back to article The Terminator, coming to a reality near you

Researchers at the University of Newcastle in the UK have demonstrated a communication pathway between living cells and electronics. The recipe is based on genetically-engineered protein cells from the ovaries of a Chinese hamster, which produce nitric oxide (NO) when exposed to light. The mutant cells where then coupled to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne
    Thumb Up

I for one

Welcome our new Chinese genetically enhanced cyber hamster overlords

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Terminator

Re: I for one

Shouldn't that be our new Geordie genetically enhanced cyber Chinese hamster overlords?

Have an upvote anyway... I fear resistance may be futile

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. simbr

So.. what I got from this is that you can genetic engineer a hamster to get an erection when you shine a light on it.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Childcatcher

Should come in handy in certain rock 'n' roll circles.

2. Robert Grant
      Happy

Re; simbr

So.. what I got from this is that you can genetic engineer a hamster to get an erection when you shine a light on it.

That's one Top Gear episode to miss.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

I have already invented a way to interface hamsters and electronics - stick a small dynamo on its wheel and use it to charge up my phone! I got a grant from David Cameron to do this as part of the government's energy strategy!

4. badger31
    WTF?

overcome a fundamental problem in the creation of “bio-hybrid” robot

Phew! For a while there I thought we'd never have bio-hybrid robots. I'll sleep better tonight.

5. Arachnoid

Hamsters bah.......its Elephant DNA ya need, its so clever it never forgets anything and you can fit four in a mini.

6. frank ly

Oh Dear

"... Oh, and the cells are able to reproduce themselves, ..."

Can anybody guess the consequences?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mashup

....."your mother was a (Chinese) Hamster (Terminator) and your father smelt of elderberries (and had to regularly be exposed to light to get the NOx flowing for his penile recetion deficiency) ..."

oh dear.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh boy...

Sounds more like Ziggy from Quantum Leap than a Terminator.

10. annodomini2

Chemical response

Probably bit slow for brain to computer interface then.

1. Longrod_von_Hugendong
      Boffin

Re: Chemical response

Given our customers - no, not all.

11. Mike Moyle

Prosthetic limbs?

If this can be engineered so that the existing motor nerves that used to be used to, say, move the fingers in a now-missing hand can operate robotic ones, this could do wonders for prosthetics.I wonder if it can be made to operate in reverse -- making resistance to movement in a prosthetic limb flash a signal to the appropriate sensory nerve for full feedback-controlled prosthetics...

This will be an interesting technology to follow in the next few years.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not necessary for a terminator

The terminator is a robot covered with skin, no interface between the skin and terminator's circuits required. That's actually a much easier problem (for man/machine interface, at least) than making an artificial hand that can be controlled by existing nerves, which this is a step towards.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. boothamshaw

budget over-run on bionic man project imminent

Initial estimates of $6 000 000 may fall somewhat short of final total, NASA reports today...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like