back to article Rare critical Word vuln is the star of December Patch Tuesday

Microsoft is planning to release seven bulletins next Tuesday, five of which tackle critical vulnerabilities, as part of its final Patch Tuesday update of 2012. All currently supported operating systems (including Windows 8 and Windows RT) will need patching. The updates feature critical updates for Redmond's IE 9 and IE 10 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. an it guy

so, it's a good thing that the number of 'critical' remains the same. Good marketing spiel. I wo0uld personally be working to reduce the critical ones and the important ones would fall as well. hmmm.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Criticals went up... how this is "good" I'm not sure

1. Ben Tasker

Jumped from 34% to 42% in fact.

In reality it means little as it tells us nothing about how many vulnerabilities there are in a fully patched install (could be none, could be millions, if we knew, they'd be fixing them!). That extra one they found this year could be the last (though I doubt it). Stats really are meaningless in this area, unless your aim is to say "We fix things once we know they're broken"

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

"We fix things once we know they're broken"

Which is better than "we know it's broken but we can't be arsed", as seen from time to time...

1. Adam 1

Re: "We fix things once we know they're broken"

Agreed

[ cough] Apple [ cough]

Sorry, I had better get that seen to.

2. RICHTO
          Mushroom

Critical Vulnerabilities went up from 34 to 35. Versus the vast growth in functionality and number of code lines in Microsoft products, that's an obvious improvement. And an order of magnitude better than Linux or OS-X.

2. exexpat

is there ever going to be a service pack 2 for windows 7? With clean installs this is getting very silly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not planned at this time

...from what I hear. I imagine at some point the corporates - who seem to be skipping Win8 for the most part - will bitch and moan enough to get one.

Or not... I don't think Microsoft wants 7 to be the next XP. IIRC, a Service Pack release restarts the support lifespan clock.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Not planned at this time @AC

Microsoft support policy for service packs:

"Support ends 24 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first."

Windows 7 is supported until 2020, which is about 2 years less than XP support. The original mainstream support for XP was until 2006 but that was extended to 2009 because Vista was late to the party and the reasoning was that companies would - quite reasonably - wait for SP1, and the XP support should overlap until that SP1.

2. James O'Brien
      Unhappy

One word answer?

No.

3. N2
      Meh

SP2 for W7?

I think they called it Windows 8.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just slipstream the patches into your Windows 7 build: http://dfarq.homeip.net/2011/09/how-to-slipstream-ie9-and-hotfixes-into-windows-7-step-by-step/

1. Paul 129
        Thumb Up

wsusoffline

Is also well worth checking out. (for those without the luxury of a wipe and reinstall from an image)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Which Word?

Would that be Word 2010 or Word 2012 ?

I know the latest Office isn't available through public channels yet but it is already out there, so I wouldn't be surprised to see such patches pop up as well.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

And they said they re-wrote Office from the ground up for RT

Yet there are oddly similar patches coming out for Office x86 and Office RT.

I'm pretty sure there's Program Manager buried somewhere in Win RT. When will the source code reach critical mass? (When the Visual Sourcesafe database corrupts of course.)

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: And they said they re-wrote Office from the ground up for RT

MS use Team Foundation Server.

But hey, it was more imaginative than Eadon's FUD. Well done.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I obviously do recognise that they haven't re-written everything from the ground up. I do wish they'd stop the marketing nonsense. If I were president of the world they'd be banned from selling just for claiming that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably not, Program Manager bought it with the upgrade to Windows XP SP2.

And just to go a bit off topic, grouping your different types of program into groups (with the same program being available in multiple groups if you wanted) was actually a pretty nice way of working. Certainly nicer than the daft 'everything on the one desktop' model they adopted with Windows 95- in fact it was revived by some of the custom ROMs for Windows Mobile 5 (and then copied by Android) doing exactly that with it's home pages idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I've said before here: Writing something from scratch, based on specification documents, can mean that you end up with the same bugs in pre-rewrite and post-rewrite versions of the code, because the specification was where the problem originated.

I speak as someone who specifies software as a living - I research systems and then specify how I want the software my company makes to interact with that software that we interact with. We work on software that runs on Windows, Linux and UNIXes and quite often see the same problems on all OSes, when the problem is my specification.

4. Richard 26

Microsoft really need an electrician to check that floating ground of theirs.

5. Silverburn
    Windows

Yay! The initiative is working!

Boo! Still far too many findings!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like