back to article Titsup Windows 8 PayPal payments snare upgraders

Have you upgraded to Windows 8, paid via PayPal and not received your code download? Worse, has PayPal taken the money from your account? You’re not alone. Frustration is spreading among Windows users trying to download the Windows 8 upgrade and paying through PayPal only to find the process is broken. Microsoft and PayPal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

The accompanying video for all this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The accompanying video for all this

Or how about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxroxDO8g8

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

This is the problem with doing things on the internet, no counter to bang on, just a robot's email address. Perhaps a trip to the small claims court if you get get something that passes muster as documentation?

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

Seems there was a boo-boo. I just got a deposit on my Paypal account saying it was for Total Microsoft Windows 8 sales for month of November.

Grand total of 67 pounds and threepence.

4. James Boag
    WTF?

Handy Tip

Don't try to upgrade on a dual boot system, all goes well till you are about to log in and then it rewinds to XP and takes out the xp (hal.dll missing) and the Linux too, funny that, clean install of xp on the same hardware no issues at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Handy Tip

Don't try installing Windows period if you already have a dual boot system.

It has been standard practice for Windows to blow away the bootloader and re-partition the entire drive for as long as there have been Windows installs.

If you have dual boot and need to install Windows you need to install to a separate drive which is not your normal boot drive (unless you don't mind re-installing your bootloader)

1. WonkoTheSane
        Thumb Up

Re: Handy Tip

If you have dual boot and need to install Windows you need to install to a separate drive which is not your normal boot drive (unless you don't mind re-installing your bootloader)

Not necessary. Just install Windows _first_, then use your Linux LiveCD to resize/repartition the drive & then install.

5. David Webb

It's Paypal, they won't refund it as it's a virtual transaction, you're buying a CD Key and not a real, physical product (unless you opt for the DVD to be delivered) so the only real recourse is through MS.

6. Bumpy Cat
    Joke

Buying Microsoft with Paypal?

There's masochism for you!

7. yossarianuk

No sympathy

By funding a patent troll you have already lost all sense of self respect...

8. Ross K Silver badge
    Mushroom

PayPal Issues?

the company had stopped accepting PayPal payments "a couple of weeks back due to all the issues they had with it".

Yeah, they probably got screwed on the PayPal fees. Or PayPal put a freeze on their account for no reason...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PayPal Issues?

For no reason? How about a shoddy product?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft and Paypal

A marriage made in hell (for the users that is).

It is not only Windows 8 upgrades that are being snfau'd. My technet subsctiption (not via Payal but by CreditCard) has 'been lost' somewhere inside MS despite me sending them evidence from the CC company that they have take my money.

10. N2
    Trollface

Microsoft & Paypal

Two companies that send a shudder down my spine.

11. This Side Up
    Meh

Very limited number?

"PayPal and Microsoft were made aware of an issue impacting a very limited number of users who ...."

So all of them then?

12. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

When Satan heard that Microsoft and Paypal were working together he packed his bags and left Hades. He was heard muttering that his work here was done.

13. Magani
    Big Brother

When will people learn?

PayPal is NOT a bank!

Despite the duck analogy (walks like, quacks like, etc) , PP will do what it bloody well likes with your €£$¥.

14. Guy Incognito
    FAIL

I had the same issue

But only it was with a technet subscription. Nothing like having that kind of scratch come out of your account with nothing to show for it. When I called the store they were less than helpful telling me only that they saw my order, but that it actually didn't go through. I was able to get my money back by opening a Paypal dispute claiming non receipt of goods.

15. Fatman
    FAIL

RE: MS UK had to wait for Microsoft in the US to get an answer.

Which means simply they had to wait for Ballmer to come back from the golf course, and then wait until the chairs stop flying!

</sarcasm>

16. Nolveys
    Windows

Poor bastards,

I think that Steve Buscemi should play them some violin music.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PayPal and eBay Systems Being Crazy for a Month or So

Nothing with PayPal would surprise me given how their systems have been acting for the past month.

To view my payment history I have to view it daily because if I give it a date range it misses multiple payments for some days. For example, viewing payment for the month of November will not show payments on Nov 12, 18 or 22. The only way to see payments for these days is to specify a date range with the specific day as the start and end date.

May seem simple but when you are doing hundreds of transactions for tens of thousand of dollars from your paypal balance and the transactions are missing from your history then you have problems tracking receipt of items you purchase.

18. Dan 55 Silver badge

Despute it

PayPal will happily take your money even if the company's gone bust, that's how much they care.

If you've got a PP account then open a dispute and escalate it up to PP as soon as they let you. Put a link to a story such as this in the dispute showing it's a balls up. Then they'll give you your money back.

If you've not got a PP account then you'll probably have to open one to raise a dispute.

19. The Alpha Klutz

when i want to upgrade

just press the button in the package manager and it does it all for the free price of £0.00

20. MacGyver
    IT Angle

Why would anyone "upgrade" their OS to a different version without having the physical media. Don't they realize that their Windows OS is going to go tits-up at some point? Then what, reload XP, then d/l a 2 gig upgrade again? Tell me how well you think your newly installed 15 year old firewall and antivirus are going to work while you're downloading your upgrade again? Put a fresh XP (no SPx anything) box on today's internet, and see how long it takes to be scanned and owned by a botnet. I'm guessing about 3 minutes, so good luck with that.

I may be a tech dinosaur, but the truth will always be, if you can't hold it, you don't own it.

21. Dan McIntyre

Microsoft is still offering Paypal as a payment option for apps and subscriptions via the Windows 8 Store - I bought a 6 month sub to Win 8 magazine yesterday and one of the options was Paypal. I do have a Paypal account but having read this now I am glad I chose the credit card option.

1. druck Silver badge
      Coat

Win 8 magazine?

Maybe now it has a reader, it will appear on the HIGNFY guest publications slot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like