Seeing other user's posts

This topic was created by dotdavid .

1. dotdavid
    Facepalm

Seeing other user's posts

Hi,

Logged into El Reg and went to "My Posts" and was quite surprised to see another user's posts (for the username python_regius). Being the nosy type I looked up their real name (which was also displayed) on our company intranet and it turns out they work for the same company as me, so we had a chat but couldn't work out what was happening (he has been occasionally seeing my posts too and certainly has been today).

Is there some silly bug in your user management code? It looks to me to be quite a serious privacy failure.

If you need more info I'm happy to discuss over email. Presumably you'll have that if you're an El Reg troubleshooter (or just a random user that can click on "your" My Posts section!)

- D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bug?: Seeing other user's posts

Thanks for the heads-up.

Not heard of this before. Obviously we need to figure out what is happening.

Am ccing our devs, who will contact you via email.

2. dotdavid

Thanks Drew.

Your dev thinks it might be our company proxy misbehaving which strikes me as quite possible. If it were happening to everyone there would probably be more fuss, after all! ;-)

3. Richard 120

Just happened to me

I had the same experience, I'm also behind a company poxy server.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just happened to me

Thanks for tip. I don't know what we can do about this at our end but will consult.

1. jake Silver badge

@Drewc (was: Re: Just happened to me)

All you can do is block the miss-configured IP addresses at the routers when they revile[1] themselves. Chances are the supposed sysadmin is completely clueless and the entire system is full of holes ... better to ostracize them. Makes local maintenance much easier.

They shouldn't be reading/writing ElReg at work anyway, the skivers.

[1] Intended ... I know how to splel "reveal", ta you very much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon