back to article Ouya gaming project announces console giveaway

The makers of the hotly anticipated Ouya Android-based gaming console say they're on track to ship their first development consoles by the end of the year, and a few lucky developers will be able to get their hands on them for free. According to an update posted to the project's Kickstarter page on Friday, early versions of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2013 will be interesting

I'm expecting to see the new XBOX, Playstation and OUYA. What really excites me however is the faint hope that Valve will launch its own console bundled with Half Life 3.

That would be an instant buy.

1. Gabor Laszlo

Re: 2013 will be interesting

Ouya + Oculus Rift + Half Life 3 = me turning into a hikikomori

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Oh Yes! != Oh No!

Looks like some people are going to be downloading games from Google's app store.

Looks like some people are going to be downloading games from GOOGLE'S app store.

So Google wants in? Fine, but who's the target? Friendly gamers, or console competitors?

Assuming right now that Ouya is not currently being funded by Google, nor will they be in the future, this is great news. I'm sticking with the positive side as long as a day never comes where Google wants to use this console to collect data on children/minors specifically. If this console takes off, children/minors would wind up being the largest user base. Maybe Google now wants the data of children/minors that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have had for years now.

1. Stephen 2

Re: Oh Yes! != Oh No!

Isn't the Ouya just an android box? As far as I can tell it's nearly identical to the one I already have and use as a media centre. The difference is that mine has an air mouse and the Ouya has a gamepad.

Add their fancy frontend to my box and give me the controller and I wont need to buy the Ouya.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Straight up on ebay in minutes? or will the people who get these consoles actually use them?

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Ouya?

Isn't that the sound that Billy Bunter made when he was caned...?

5. The_Regulator

Ouya vs PS3 or Xbox xxx

Hmmm yeah ouya gonna call....not android k thx will stick with a real games console instead of having google sending me crappy adverts non stop when I'm trying to murk some dudes online.

6. toadwarrior

You can tell if someone is PC gamer who doesn't have a clue what console gamers want because they think Ouya can succeed. It's not a question of if it will fail but how badly it'll fail.

1. silent_count

Dunno mate. It won't out-polygon the latest Playstation or XBox but I could see it gaining some popularity as a cheap media box... which happens to play a few games.

1. auburnman
        Happy

There's been a noticeable upwards trend in the visibility and popularity of smaller cheaper 'Indie' titles in recent years too... and with Kickstarter taking off I wouldn't be surprised if smaller cheaper downloadable games are a big part of the future. The only thing that worries me about the Ouya is the limited specs (8GB Internal flash memory and only 1 USB port specifically.) I'm having one just so I can experience the joy of having a Megadrive (emulator) in the living room again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well clearly since every console has actually become a PC, clearly console gamers want PCs with game pads. Ignoring the fact your link back to PC gaming here is tenuous at best. It's a link to mobile gaming if anything.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like