back to article John McAfee remains on the run, but outside Belize

Reports of John McAfee arrest on the Mexico-Belize border have turned out to be a false positive. The eccentric tech millionaire, named by Belize police as "person of interest" in the murder of his neighbour Gregory Faull three weeks ago, was reported to have been arrested by his own The Hinterland blog on Saturday. The same …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew Anderson

As much as it makes a good story

No one actually believes in any of the shit he says I hope. This is the delusions of a mad man. He is clearly away with the friggen fairies, onboard the Mars rover and navigating through planets faster than any decent handful of magic mushrooms could get one within 30 minutes of ingestion. Speaking of mushrooms, he is obviously living on top of one with white spots and a red cap. That would be the mushroom I'm talking aboots, not the crazy guy, who probably will disguise himself as a mushroom to evade capture at the same time as providing several mushroom passports to throw the man in charge off his mushroom cap. Nutter.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Devil

Re: As much as it makes a good story

I agree that this guy sounds crazy as a box of frogs. Nevertheless, Central American countries aren't exactly famous for fairness, openness and lack of corruption in their criminal justice system. Being wanted as a 'person of interest' and not as a suspect is what the police are saying. Who knows how that will change once they have McAfee in custody?

1. Psyx
        Thumb Up

"Central American countries aren't exactly famous for fairness, openness and lack of corruption in their criminal justice system. "

Yeah, so it's a GREAT idea when you have a bunch of assets in one of them and live there to go on the internet and call the government and police and bunch of corrupt dog-murderers who are trying to frame you and/or murder you.

I'm not sure if he's more delusional or attention-seeking.

But if this is what Assange would be like after a pile of mind-altering drugs, then I say we give him some!

2. kb
        Megaphone

While this is true just talk to any cops about bath salts and get ready to hear some horror stories, this garbage makes PCP look like a slight pot buzz. The paranoia especially is dangerous, the buzz gives them what they feel is a heightened awareness of what is going on around them and that coupled with EXTREME paranoia makes them VERY dangerous. I have a friend whose ex is in a mental facility now because he did bath salts and went stark raving bonkers, to this day he has extreme bouts of paranoia nearly 2 years after doing it.

2. Katie Saucey
    WTF?

Really? A North Korean passport? WTF?

1. FrankAlphaXII

I doubt it was a real live DPRK passport. They're not exactly hard to forge though, and North Korean passports aren't machine readable which is probably the real reason they picked a DPRK passport for it, if it indeed occurred at all. In fact its the one part of the story which makes (sort of) sense.

3. HCV
    Coffee/keyboard

In other words

Message follows, comprising two parts:

1. I have been conducting an extensive ongoing campaign of misinformation. It's pretty much what I do.

2. Additionally, here are some things that are absolutely true. Please believe them.

Your pal,

John

1. Steve Knox

Re: In other words

I have been conducting an extensive ongoing campaign of misinformation. It's pretty much what I do.

Since 1992, or earlier, even. See, e.g, http://www.thehackademy.net/madchat/vxdevl/papers/avers/michtime.txt.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: In other words

Message follows, comprising two parts:

1. I have been conducting an extensive ongoing campaign of misinformation. It's pretty much what I do.

2. Additionally, here are some things that are absolutely true. Please believe them.

Your pal,

John

HCV,

You forgot to add:

3. Wubble, wubble, wubble.

4. fearnothing
    Trollface

You couldn't make this shit up.

Oh wait, he is.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I really hope he doesn't return to Belize

Because now I've gone and read all about it on Wikipedia already, thanks to the tantalising info about the short wet border with Mexico in yesterday's "capture story". He really should go on a grand tour of other obscure parts, a sort of "Where in the World is Carmen McAfee?" - so that NORK passport detail seems promising stuff (if a little clichéd - too many stories on PRK lately; lazy writing by his media team...)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

"Darkness........Twin Darkness. "

7. supreme-overlord

The nutbar is strong in this one

Mad as a bag of hammers

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"carrying a North Korean passport"

The name in the passport, Kim Jong-McAfee, is a bit of a giveaway.

9. Flawless101
    Go

gold, pure gold. I will sad when it ends.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

I completely agree.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

30-day free trial

Will he get a free 30-day free trial?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

So this is why McAfee cashed out and left the Valley.....

Because he's nutty as a fruitcake!!

Well, I wish good luck to him and many hours of entertainment to those reading McAfee's weird travelogue.

12. aregross

Dr. Thompson couldn't have done this any better!

13. Chris007
    Coat

I wonder

what the 20 year old Sam sees in the 67 year old multi-millionaire(?)...

(with thanks to Mrs Merton for that one)

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. ItsNotMe
    Happy

Not to worry...

...he'll likely turn up at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London any day now.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Not to worry...

Granted, that would be pure comedy gold. To be fair, though, the Ecuadorians have filled their "Batshit Crazy Refugee" quota for the year and it's someone else's turn to step up to the line.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"detained in Mexico for pre-planned misbehavior, but due to indifference on the part of authorities was evicted from the jail"

This has to be the first time I've heard someone being disappointed about being thrown out of a Mexican prison...

17. Petrea Mitchell
    Facepalm

What kind of a two-bit operation is this...

"My "double", carrying on a North Korean passport under my name, was in fact detained in Mexico for pre-planned misbehavior, but due to indifference on the part of authorities was evicted from the jail [...]"

How incompetent do you have to be make a deliberate attempt to be arrested in Mexico while carrying an almost obviously forged passport... and fail at it???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: What kind of a two-bit operation is this...

He should have gone to the UK and insulted veterans on Facebook.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Chance of him Turning Up in London

And demanding political asylum in Ecuador?

19. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

As easy as falling out of bed

McAfee concludes by criticising the police in Belize for arresting his friends and neighbours and the mainstream media for going to "extraordinary lengths" in portraying him as a "drug crazed madman".

If by "extraordinary lengths" he means asking the world to pay attention to what he has done in public, I must agree.

This topic is closed for new posts.