back to article I've got the 'fastest growing THINGY ever', boasts Google+ chief

Google veep Vic Gundotra has described Google+ as "the fastest-growing network thingy ever." He claimed that 135 million people were now actively using it, while 500 million users have been signed up to the site. He added that 235 million peeps had used Google+ to do things like "hanging out" with their chums in Gmail. The ad …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

Google worries me

They track you via ads;

They track you via your email (if you use gmail);

They track you via your Kobo (see ads);

They now track you via social media;

They could track you via your mobile (and probably do is you a Google Maps or something running).

Am I being paranoid or there just too much of a threat from Google these days?

1. Rob

Re: Google worries me

If the threat is that they will use that data to corner and assassinate you, then yes they are a threat. If it's using that data to build a marketable profile of you as an individual to push more adverts your way and sell that data to other businesses for the sake of free services on the internet then probably not so much. Although I would keep an eye on what Google is tracking and maybe have a clean-up once in awhile using the dashboard.

1. DJ Smiley
        Angel

Indeed, when it finally means I get adverts that are both relevant and maybe advertises will learn not to use explosive flashing ads to try and get my attention then again, I'm all for it.

I've _never_ brought something online from clicking an ad online, I go directly to sites to buy things I already know I want before I even booted the system. I don't see what they hope to get from me, but if it means I get more wonderful free services as I have now then go ahead.

2. Darryl

Great, now you've got me worried about Google hit squads lurking in the shadows

1. toadwarrior

They do have their own drones now. They claim it is to help endangered species but I suspect there is more going on. The species bit is just for testing, IMO.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you have any idea how HARD it is not to click on ads? Have a little sympathy for us mortals, Mr. Superman.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Naturally, since you find Google a worry, you don't have a Facebook account. They are, after all, far, far worse.

1. toadwarrior

I don't like Facebook but you do need to back up your claim. FB, IMO, have a lot of user but they don't have phones, browsers, and piles of other interlinked devices and software to spy on you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They also lobby politicans heavily to change the law to be in their favour which undermines democracy.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

However with Google, you have the option of opting out, clearing your privacy, or even downloading ALL your content.

Facebook and Microsoft are a million times more evil. I have no problems with tracking I have no problems with adverts as long as they are relevant and not in my face, and the more the track me, the more relevant those adverts will be.

1. jai

<oblig Goodwins>

Hitler: a million times more evil than Stalin or Pol Pot.

So that's all right then.

</oblig Goodwins>

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The anonymous poster has no problems with tracking. Get a user name and that might be slightly more believable.

What you really mean is you don't have a problem with Google tracking you because you work for their PR department. You may want to be a little less blatant in your astroturfing, it's just too obvious to be believable...

1. The BigYin

"The anonymous poster has no problems with tracking."

I believe it's called a "negative profile". You don't need to be on there, you just need to be tagged/mentioned in posts and can be profiled from that. FB apparently do this.

I'm not worried about the Google Death Squads or anything, I'm just worried about the creeping invasion of privacy. What used to be done in public, but was reasonable anonymous, is now open to scrutiny and potential misuse.

2. Tilman Ahr

Well, you know... First time I downvoted a post. Telling someone off for posting anonymously as A.C. explains what is wrong with this world on SO many levels...

Oh, just for the record: I use some of what google offers, and I believe the way they exploit my data is at least fairly upfront. Which can't be said of many others.

3. Davie Dee

I actually have no problem with google doing whatever it wants, its up to the user to decide if they want to use it, my problem is that its not always clear when your getting in to bed with google.

A great example is Chrome, again I have no issue with the browser, I don't use it but that's my choice, however why is it that Chrome sees fit to have its self installed with just about any piece of software you download from the net now a days, with tick boxes that "suggest" you must install this to get the program you want working or recommended settings that also installs it, its this underhand way of getting you installing their stuff that really pisses me off.

Ive lost count of the times relatives computers have had chrome installed with absolutely no knowledge from the user (that's to say the user didn't know what they were agreeing to rather than google doing it by its self!)

Apparently Chrome users are sky rocketing, if my experience is anything to go by then a large chuck of that is probably by users that don't even know what browser they are using.

I know MS has had a monopoly for decades on this but could you imagine the shit storm that would be fired MSs way if it did try it, I mean, Christ, they got in to trouble for using double negatives on your default browser question in 98, that used to get fired up whenever you opened a different browser

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"A great example is Chrome, again I have no issue with the browser, I don't use it but that's my choice, however why is it that Chrome sees fit to have its self installed with just about any piece of software you download from the net now a days, with tick boxes that "suggest" you must install this to get the program you want working or recommended settings that also installs it, its this underhand way of getting you installing their stuff that really pisses me off."

This has more to do with places like CNET offering 'free' downloads that are actually just other peoples' software installers encased in a crapware wrapper. It used to be that if you downloaded something from download.com it tried to get you to install the Yahoo toolbar, hoping you wouldn't notice the tickbox whilst clicking 'next'. These days it's chrome. They do it because they get paid for each user that installs the crapware and since the actual software the user wants wasn't created by CNET the only real cost to them is in bandwidth.

Not that Google and Yahoo are blameless. If they were really appalled by the practice and only wanted users who hadn't been tricked into installing their software they'd refuse to pay CNET.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Their motto is "Don't Be Evil".

So there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except they dropped that a few years ago. I guess they could no longer say it and still keep a straight face.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google doesn't worry me, but spare a thought for who they might pass on the data they've collected about you.

e.g. I don't recall ever telling Google directly in my YouTube or gmail account (only needed for my Android tablet) what county or town I live in, but somehow the weather app that came on my Android tablet knows what town I live in without me telling it...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        Boffin

Nope, your tablet knows where it is.

I'd guess the app simply defaulted to "the town you're currently in" when it started up for the first time. It's a fairly reasonable assumption for any software developer to make.

How did the tablet know where you are?

If it's got a cellular telephone system, that's enough to pick a town - and often enough to locate within a few hundred metres. GPS would clearly work down to much finer position.

If it has neither of those, it's still got WiFi, so it just looks up locations of the visible access points on the Google database. Originally acquired by Google Street View cars, and continually updated by any GPS-equipped device owner using Google Location Services (as per their terms of use).

Apple and Microsoft do exactly the same thing - just without the cars.

1. Thomas Allen
          Meh

Re: Google worries me - About GeoLocation

Easy to find your approximate location, for majority of users. Almost anyone (in usa especially) can be geolocated from their IP address - anyone who has a large commercial ISP can be easily geolocated as close as town and even city block, at least in the USA. Try these services at GeoBytes as an example - it pinpoints me to within 3 miles or so.

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

1. Tom 38

Re: Google worries me - About GeoLocation

Please, if GeoIP even gets the right country I'm impressed. Doing Geo IP on my phone will return the same location each time, and never anywhere near where I actually am. Doing it on my home connection shows says that I'm in the Netherlands, and from work it says I'm in Germany.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but somehow the weather app that came on my Android tablet knows what town I live in without me telling it..."

Must be a conspiracy. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with checking which base-station / wifi hotspot your tablet is near and then cross referencing this with a database of base-station / wifi hotspot locations...

3. ChrisInAStrangeLand
        FAIL

That's just IP Geolocation. The databases are public knowledge, every time you connect to a web service you're telling the service provider, roughly, where in the world you are.

7. Cliff

A card popped up on my whatevertheycallthatthing today, it told me how far it estimated I had walked this month compared with last month. Blimey, that felt like a line.

2. Richard Jukes

The only threat is if you resist.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Is this growth or just re-assignment?

Zero to 500 million would be growth, but I suspect that 499 million (or more) were already with Gmail and are now on G+ simply because Google bolted a G+ account onto the side of their existing customers. So there would be no growth at all there, just paper (or button) pushing bureaucracy.

1. IglooDude

Re: Is this growth or just re-assignment?

Indeed. Millions of people "hanging out in Gmail" (i.e. having the browser open to read your email) is some kind of endorsement of Google+ ? I wonder whether he really believes what he's saying or just better at saying such things with a straight face than most.

1. DJ Smiley
        Headmaster

I believe it means the Google Hangout feature - which lets you do a multiple webcam chat ala "Skype".

1. sabroni Silver badge

If you believe that then you didn't read what he said carefully enough. If Google+ genuinely starts to be successful the tone of press releases will change and we'll get real numbers against real services. This is clearly just bluster.

4. Manny Bianco
    Meh

I deleted my Google+

Didn't use it. It's an awful experience.

I use Facebook, but block everything they try and throw at me.

1. ArmanX

Re: I deleted my Google+

I've tried using Facebook... at first, I used their services normally. After a change or two in their privacy policy (and a few irritating picture deletions), I stopped uploading images. Then, I started using FB in a 'private session', deleting all the cookies, etc., after I'd logged in. When that stopped working (I forget exactly, I think it was a Flash cookie or similar), I started using a browser in a frozen virtual machine (it reset everything when I closed it), but that was a huge pain. I used the mobile app until it started reading my text messages. At this point, the only way I interact with it is through email.

Google+ may suck, but at least it's better than Facebook. Not a rousing approval, but still. No one can say that they don't use Google because they swipe information from you, and still be able to use Facebook. I mean, seriously - when was the last time Google used your face to promote businesses you've never heard of?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: I deleted my Google+

> Google+ may suck, but at least it's better than Facebook.

As in "Syphilis may suck, but at least it's better than AIDS"? That's a great endorsement

Ever thought of just reading a good book, or watching a film, instead?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What he didn't mention is that all of those active logins are just people logging in to cancel the flippin spam emails they send out every week.

1. DJ Smiley
      Trollface

Ah AC, do you have an example? I've been using G+ from an early invite and I've never gotten any spam about it.

Then again your posting as AC so I suspect trolling is afoot.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

No, spamming is what caused me to kill my G+ account (Along with not being Spartacus, I'm also no the AC above though). Suddenly I started getting emails from Google with 'the top ten stories on Google +'. Nothing relating to any minor activity I'd ever had on there.

Well that was a reminder that I'd signed up to it, liked the interface, but no-one else was on there. So after getting a couple of these crappy emails in a couple of days, I committed suiGooglycide. Turns out you can have a Gmail account without G+, if you press the right set of buttons.

1. JetSetJim

spam from +

I plonked a profile on G+ moderately early on after it got opened to the public but have never received any spam (even the "top 10 stories" stuff).

Removing G+ is apparently done via https://plus.google.com/u/0/downgrade - available in your privacy settings

Re: spam from +

I got my G+ account during the invite only period. Don't know if that means the default settings were different then, or I failed to untick a box that asked them to send me pointless emails.

The people who rabidly defend Google + seem to see it as an interesting place to talk with people they don't know, about interesting stuff, more than they see it as a social network. Which might explain why Google were sending out those emails. But they just annoyed me.

If my family preferred G+ to Facebook I'd be extremely happy. The only thing I use FB for is to keep up with them, and see pictures of the kids. I'm not really a social networking sort of chap. The Facebook UI is horrible, confusing, and seems to change every month. G+ is much nicer, and easier to use.

1. Sporkinum

That's one of the things I don't get about facebook people. Didn't you use email before? CC's work fine if you want to communicate with a bunch of people. It really is not difficult to attach pictures to email, or imbed links to pictures.

I totally disagree with you. I also think you've rather missed the point of Facebook. And I don't even like it. I'd send out emails to people, but then I wouldn't communicate that amount of stuff.

However if my Sister-in-law wants to put 35 photos of her kids and their friends enjoying a birthday party that's fine. And why shouldn't she. It's a much more efficient way of distributing that amongst the parents of those kids that she's friends with. Rather than sending out 10-20 emails with 35 pictures on each. We'd soon need more bandwidth...

This way, she puts it all on FB, and people can look at their own kid's piccies, and make comments about how cute they are. I can come along every few months and see a selection of cute pictures of my nephews and sis-in-law has had a place to easily communicate with her friends. Everyone's a winner. Until Facebook do something horrible with all her data anyway...

Alternatively she'd have to write a separate email to each parent, with their portion of piccies, a bit of text, and send it all off - taking up lots of time and bandwidth.

It's one thing to not enjoy that sort of thing (I agree), or to raise legitimate concerns about privacy (I also agree), but another to say that people aren't enjoying something that' they patently are.

The thing I don't get about many El Reg commentards is how they can't understand that other people like/use/need different things than they do.

2. Tilman Ahr

on the other hand: the g+ Android app... If I ever catch the fucker who designed that, I'll never have to worry about rent again...

2. Habeeb

G+ for Picassa shares

I tried a similar path and then realised that I needed an occasional G+ account for when a few (only 2 of my mates are on it regularly - and of them post the same message to fB as well so technically its only one silly sod who posts to G+) friends share their pictures. For whatever reason, their Picasa (or whatever its called now) photo shares requires a G+ account to view (forget about commenting... just view!) Only way I can see is if I download the individual pics from the email link directly... which is fine for a few pictures but a PITA for larger albums... bugger....

so I have a G+ account just for this :(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL, more misguided crap from idiotic writers

The clear pretense is that Google+ is direct competition to Facebook (which is handy for page hits, as every loves to create interesting fights and generate ad-revenue).

That assumption is fatally flawed (as anyone that's genuinely used Google+ knows). Google+ is to me, the best bits of Twitter, the best bits of Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and MySpace..

As if you add yourself to the right circles, it's FAR more engaging than any of them (or all of them combined).. Google have created the perfect social network.

http://www.slideshare.net/gideonro/shared-interest-graph-11874142

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: LOL, more misguided crap from idiotic writers

Most. Apt. Title. Ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re (as anyone that's genuinely used Google+ knows).

Ah, only true Google+ users know it's power! If you used it and didn't like it you're obviously not a Genuine User!

You were holding Google+ wrong.

1. Tom 7

Re: Re (as anyone that's genuinely used Google+ knows).

You probably were holding Google+ wrong too!

If I was still working on several projects in several teams I'd happily use it for that. It really is quite good if you know what your doing.

20 years ago everyone would have loved it but not now - it expects you to be able to do very simple management tasks like make decisions about who should be in what circle and which circle to post things in. You know the important ones that you've left to IT and longer have a clue about anymore.

Its your right to dump all your crap in one pile but that doesn’t make Google+ shite. - that’s being held by the wrong user.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> Google+ is to me, the best bits of Twitter, the best bits of Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and MySpace.<<

Wow, the best bits of them combined! And still people say Google+ is shit! Who would have thought it?!

1. ArmanX
        Trollface

Personally, I think this speaks volumes for social media. All the best bits and it's still crap? Sounds about right to me...

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Stop

> the best bits of them combined! And still people say Google+ is shit!

Come on, give him credit. Not many people would pick through five turds looking for the best bits before starting to polish.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I agree with your criticism of the article not so sure of the rest. I think Google+, or just the Google account's most significant impact is as a gatekeeper function - effectively every one of those 1 million Android activations per day are new Google+ accounts. Even if these users never use the "social" stuff, Google is already winning the mobile game with them every time the browse the Play store. I don't use much of the other Google services such as mail or calendar but I think Google has got data protection largely right - even if the data they collect from my use of the store or Google maps is anonymous it's still very valuable and not just for the dreaded ads - even from the anonymous data they probably already know that I never click on the adverts - but they know more and more about the kinds of services (what, when and where) I use.

Back to the gatekeeper function - because it's at the heart of Android it's pretty seamless so users are blissfully unaware of it: additional features just become available and the more those services resemble things I want to use, the more likely I am to use them or miss them when they are no longer available. It's a long game but I am genuinely impressed by how Google is going about this: I'm being sucked in without being aware of it precisely because so little has Google+ plastered all over it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use it. It's not too bad, because it doesn't have many users. If everyone comes over from Twitter and Facebook, G+ will be just as bad. It's already slipping.

7. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Worth another look

From time to time I sign in to Google+ just to listen to the wind blowing around the empty and shuttered up buildings and watch the tumbleweed roll past.

Very atmospheric.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Worth another look

That's what I do on Facebook and Twitter sometimes - sign up for an account, not add anyone and then sit there in awe at it's silence.

Then I get bored and add some people and they both come to life, just like G+ does.

Only a total fucking retard would think they could sign up and people would stop what they were doing and add them to your circle. That only happens for Lady Gaga and Barak Obama, the rest of us need to engage with others...

2. Alan_Peery

Re: Worth another look

You know, a book is pretty boring until you open it. Take a few minutes and personalize it.

Do a topic based search, and start from there. Try "https://plus.google.com/u/0/s/%22Space%20X%22" as an example. Read the post and comments. Then click the pictures of the most interesting commentators, and follow them. Pretty soon you you'll have an interesting feed.

If you're using a mobile device, try watching the "nearby" circle. In addition to learning that some of your neighbours are truly strange, you may find someone who works just short distance away that you'd never cross paths with otherwise that is an intesting person. I've found some fellow cyclists, and a gent with a 3d printer, and some people interested in the big planning application just down the road.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand the words from Gundotra

What is "the stream", and are the "135 million" disjoint from the "235 million", while both are subsets of the "500 million", so only 130 million are totally inactive, or what exactly?

I suspect the words are deliberately vague and ambiguous.

9. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Ads?

Google's collection and analysis of my web habits might be a bit sinister, but there are add-ons which make sure that I don't see any of the advertising they push my way. They'll also block the G+ icon from websites - although it takes a bit of effort.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Ads?

The real question is whether you're stopping Google getting the ad revenue or not. If they're tracking you, serving you targeted ads and you have something that stops them showing then they're still making money off you.

A better fix would be to stop them tracking you in the first place. To my mind all you're really doing is shutting your eyes and going "la la la, can't see you tracking me!"...

1. mickey mouse the fith

Firefox+ghostery+adblock+noscript+clear all data on browser close=browsing happiness.

No tracking,no annoying ads ruining the atmos, no stupid social network +1 icons,faster page loads with no flannel, pure bliss.....

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

HT for Ghostery. Thanks.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

I've never paid a penny to Google, so I don't see how they are "making money off me". If you are correct that they get paid by their customers based on the number of ads they send out, rather than evidenced increase in revenue due to the ads then their customers are fools, and we all know what happens to fools' money.

10. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I ended up signed to it even though I didn't want to be. I forget what happened but I was trying to do something else and was told if I wanted to continue I'd need a Google+ account. I've never been on the site because I think it's a load of twaddle but I've now had three emails telling me about people I might know.

If that's how Google+ is growing then I don't think it counts.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'd not be so bad were they not so keen on making your identity public. Some of us have unusual or even unique names, making us perfect targets for the nutballs in the YouTube comments section (which is why I have so far declined Google's kind offer).

1. mickey mouse the fith

"It'd not be so bad were they not so keen on making your identity public. Some of us have unusual or even unique names, making us perfect targets for the nutballs in the YouTube comments section (which is why I have so far declined Google's kind offer)."

I noticed google play will also soon need a g+ account for you to leave comments. The solution is to create a dummy g+ profile with nothing but lies in the "about me" bit and all tracking/spamming features turned off.

I really dont know how they think requiring a g+ profile will reduce trolling etc in the comments as trolls will just create fake accounts and all the plebs with real profiles will now be that much easier to troll/stalk/have their identity stolen. Tis madness I tell e.

12. frank ly

I was hijacked and added to a nutter's circles

I tried it at first, just to see what was going on. I didn't post anything, just read streams (or whatever they are called). About 50% of posts on a stream were adverts for some product.

Later, there was an 'awesome picture' stream which did indeed have lots of very impressive photos, probably lifted from somewhere else. One was so good, and so beautiful (to my eyes), that I commented on it, adding to the many comments already posted.

Two days later, on logging in, I noticed that I had been added to one of the circles of some guy who was Italian, a minor EU functionary and worked in some EU offices in Brussels (I read his profile). This was a man who had 50,000 people in his circles and a big cheesy smile photo of him at his office desk - obviously a sad nutter.

I managed to ban/block him, eventually; but I bet I'm still listed in his circles.

So, when this sad nutter goes on the rampage with a machine gun, after poisoning the local water supply, the anti-terrorist police will have my name as one of his 'associates'. Great!

13. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

'fastest growing THINGY ever'

50 comments, and not one Blackadder joke? Slow day, guys?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"hanging out" with their chums in Gmail

I sometimes worry that I spend too much time online but I haven't sunk that low.

15. Peter Murphy
    Unhappy

Facebook ≈ Google+

That's Google+'s problem: they provide roughly the same features that Facebook has. Both support posts, both support comments on posts, both have a concept of "friendship", and both even allow you to split your "friends" into groups. Google+'s Circles are far easier to use than Facebook's lists, but Circles are not the game changer that Google expected it to be.

There are some differences - more games on Facebook, video chat on Google+ - but it's true to say that both are operating in the same paradigm. Google+ might be trying to catch up in numbers, but so many people are so time-poor that they can't bother supporting two social networks. So they're going to stick with the one with most of their friends - i.e., Facebook.

Until Google+ comes up with something that breaks the paradigm - some sort of system that makes the graphics out of "Minority Report" look like a punch card machine - they'll be lagging behind Facebook indefinitely.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

I don't know if I Google+

I have a gmail account. I have an android phone and a Google Play account. I sometimes use my gmail id to log into other sites.

I think it is quite likely that they already consider me a member/user of G+, if only a dormant one. I dare not go there to find out, because I'm quite sure that, from that moment, I will be chained to the G+ for ever more.

It's a bit like what I was taught about the Roman Catholic Church, (by RC Priests at an RC School)... Everyone in the world is a Catholic: it's just that there are practising and non-practising Catholics.

17. Miek
    Linux

"while 500 million users were forced to sign up to the site when creating a Google account" -- Fixed that for you.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If a thing is free, YOU are the product being sold

That is all.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"signed up and dont even know it" sounds like the summary of an ofcom report into data theft.

-ok, when I've stopped laughing, sounds like ofcom would like to if they had gums to store their imaginary teeth in.

This topic is closed for new posts.