back to article Tiscali boss faces board showdown as sell-off rumours swirl

The boss of Italian telecoms firm Tiscali, which has about two million UK broadband subscribers, is expected to quit the firm today. The firm's board will meet this afternoon to decide Tommaso Pompei's future and, it's reported, set the scene for a sell-off of the group's ISP businesses. The crunch confab follows speculation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gautam
    Stop

Bad news

This would mean bad news for UK customers and prices. Surely they did rock the boat when they were giving BB for a little more than a tenner(albeit 150 Kbps!).

2. Whitter
    Thumb Up

Good news

Not sure that it is bad news: more like a great oppertunity to get out of any long term contract you have with this shoddy service and get a better ISP.

3. Adam Trickett
    Linux

Death to Tiscali

I'll be glad to see the back of them. Ever since they took over Pipex and hence Nildram the service standard from Nildram has deteriorated. That's not to say that Pipex were brilliant either, Nildram was far better when they were independent.

The only thing that scares me about the death of Tiscali is which even bigger idiot takes over the company and makes things worse.

4. ben
    Coat

Big fleas and little fleas...

The free market will out. The big guys will always buy the little guys... and the consumer will eventually suffer.

Mind you with Tiscali's CS record, as far as Broadband is concerned, "things can only get better" to quote a well known election anthem... and yes I am well aware just how successful that anthem was for the party concerned.

/me Getting my coat for being old enough to remember the song

5. Philip Cheeseman
    Thumb Down

Can't sell it to anyone who would be worse

After my broadband connect was acquired by tiscali (f2s > pipex > tiscali) the service has been abysmal at around 6 o'clock each night for the last week.

Never had a problem for last 4 years I've been with F2s. Needless to say I won't be renewing when I move house at the end of the year.

6. Chad H.
    Happy

this is a good thing for uk consumers!

Is tiscalli is sold, their former customers have a chance at decent service.

7. Tom Adair

Rats leaving the sinking ship

I wonder if Tiscali are realising that their customer base is leaving them en masse, certainly the Pipex forums on thinkbroadband are full of people leaving, I for one left 2 weeks ago, and havent looked back since, gone from a lowly 512k (which at times had dropped to 160k in the weeks before I left) to a nice 1.7mb connection with sky (I'm quite far from the exchange, only got broadband when BT raised the adsl max distance limits in 2004).

8. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

@ Chad H.

Provided it isn't sold to a spammer.

9. Nick Palmer

@Adam Trickett

Too bloody right; Nildram used to be fantastic, but Pipex were awful and Tiscali an utter disaster.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

You pay peanuts you get monkeys

Don't need to say much more really.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sell it to Branson

No reason at all, just first name to come to mind.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Mycho

Actually, many good reasons.

email at VM related companies is in need of a face lift.

UI for customers are stronger on Pipex and Tiscali services.

Pipex's 123reg could take the hosting/domain business that ntl telewest busines do, and do it better.

VM network does lots of backhaul for both anyway, so that'd be internalised easliy.

Paris, because even she knows it'd be a good idea...

13. Andy Livingstone

Tiscali

As an ex-customer of a decent ISP taken over by Tiscali, I'm with Frankie Howard......Up Pompeii!!!!!

14. Jamie
    Linux

Doom and gloom

I was with Pipex and fought for over year because my service would drop off for hours at a time. Switched to another provider and have had some drops but they usually are about 2-10 minutes and only happen once to twice a month, not bad since the pc is never turned off.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Are they really that bad???

I am constantly uploading a MMS stream and I download gigs at a time at night and honsetly, I have little problems with Tiscali apart from the upload speed could be better, but most of my problems are due to a crappy phoneline.

I have only had a 1 hr down once within 3 years, which isnt bad for a online 100% of the time connection.

16. Martin Lyne

Hmm

Wouldn't it be funny if all the ISPs get bought by BT? I'm not sure who I dislike more, BT or Tiscali. I wish there was a be* option where I am moving tomorrow. *Laments*

17. Sam
    Coat

@ Chris Williams..

Pompei...How come you didn't wangle the word "eruption" into the article?

The ash covered toga, ta.

18. colin syme

tiscali RIP

whitter says , good time to extract yourself from contract? zat true? hope so. l am with pipex and still have six months to go, Legally, can l jump ship ? anyone have ideas on a good provider in UK? Pipex is lame, l thought BT was bad but l jumped from the pan into an egg-cup!

19. NickC

Ironic

Having had my BB with Pipex broken by BT following an account c**k up and since I'd already decided to leave Pipex following the sell off to Tiscali I moved to BT who have given me sterling service since. It is ironic that BT may actually buy Tiscali. Perhaps I should have stayed with Pipex after all !!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like