back to article Iran's Photoshop FAIL: 'New drone' actually Japanese university bird

Earlier this month Iran showed off its latest drone design, but on examination the photographs bear a striking similarity to those coming out of Japan's Chiba University. The connection was spotted by pilot, and blogger, Gary Mortimer, who felt the design of the KOKER-1 looked familiar but had to spend a few weeks remembering …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Not to be confused with a HOLODECK

Of course this is all PROOF POSITIVE that Iran is just WEEKS AWAY from a RED LINE beyond which it will cause the SECOND HOLOCAUST by WIPING ISRAEL OFF THE MAP using NUKES manually made by PERSIAN CHILDREN exploited in UNDERGROUND CAVES covered by 7 (SEVEN) METER OF REINFORCED CONCRETE, thus RUNNING RINGS AROUND THE IAEA INSPECTIONS.

We must ACT NOW, demand that the USA do not allow any DAYLIGHT TO BE CREATED BETWEEN IT AND ISRAEL and hope that ISRAEL NAZIFIES ITSELF AT THE NEXT ELECTIONS into the IRON WILL OF MANLY DEFIANCE.

Send PANIC REMINDERS to your friends and whitehouse.gov!

1. TRT Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Not to be confused with a HOLODECK

Ha ha! Am I the only one who read that as IKEA inspections?!

2. Charles 9
      Joke

ONLY seven meters? I recall conventional JDAMs capable of penetrating that depth. You must be thinking more in the neighborhood of SEVENTY meters of reinforced concrete, plus built into the side of a huge mountain massive enough to withstand a single dead-on hit from an H-bomb (but then, what's to stop a follow-on shot).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's like we're living the 80's all over again. A severe global economic depression/international debt crisis, a nuclear power plant disaster, a major oil spill, continuous wars, etc. Oh, and Iran in the final stages of making a nuclear bomb:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2blHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jv8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=3017%2C3344475

Makes you wonder whether humans will ever become civilised, or are destined to just keep repeating history.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We will only stop having wars when they no longer function as the fastest and least controlled method to convert taxes into profit..

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I do hope so. Israel will be a so more pleasant and peaceful place as the world's largest glow-in-the-dark car park. And it would be one less terrorist state...

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Sorry - are we now allowing blatantly racist comments to stand? And re the OP - Israel can't nazify (wtf that is) itself you ignorant ass, read some history, preferably not one written by David Irving - Iran is headed by a government whose sworn aim is the destruction of Israel and you wonder why the Israelis get a little twitchy at the thought of a nuclear armed Iran.

5. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      WTF?

????

How do we know the Chiba University folks didn't steal the Iranian's photo, and Photo Shop those windmills in? Eh?

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They could photoshop Israel out of existence

And just tell their mindless followers that they destroyed Israel once and for all. It would certainly save on fuel and ammunition.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Invade now

This shows Iran possesses pictures of WMDs (weapons of minimal destruction) - we must invade now.

It's still more evidence than we had for their next door neighbours

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Invade now

Well, hopefully the Iranian nuclear programme is similarly a product of photoshop and penis envy. In which case an Israeli cyber-strike on the single working computer in Iran can take down its bootleg copy of Photoshop, and all of the Middle East can go back to business as usual*.

* BAU being the repression of Arab populations by undemocratic Arab governments, the undemocritisation of any that they do elect, and the continual whingeing by all sides over Palestine and who flung the first handful of sheep dung.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Invade now

Everyday that passes the whole "undemocratic easterners" thing wears a little thinner considering what our own lot get up to (or we discover what they've been getting up to for decades).

3. El_Fev
    Thumb Up

We should tell BAE of this, might save us some money, forget making anything just photoshop the bugger. I say we get ourselves some X-Wings

1. SwedishCodeMaffia

Worst idea ever

Disney would sue the crap out of you, which is far worse than a WMD incentivized invasion

4. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Mushroom

You decadent westerners will DIE

of fits of laughter at our l33t photoshop skillz.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Happy

Re: You decadent westerners will DIE

I nearly suffocated with laughter!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Priceless

I did a search on the Koker-1 and found this priceless discussion.

1. ian 22

Re: Priceless

KOKUP-1. Har har har! Cough. Bloody fags. Flithy habit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We may laugh...

...but some hapless Iranian will probably be strung up for this.

1. Katie Saucey
      Joke

Re: We may laugh...

Pics or it didn't happen! oh wait ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those pesky Japanese STEALING from Iran AGAIN!

Then photoshopping in some windmills - like that's going to fool ANYONE!

1. pepper

Re: Those pesky Japanese STEALING from Iran AGAIN!

Damn right you are! Now the japanese uncovered the secret invisible-yet-shadowy windmills!

2. Charles 9

Actually, they were Photoshopped OUT. The picture with the windmills is the ORIGINAL picture, taken in Japan where they DO conduct windmill research.

1. phear46

Im not even sure if Charles is trolling in some way or if he just didn't get the joke here....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Either way, we expect better from a copper vulture.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

On the contrary... having no sense of humor and responding to every dry comment on these forums is likely the quickest route to a copper icon.

2. James O'Brien
        Paris Hilton

I hope that he missed the joke. Either that or my brain just shut down for no reason from what he said in reply.

3. LinkOfHyrule
        Stop

Actually both pictures have been 'Shopped!

Both countries decided the picture would be greatly enhanced by the addition of a concrete 1970s council housing block in Solihull!

4. Vic

> The picture with the windmills is the ORIGINAL picture

That whooshing noise you can hear? It's the joke. Look up, you'll still see it.

Vic.

1. Charles 9
          Joke

No thanks. I nearly got decapitated last time I raised my head. Some of those jokes can be awfully sharp, you see.

BTW, if you're gonna instill some humor, do be a dear and let us know. Some humor can be so dry it's taken seriously. If you're gonna insist on the V mask, add a Joke Alert tag or something.

5. Lamont Cranston

I'm just glad THAT Charles 9 is here, as SOMEONE needs to take this STORY seriously (and WANTONLY abuse the SHIFT-key).

8. Charles Calthrop

drone believe the hype

9. SwedishCodeMaffia
    Mushroom

Images suggest that

North Korea recently tested out a Deathstar

10. Scarborough Dave
    Coffee/keyboard

Keyboard!

built by Iranian scientists, scientists who presumably aren't fans of windmills but like the shadows they leave.

11. Ted Treen
    Pirate

Nice knowing you, Bill...

...The fatwah's in the post, I should imagine.

12. The FunkeyGibbon
    FAIL

Iran aren't the only fail here...

"It's like spot the difference, onky without any difference"

It's like English except not proofread.

13. ratfox
    Happy

Surprising it took so long to find out

Just searching for the Iranian picture on Google search returns the Japanese picture among the results.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ratfox

I think its more surprising how fast Google catches up these days ;-)

14. Arachnoid
    Facepalm

Well it sure beats a fake moon landing

15. M Gale

I think I found the original image!

Yep. It was those crazy Dutch who invented it all along!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Propellerganda

What's really sad is that these photos are almost certainly produced for the Iranian people to view and be fooled by, and the reason they removed the windmills is because their public are too stupid to realise they have nothing to do with the drone. They needed a big and clearly defined gap to understand where the building ends and the drone begins, showing to even the most flat-Earthing Persian that this thing really is flying in the air and isn't being propped up by a stand or being blown aloft by several large fans (windmills) below.

1. Michael Dunn
      Pint

Re: Propellerganda

Love that word!

Have one on me (next time you're in Crete)!

17. ideapete

Yup and the Onion says

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/pint_32.png Yup and the Onion says their Nuke stuff is Photoshop tooooo so there and if its the Onion its gotta be true not that Econermissed it stuff.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Yup and the Onion says

I not sure what you are trying to say.

But this creased me up:

" BEIJING (AP) — The online version of China's Communist Party newspaper has hailed a report by The Onion naming North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un as the "Sexiest Man Alive" — apparently unaware it is satire."

- http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g94TAgX61U0KSmll8j0J432fAv0Q?docId=82dfc9b60cad45f89bc82e5983d0dd61

18. Bleepme
    FAIL

LOL

That's it really. Just LOL

19. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Pirate

Ok, but how far does their hubris extend?

The people that want to bomb them back to the last century keep talking about how crazy they are.

I don't think they are that crazy.

But let us assume they are as crazy as those people say.

Do you think their hubris would extend to blowing up an American War Ship?

Easily done. Don't even need the sunburns from russia that they may or may not have.

Of course they won't. Because they know that the us will turn them to glass.

So where do they draw the line?

I suspect they know they are going to be pounded.

They also know there is nothing they can do about it.

But what if they really do have a 'mad dog' somewhere in power?

Oh boy, these sure are interesting times.

And no I wouldn't like them to sink a Nimitz class ship. Too many dumb animals ((c) Henry Kissinger) would have to die. Too many mums would have to cry. No one deserves that. Then again, they are the fodder. The cannon fodder, the missile fodder. Kissinger makes the policy. The Sailors and Marines of the USA have to live or die by that policy. Right or wrong.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: Ok, but how far does their hubris extend?

You have a state with, let's be kind, a volatile leadership. They repeatedly state their intention to destroy their enemies. They insist on a nuclear program, denying it's for anything but domestic power production but refuse international observers access. You wonder why the western powers are concerned.

Not sure quite what relevence Kissinger has to this, however.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hope they don't copy some Apple design...

... or some US court will declare war on Iran for patent infringiment!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hope they don't copy some Apple design...

uuuuuh! Fanboys really lacking sense of humor when it comes to their Jesus toys...! LOL!

21. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

Be Afraid VERY Afraid

Iran has also just released pictures of their progress on their nuclear program. Picture to your left

22. John Deeb
    Holmes

Uhmmm, any pointer to the original news item done by any official Iranian agency?

Many lazy news agencies just grab a picture from the Net as illustration. There might not be any actual image released. Actually posting pictures of any secret spy device would defeat the purpose. And surely they could draw a fantasy aircraft if pure deception was the intention...

This fail seems mostly upon the growing inability to source stories and illustration. Welcome to the Echo well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"Many lazy news agencies just grab a picture from the Net as illustration."

Then who shopped it, and why? If the lazy news agencies are lazy enough to filch a picture (which in this case would be quite bizarre) they're unlikely to be lazy enough to remove the windmills (but not change anything else).

What's strange is that it would have been considerably easier to get someone at an actual Iranian research institution to grab a picture from the same angle, and photoshop the vehicle *into* it. Nice solid background, easy lighting...

Deception is wasted on the deceptive.

23. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

OK ARG Rule

This fail seems mostly upon the growing inability to source stories and illustration. Welcome to the Echo well. …. John Deeb Posted Wednesday 28th November 2012 22:53 GMT

That is as a result of a Non Viable Imagination. SMARTR Enabled IT is Heavenly is the Message Energising Global Operating Devices with Bounty to Impart and Share.

And what Fortly Worth and Prime Value, Fine Fabless Future Intellectual Property …. for is that not the Present Missing Link in All Current Intelligence and Future IntelAIgent Supply Chains from Command for Control of All Powers in Live Operational Virtual Environments.

If you want a New Future, Virtual Invent and Share what you like to do in Private and Open Space Places. Making IT Attractive Generates Anticipatory Interest and Participatory Excitement in Adventures in Influential Virtual Zones.

ARG Rules OK.

You know it makes QuITe Perfect Sense.

That was pretty nifty of the Iranians/Japanese/Dutch though ....... to have a simple picture paint thousands of words whenever the opposite is true and much easier ...... a few words paints thousands of pictures.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

iran caught using warez photoshop

That's a good enough reason to invade, isn't it?

25. Amorous Cowherder

Photoshop, the curse of the modern photo competition!

As the gentlemen who had the UK Landscape Photographer prize taken away from him recently, will testify.

26. HappyCoder
    FAIL

All your drone are belong to us.

27. jeff42

ohhh so according to this article that Iranian UAV which was hit by Israel and those fajr-5 Iranian rockets which fired by Palestinian all were Photoshops. This bloody Iranian are damn good in Photoshopping I think .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like