back to article China admits $10 BEEELLION tech trade deficit

Despite a growing trade surplus with the rest of the world and a claim to be the global centre of tech manufacturing, China’s technology exports were worth $US10bn less than its imports in 2011. Zhou Liujun, a senior official with the Ministry of Commerce, told a press conference at the Shanghai International Technology Fair …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just technology

Australian exports to China are worth $77 billion, while our imports from China are worth $43 billion.

Start digging!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just technology

Shit! That'll be a hell of a pile uranium!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Not just technology

Start digging? More like keep digging, and keep your fingers crossed that China's infrastructure growth doesn't slow down. Otherwise it's curtains for the commodity markets, given the global capacity that's come on stream in recent years.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Devil

Too much blood in the coffee subsystem this morning

OK, call me an idiot, but if everyone has a trade deficit and is pretending to import more than export where is all that sh*t manufactured?

I smell something something fishy... Like the smell of massaged stats early in the morning to have an excuse to continue sabotaging other countries economies by artificially adjusting the yuan exchange rate...

1. Mayhem
      Coat

Re: Too much blood in the coffee subsystem this morning

It must be all those Windows licences that they're using - perhaps there should be a chinese version of Linux to bring balance to the trade?

1. mhenriday
        Boffin

Re: «It must be all those Windows licences that they're using -

perhaps there should be a chinese version of Linux to bring balance to the trade?» There is, indeed, at least one Chinese version of Linux, Red Flag Linux. Never tested it, so can't say how good it is....

Henri

2. Euripides Pants

Re: where is all that sh*t manufactured?

Pellucidar.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too much blood in the coffee subsystem this morning

READ "The $10bn+ tech trade deficit is at odds with China’s overall surplus, which widened to $32bn in October, its biggest in 45 months"

3. Robert Forsyth

Barbecue set proffit

Windows or Mac PC not so much

4. Phil Endecott

Definition of "technology"

What counts as "technology" in these stats?

1. Steve Todd

Re: Definition of "technology"

I suspect they count things like buying a fleet of 60 Airbus A320s, not something they will be doing on an ongoing basis I wouldn't have thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Definition of "technology"

"buying a fleet of 60 Airbus A320s, not something they will be doing on an ongoing basis I wouldn't have thought."

Normally they only need to import one example of a tech product....

Having said, that Airbus recognise this, and have established a local "final assembly" plant in Tinjin. Whether that's enough to stop very similar aircraft appearing from different, non-Airbus factories only time will tell.

5. graeme leggett Silver badge

"China has made important technology advances "

Any specifics?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In this fast paced market

We find it hard to import all your tech, effectively copy it and punt it back out before newer versions are released.

We will work harder with out copy centres and rectify this mistake soon.

7. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

So, let me get this straight.

Pretty much everything I ever see these days is manufactured in China. They then send the items back to the people who paid for them to be built, and then import them?

If this isn't what is happening, then someone is telling porkies somewhere.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Royalties and license fees. to US /Japan/EU companies ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like