back to article Don't worry, Apple: iPad still dominant in China

Apple may be struggling to maintain its huge market share in the tablet space globally, but it remains top dog by some margin in China, where the latest stats show it on 71.4 per cent. Beijing-based analyst house Analysys International’s figures reveal that the tablet market in the People’s Republic is booming, with 2.6 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Really??

I believe this as much as I believe the Unicorn story, I saw thousands of 7" and 10" tablets on sale in China's computer and electronics markets last year, but not one iPad outside of an "iStore".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really??

The Android tablets may have been ON SALE but no one was buying whereas the iPads were SOLD OUT so no one was able to buy. Serious if people have actually tried the two they would almost certainly pick the iPad - if you could run Android on iPad hardware they would but the iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"could run Android on iPad hardware they would but the iPad"

Who are this 'they' you speak of?

Are they the seemingly countless millions of individuals you have never met and no little or nothing about? Do you have facts and figures to define your proposition? If so present them, otherwise anyone with an IQ above zero will simply dismiss your comments as irrelevant bias and tripe.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The hardware on the iPad is just better made - it's the same with Macbooks - I know plenty of people who want a fantastic ultrabook or notebook so but a Macbook (Air or Pro) even if they end up in bootcamp for legacy apps.

2. ratfox
    WTF?

"pared-down, cheaper version of its iconic smartphone"

I fail to find words to describe the level of ignorance required to think that Apple would do that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Utter bullshit

Where was this survey taken? Outside a Apple store?

It's REALLY different to the story on the ground, which anyone that's been to China will know..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Utter bullshit

The majority of Chinese live out in the sticks where the term iPhone means 'I phone' and necessitates a trip to the phone box.

Maybe the survey was just lost in translation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except when you look at the usage data that clearly shows most people are using iOS devices (even though Android zealots try and claim it's because so many Android users change their user agent - as if).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Those usage stats are just as flawed as this nonsense.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung just behind on 3.53%

Samsung just behind on 3.53%

So funny thought I would say it twice.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What do you want 70% of the market and 90% of the profits Apple) or 30% of the market (everyone else combined) and 10% of the profits?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China has a huge population - the reality is most cannot probably afford either tablets or high end phone. Samsung phones and tablets are only slightly cheaper than equivalent Apple models anyway - certainly the difference is close enough that if you wanted an iPad you would save up a bit longer for one.

7. JDX Gold badge

Fell to 55% Globally

The fact one company has 55% of the global market is pretty amazing considering how many others are fighting hard for market share with cheaper alternatives. For a single company to have more than 20% of phones/tablets is a massive achievement, whoever they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fell to 55% Globally

"fighting hard for market share with cheaper alternatives" wtf?

The biggest problem the competitors have is that their alternatives do not represent a significantly cheaper value proposition, and in many cases do not even represent a cheaper ¤ price. The fact that it turns out that people rather like iOS on tablets and the application availability is good only makes it harder for Apple's competitors.

For those that haven't tried the iPad mini, I suggest you give it a test drive. Apple have clearly done their homework and it is an excellent, dare I say it ideal ca. 7" device. I myself was surprised how good it is for the form factor. (and no, I don't give a FF about hardware specs and neither do most users).

Dweeb

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please stop reporting these analyst numbers as if they were facts

Since no Android handset/tablet maker actually breaks its sales figures out to the level you need the analysts are mostly just making this stuff up.

IDC's figure have been shown to be off so often, by such huge margins, that they must surely be being paid by Samsung or Google or someone to put out misleading figures (or Samsung's trade loading is epic). For example an IDC report for the tablet market stated that Samsung sold 2,391,000 tablet computers worldwide in Q2 2012, up 117.6% from the same quarter last year. Yet according to Samsung’s court filing in the Samsung vs. Apple case for the same quarter, it sold a total of 37,000 infringing Android tablets in the U.S. last quarter, down 86% year over year. So if Samsung really sold 2.4 million tablets in the quarter, as IDC claims (http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23632512), 1.5% were sold in the U.S. with the other 98.5% made up of overseas sales, and/or non-infringing tablets such as the Windows-based Series 7 slate. Which is possible, but seems like a bit of a stretch.

1. NotTellinYou

Re: Please stop reporting these analyst numbers as if they were facts

Yet web traffic says something VERY different. If these pundits are right...what the heck to these people use their Android tablets for?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly - basic e-readers and simple media players and drawer liners.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

The usage stats are clearly wrong. The biggest flaw is they only look at the stock browser (which isn't mandatory on Android), so it fails to include Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin and Boat browsers..

I use my Android tablet for surfing every night, but I use Opera Mobile on Android, so i'm not included in their headline grabbing stats.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Please stop reporting figures that disagree with my argument - I want to believe Apple are doing crapple and Samsung will be embedding iHuman chips in our brains within 2-3 years.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chinese people must be...

..stupid.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like