back to article Microsoft cues next-gen Xbox for Crimbo 2013

Microsoft will release the next-generation Xbox console in time for Christmas next year, sources claim. While World+Dog could come up with a 2013 'Xbox 720' prediction, this latest claim comes by way of "people familiar with the company's plans", according to Bloomberg at least. The firm has apparently yet to decide whether …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 404
    Childcatcher

Hmmm Good Info

Have to start planning that now - ran through two 360's already - wear out the drives for some reason.

Hopefully the current 360 will hold out till then

;)

2. Atonnis
    FAIL

Sigh...

...I'm sorry, but 'people familiar with the company's plans' is just as reliable as everyone else's claims to the next XBox.

We're all already pretty much assuming that there'll be a reveal during next year. This has to be amongst the most non-story articles I've ever read on this site.

3. Senior Ugli

xbox 720? come on.. why are companies so repetitive with names Playstation 1 - 3, Iphone 3 - 5

come up with some new and fresh names.

Why do they call it xbox 720? cos you turn 720 and walk away

1. AF
      Stop

Not called the 720

It won't be the Xbox 720 - that's just a name lazy journos came up with for no apparent reason. I can't think of the last time a device number doubled rather than incrementing by one, but there we go. It also completely misses the point of why the current Xbox was called "360" in the first place.

Anyway - fear not, there will not be an Xbox 720 this time next year. Or the year after.

1. James Cook
        WTF?

Re: Not called the 720

Wasn't the reason it was called the 360, because marketing bod's were worried people would compare "Playstation 3" and "Xbox 2" and automagically assume the PS3 is better?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Wheeeeeee

"cos you turn 720 and walk away"

The title is the sound Senior Ugli makes while he's doing his two-circle pirouette in midair.

3. Chris Watson 2

Surely if you turn 720, you end up facing the same way as you start and thus walk towards it?

1. Rampant Spaniel

Chris, thats totally uncalled for! Stop using year 3 maths against him. He was all proud he thought of that without any help or anything!

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@Chris

Yes. And then you stamp on it a few times and keep going.

(disclaimer: I own an xbox. I play two games on it. This proves nothing.)

4. Wokstation

and it's clear that there'll be a whole bunch of kids - appreciative, we hope - glued to a new games box on Crimbo morning.

Or more likely, frustrated kids waiting for an inevitable system update to download!

5. 1Rafayal

Interesting

Sony thinks that the total lifespan of the PS3 will be 10 years.

I find this quite interesting, the PS2 hung on for quite some time after the release of the PS3. Maybe this will herald a new way forward for Sony - I wonder if they will consider marketing the successor to the PS3 along side the previous iteration. Kind of the same thing Nintendo and Sega did between the 8bit and 16bit era. This would be especially good if Sony continues down the route of "no backwards compatibility" (I could be wrong about that...).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

If Sony (and most likely Microsoft) think they can stand still for 10 years while technology races forward at an ever increasing pace, then they are choosing voluntary obsolescence. And irrelevance. Fresh competition is coming to the console arena, and it doesn't pay to stand still.

1. wowfood

Re: Interesting

That's what I don't get about his whole "10 year lifecycle" thing. People hear that and then go . "Well it was released in 2006, so the next one won't be until 2016"

But sony also say the 10 year lifecycle is the same as the PS1 and PS2. Which is is. They launched the ps2 while the ps1 was still selling, and they'll do the same with the PS3 / PS4. If we actually go by what they stated the PS4 should be released next year. Based on the fact that the PS1 came out in 94, ps2 2000, ps3 2006. Well, techincally PS4 should've been out this year but sony have had troubles what with hacking and earthquakes etc.

6. Sooty

I'm at the stage now, where it's about the games. I don't really care about the hardware, that's what my pc is for.

If the next generation of consoles are not backwards compatible with my xbox/360/psone/ps2/ps3 games, I'm not chucking them all, and I've run out of hdmi connections on my tv, so i'll probably not bother.

There'd have to be some spectacular game to encourage me to upgrade

7. eJ2095

RROD

So wonder if this one will also RROD on there first gen of this....

1. OrsonX
      Megaphone

Re: RROD

I hope not, mine RROD'd, MS fixed it quickly, but still....

What I really hope is that the next one doesn't sound like a jet engine stuck under me telly.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I fixed my own. Hasn't missed a beat since, and it's one of the originals (bought at launch). The problem wasn't insurmountable (that's a jokey reference by the way)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I thought I was supposed to be able to edit my posts? Anyway, forgot to agree with you about the jetfan - I've taken to using it with 5.1 headphones

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like there was supposed to be one this Xmas?

I wonder if this one will take 4 years to iron out the hardware problems? Given Microsoft, I suspect so....

9. Esskay
    Joke

In other news

Analysts are predicting that it is extremely likely that the sun will rise again tomorrow. Citing "people familiar with the matter", Bloomberg analysts have said that "looking at historical trends, and the waning interest the world currently has in being nighttime, we're predicting that very soon the sun will indeed rise again."

While World+Dog could come up with a "what will the sun do tomorrow" prediction, Bloomberg goes so far as to predict the direction in which it will rise. "In the East. Probably. However we can't rule out the possibility that the reveal will happen in the West." There was also some rather far-fetched speculation that the reveal would be a joint evet in conjunction with the moon, but that has been dismissed."It'll definately be a standalone event".

The sunrise hasn't been without some drama however, with early reports of low yields threatening to delay the rise.

"Our sources say that although there were rumours of some early production problems with sunlight, these will almost certainly be ironed out by around 7am, and things will get very bright very quickly from that point on."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nah

It'll be called the Xbox NT, since Dave "drill sergeant" Cutler is now running the show over there. And the crowning achievement will be that it will run Office and have the same AWFUL interface as Windows 8. And other wonderful added features like "can't run second hand games" and "still won't have Blu-Ray."

But the American suckers will continue to line up and fork over their cash monthly to pay for crap like Xbox Live. But hey, you can dance like Han Solo and Princess Leia to Kinect, right? That's what gaming is all about!

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: Nah

Xbox already has the Windows 8 interface, and it's great to use....

Blu Ray is dying already. Downloads and streaming are the future.....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I guarantee one thing, it will have the METRO interface in order to get kids using it in hopes to sell Windows 8 and Windows phones. Think about it.....

And I'm only mildly drunk right now!

1. P. Lee

> it will have the METRO interface in order to get kids using it

Which is why tifkam appears in W8 rather than staying on portable devices where it belongs.

Which is one of the worst marketing-strategy ideas of all time.

2. David Neil

Xbox dashboard already has the "metro-like" interface.

This topic is closed for new posts.