, and/or to make their millions go further after they pissed most of them away, and then starts complaining that they think the place is corrupt, they may well get limited sympathy from a lot of people.

7. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Thing is once he is back across the border, the Belizian rozzers can do whatever they want to him, no matter how sadistic, and no one will believe it.

8. kissingthecarpet
    Headmaster

Why oh why

did the author go out of his way to describe "bath salts" as "narcotic"? Do he even know what "narcosis" means? If not, look it up - you're meant to be a writer.

Certainly, "bath salts" isn't exactly well-known for its relaxing & sleep/unconsciousness-inducing properties, unless you find speed psychosis & screaming mania relaxing, of course.

Just because the Yanks constantly misuse the word, you don't have to.

1. El Presidente
      Windows

Re: Why oh why? Laziness + Sensationalism = Clicks = Ad Revenue

It does beg the question 'does the author have any evidence to back up his assertions'

I'd guess no, John Leyden has no evidence to back up his assertions so a re-read of McNaes might be required. I don't think 'trusted source' means 'read it on two websites on tham thar interwebs'

Disappointment is magnified when you expect better and it's not delivered.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why oh why? Laziness + Sensationalism = Clicks = Ad Revenue

"It does beg the question ..."

"I'd guess no ..."

Those two really don't go together. I suppose that makes two bad writers here :)

2. Pet Peeve
      Pint

Re: Why oh why

Lighten up, Francis.

"bath salts" is code for a number of drug analogs - there are ones that are cannabinoids, and others that have other effects, including wall-climbing insanity and/or zombieism (the last according to a story coming out of Florida earlier this year).

... or so I've heard, anyway - when people walk about this stuff, I generally run as fast as possible the other direction, possible in the direction of one of these:

<---

9. Azzy

Sounds like he ran out of bath salts

and came to his senses.

10. JimC
    Coat

So we have

one intenet "celebrity" shut up in a South American Embassy attempting to avoid extradition from one part of Europe to another, another such "celebrity" attempting to avoiding extradition between different parts of south America, Then of course we also have the mcKinnon extradition, thingummy dot com and so on...

How long before some enterprising soul puts together an iphone game involving the components of dubious ceebrity, extradition, alleged crimes and unusual personality traits? Could be a nice little earner...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't want him and I'm sure Blighty feels the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hell no! I fear that should he and Assange collide, it could result in the annihilation of civilisation.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Meh

Or maybe they'd cancel each other out, causing a mass outbreak of common sense.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Send his ass back to the US

Just another rich and arrogant gringo who thinks they can do what they want.

13. RISC OS
    Joke

I heard...

...he is wanted for installing crapware on newly purchased computers

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Gordon Fecyk
    Coffee/keyboard

Where's Rob Rosenberger on this?

'He told the FT that he took the software off his own computer. “It’s too annoying," he told the FT.'

Thank-you John McAfee, for finally acknowledging the obvious. And also no-thanks for acquiring and killing Snapgear; that was not appreciated.

McAfee started signature-based virus scanning, a lazy IT press jumped on it, and now we're stuck with after-the-fact security-blanket crapware. Acquiring real security companies just to kill them just adds insult to injury.

16. sisk

So he's fleeing a corrupt government and wants to come the US? Is it just me or does that seem counterproductive?

17. westlake

No safety net.

Belize has had an extradition treaty with the US for twelve years.

The Treaty provides for a broad range of cooperation in criminal matters. Mutual assistance available under the Treaty includes....transferring persons in custody for testimony or other purposes....

GEORGE W. BUSH.

TREATY WITH BELIZE ON MUTUAL LEGAL ASSISTANCE IN CRIMINAL MATTERS

1. bugalugs

Re: No safety net.

It's a good idea, but what would the Belizians charge Mr Bush with ?

18. tkioz
    Unhappy

Okay this started off as funny, now it's just sad. This guy needs professional help; he's clearly off his rocker.

1. sisk

Unless the corruption in Belize really is that bad. It's possible that everything he's claimed is true. Certainly the people around him seem to believe him, even if it does sound crazy.

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that they really are out to get him, at least until I know more about the situation. It's not like he'd be the first person to go on the run from false charges trumped up by some powerful entity.

1. tkioz

Okay maybe he is telling the truth... but honestly it couldn't hurt to have him checked out. What harm could it do? Hell lets assume he is telling the truth, in that case the stress he would be under would be massive, so it would do him so good that way as well!

19. oddie
    Pint

please let there be a movie being planned

I don't know if its too early to hope for a movie, seeing as things could still turn out pretty bad for the man (and if they do it usually takes a while before it becomes acceptable to make entertainment out of it), but this sounds like the plot for a very very good movie... something sitting between the life of the mentioned mr.Thompson and mr.Mesrine...

20. Grease Monkey Silver badge
    Coat

A tampon up his nose?

I always said he was a...

Never mind, I'm getting it.

21. kain preacher

IRS

I wounder if Uncle Sam might deice he owes back taxes.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

He is a complete fruit loop who should be removed of all things dangerous to him (such as his brain) and thrown in a nice warm padded cell with a teddy bear.

Big Brother because everyone is out to get him right?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You think he's crazy

We're still running McAfee.

1. TRT Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: You think he's crazy

It might have been a clean get away if it weren't for the fact that McAfee runs so slowly.

2. Robert Grant
      Happy

Re: You think he's crazy

We'll still be running McAfee long after McAfee's stopped running.

24. Ketlan
    Thumb Down

Get lost

'John McAfee: Let me go to the USA - or old Blighty'

We don't want him.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

Re: Get lost

Yes. It's often been said that what many would call "mad", the British refer to as "eccentric".

He seems to have gone the extra mile and achieved the state that the British refer to as; "as mad as a box of frogs".

1. kain preacher
        Holmes

Re: Get lost

I was thinking mad as a hatter.

25. Tree
    Alien

Like his antivirus, his Brain is Bloated

Just like OJ Simpson's slow speed chase McAfee's antics are tantamount to an admission of guilt. But maybe his brain is so fried on something that this is normal for him.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like