back to article Hurricane Sandy blows US pirate-pestering plan into 2013

The voluntary US copyright scheme designed to head off anti-piracy legislation has been delayed again - this time, because of Hurricane Sandy. The Center for Copyright Information (CCI) says alerts won't now be sent out to serial infringers until early 2013. "Due to unexpected factors largely stemming from Hurricane Sandy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Services like Netflix and the rest fill the gap nicely, but their selection is still woefully lagging behind. You can watch Iron Man 2 but not Iron Man, for example. Movie corporations want people to license directly from them and that just is not going to happen due to the high costs.

Most piracy is a result of people not being able to find what they want through accepted outlets. I am forced to use a VPN to the states to see the shows that are geo-blocked in the UK. License those TV shows, doco's and movies to established outlets globally and 90% of the pirates will disappear overnight.

2. Code Monkey
    Pirate

Yarr!

Who else thought it was a different sort of anti-piracy that Hurricane Sandy had wrecked?

1. Tom 35

Re: Yarr!

Right up until I saw who's name was on it.

Download some Hollywood film. Kill, kidnap, and rob people. Yep same thing, right.

1. Chris Rowland

Re: Yarr!

Not kill, not kidnap.

Rob yes. Like shoplifting.

3. Andrew Norton
    Pirate

I noticed you forgot to mention the UK legislation only passed because a backroom meeting between Mandy and UMG got Mandy to support things by lying to him, which led to it being a 3-line whip item during washup and still barely passed. And there's still lots of problems.

Or that this CCI system has other problems, like the 'independent review' not actually being all that independent; or the underlying assumptions the system uses have started to be destroyed when actually tried in court.

Why not?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's riduculous - you buy a political party with your hard earned money and yet you have to go through all this to get them to do what you want.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The clueless just keep hating

The more pirates they prosecute the better. These scumbags ain't above the law. I welcome a uniform punishment such as Japan has legislated with a minimum 2 years in jail and a hefty fine for piracy. That sends a very clear message that society is not going to tolerate piracy. If you're dumb enough to pirate you're dumb enough to rot in jail.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

So when is the RIAA going to sue Mother Nature for abetting piracy?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

6. Anakin
    Go

Moses. The first pirate

He went up to the mountin and copy the comandments.

In the early days you would be killed for stealing a bible.

But if you copied bibles an give them away for free you was divine

Lets keep on copying and follow the christian tradition.

Sharing is caring

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Canada

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

Case marks beginning of crackdown on Internet piracy in Canada

news story link:

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Company+collects+data+millions+illegal+downloaders+first+step+crack+down/7613175/story.html

8. djnapkin
    Holmes

I'm amazed that youngsters find all these new movies actually worth pirating. Still, until there is a reasonable alternative, and outside Netflix in the US, there doesn't seem to be one - not in Aus, not in the UK far as I can tell - the movie industry shouldn't be surprised if people continue to download movies.

Where I live, the local DVD rental store has closed. How on earth people are supposed to watch movies, I'm not sure.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See? Even God is on our side. Hang 'em by the yard arms, feed 'em to the sharks. Drowning's too good for those mafIAA scumbags.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Headmaster

Point of order m'lud

Is it, as per the article, "an" EFF AY QUEUW or, as I normally read/speak it, "a" FACK?

Upvotes for FACK

Downvotes for EFF AY QUEUE

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like