back to article Twitter forced to cough raw feed after PeopleBrowsr wins temporary order

Twitter was slapped with a temporary restraining order yesterday, preventing it from terminating a tweets-for-cash contract it has with the data analysis company PeopleBrowsr. Twitter wanted to end the million-dollar-a-year contract tomorrow, 30 November, but a judge in the Superior Court of the State of California court has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox
    WTF?

Why?

Why would twitter limit its data to a handful of resellers? Do they get more for exclusivity? Surely it is their own interest that the market for their own data be as transparent as possible…?

2. Benny
    WTF?

So the lesson here would be not to base your entire business upon someone elses data.

At the end of the day, it's Twitter data, that is generated by Twitters users, you can't really complain if they then decide to change THEIR business model, and you are stuck because you didn't think that those nice people at Twitter would ever end your cosy agreement.

Saying "But I was here first!" doesn't really mean a great deal TBH

1. Callam McMillan

Contract

Based on the article it looks like there is a contract between PeopleBrowser and Twitter, and it looks like Twitter wants to unilaterally change the contract. If that's the case then I can see how PeopleBrowser would be a bit miffed. If however the contract is coming to the end of its term, then it sounds awfully like sour grapes.

2. Eugene Goodrich

Guarantees and contracts

[[ At the end of the day, it's Twitter data, that is generated by Twitters users, you can't really complain if they then decide to change THEIR business model, and you are stuck because you didn't think that those nice people at Twitter would ever end your cosy agreement. ]]

Sure, unless Twitter made some guarantees at some point. Like, maybe, if they said "our data will always be free and open. Always." Or somesuch.

3. frank ly

Corrections/Improvements

"A little bird has ejected us from its 'warm spot', ..."; "..the raw twitter feed of more than 400 million tweets a day"

The words 'cloaca' and 'guano' would be useful here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Corrections/Improvements

If only I could upvote this again!

4. JDX Gold badge

Firehose?

Goldenshower more like.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Firehose?

Last time this one came up, I suggested "sewer".

I believe that is the correct term for a big pipe full of crap.

5. John Tserkezis

Everyone hail Jodee Rich.

For he's moved on from illegally ripping off money, to *legally* ripping off money.

6. MachDiamond Silver badge

Contract? Big deal.

Yes, if Twitter has a contract with peoplebrowser, they should have to keep up their end until the contract expires. The courts should not be able to "Order" a company to do business with some entity if there isn't a contract in place.

I find the -Those contracting partners include the US Department of Defense who has a $3m three-year deal with PeopleBrowsr to provide analytics and information on Twitter users.- to be much more ominous.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Contract? Big deal.

Bet they expect twitter to carry on supporting Itanium chips too....no wait.....

7. Chad H.

CEO Jodee Rich???

Well at least they have the right CEO is the company goes bust... See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One.Tel

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like