back to article The Mirror website cracked

The website for UK tabloid The Mirror has been unavailable all day. Visitors to www.mirror.co.uk are met by a blank page. A spokesman for Trinity Mirror Group, the paper's owners, could only tell us the site had been down since first thing this morning and techies were working to fix a "technical glitch". He did not know …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Angus Wood

Domain expiry

Their web site now redirects to www.internic.co.uk so im assuming it's a simple domain expiry rather than a hack.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err.. works for me

Just slow.

As an aside, whilst waiting for the page to load I noticed that the CSS classes for the page are hosted by icenetwork.co.uk

Interesting only because after browsing to their website I get the following message -

"Hello..."

"Welcome to IceNetwork"

"There's not much to see I'm afraid"

"So piss off"

3. MrWeeble

wrong url

www.themirror.co.uk maybe redirecting to internic (indeed if you look at the wayback machine it has been since 1999) but that is because The Mirror's website is at www.mirror.co.uk and not www.themirror.co.uk as the article incorrectly claims.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dodgy registration

"Registrant's address:

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their

address omitted from the WHOIS service. "

Non-trading? Is there something going on at The Mirror that they're not telling us about?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also....

I see The Telegraph's just gone walkies again.

Guess that their DOS woes are not over yet.

TeeCee

6. Darren Coleman

Errr, wrong domain?

mirror.co.uk is indeed blank, but themirror.co.uk is registered to a private individual and points to Internic (so probably just a holding page/cybersquatter).

There's nothing to suggest themirror.co.uk was ever owned or hosted by MGN Limited.

7. Ally G

mirror.co.uk not themirror.co.uk

Ha!

schoolboy error. the domain doesn't go anywhere near internic and it does have nameservers

whois mirror.co.uk

Registrant's agent:

Trinity Mirror Digital Media Ltd [Tag = TRINITYNEWMEDIA]

URL: http://www.mirror.co.uk

its just slow, probably a DDos cause they've miffed someone.

pure and utter speculation.

8. Kevin Fullerton

DNS problems

Looks like it's DNS issues rather than domain expiry - the whois record for themirror.co.uk shows it as registered till 14th June 2006.

NS records for the domain are ns[12].zales.co.uk - zales.co.uk was registered by the same person that registered themirror.co.uk - and www.zales.co.uk goes to Internic as well, so looks like a DNS/hosting issue rather than domain expiry/hacked website

9. Alex Schlup

No DNS Servers

A whois shows that their domain has not expired.

Their nameservers however appear to have disappeared. They don't respond to a ping. Even if they are there (but with ICMP blocked) they certainly aren't serving up domain information for themirror.co.uk

The servers are :

ns1.zales.co.uk.

ns2.zales.co.uk.

Anyone who can reach the site must be working on cached domain information.

10. Dennis

But which mirror?

Google tells me that the web site for The Daily Mirror is www.mirror.co.uk

A quick whois on themirror.co.uk shows it to be a "UK individual" not a limited company.

It looks like www.themirror.co.uk is a small scarlet fish and is just domain sitting by "Andrew Michael Phillips".

But, this doesn't explain why there is no response from www.mirror.co.uk

11. Alex Schlup

Email

If they use email addresses in the themirror.co.uk domain, they will not have been working either.

12. Graham Marsden

And...?

> Visitors to www.mirror.co.uk are met by a blank page.

And this is a problem because...?

13. Pete Silver badge

mirror cracked?

well that's 7 years bad luck then

14. Steve J. Rapaport

Lady of Shallott unavailable for comment

Those round the web were forced to bide;

The Mirror crack'd from side to side;

"The curse is come upon me," cried

The Lady of Shalott.

Apologies to Tennyson

This topic is closed for new posts.