back to article Peter Moore: IT consultant, Iraq hostage - Part Two

When we last left IT consultant point Peter Moore, he had spent over a year in the hands of an Iraqi Shi'ite militia, being shuffled around from building to building as his captors sought to evade coalition forces. Moore spent much of his time chained, handcuffed, blindfolded, and separated from the four British guards with whom …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"They were certainly serious about their religion, prayed three times a day, but they were not extremists."

Before someone says Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day - two of the prayers are at odd hours, one late in the evening and another early at dawn so he most probably didn't see them pray those two.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. unclesmurf

Actually the reason why he saw three is because shi'ites will pray 3 (combine some together and pray 2 in one go)

2. Magister

Wow!

What a great article; what an amazing story (the best stories are always true).

Many years ago, I had an opportunity to work overseas. I didn't pursure it, so don't know if I would actually have got the job, but I've often wondered how different my life would have been had I gone ahead with the application. I still feel a little regret even after having read other accounts of people that had bad experiences.

Best of luck to him for his future.

3. Wild Bill

Amazing article. The time sheet audit bit made me chuckle.

4. Bumpy Cat
    Thumb Up

Awesomely British

Make up a bit about having a wife, and then carry on with the pretence for two and a half years to avoid embarrassment to either side. Peter, you're great.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

"In 2009 this guard actually brought in an Xbox. I'm not a fan of the Xbox and I didn't want to give Microsoft the publicity, so when I was released I only told the press about the PlayStation. I was hoping Sony might get me a free PlayStation, but maybe it's not the kind of publicity they are after."

So how much of the rest of what he says can we believe?

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Really?

@AC 11:16 GMT

The man had guns to his head and still denied liking an XBox. My kinda guy.

6. Tim Greenwood

What an apparently great guy. I know you shouldn't judge from just a short written article but Mr Moore comes across a genuinely nice person who had to cope in a very difficult situation.

I think many people, myself included, would be interested in reading a more in depth account of his life including both before and after the hostage situation. I don't really know if writing a book would help in any way with psychological issues, but I suspect it would be a good read.

It would be nice to think you could pass on my best wishes to him for a more peaceful and happy future.

7. jason 7
    Facepalm

Sensitive employers.

We'd like you to work in Afghanistan......

8. Dabooka
    Pint

Excellent article

Really enjoyed reading that. The elements involving the removal of various guards whom he never saw again must have been really tough to deal with, especially with the mock executions he must have been o the edge for ages. His mind must have been battered to bits.

Best of luck, and the after dinner speaker market might be worth looking into after the book!

9. Quatroux
    Megaphone

Dear Sony, just give the man a PS3!!!

There are some problems with your post.

10. Booty003
    Thumb Up

Very good and interesting article,

But I can't help but spare a thought for the four guys who never made it home from this incident.

Jason Swindlehurst, Jason Creswell, Alec Maclachlan, Alan McMenemy.

Rest In Peace guys.

11. John 62
    Thumb Up

As a seeming fan of MS SQL Server, what was it about the MS Xbox he so disliked?

Thanks for publishing this genuinely fascinating interview. Mr Moore deserves a medal/?BE/Legion d'Honeur/etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like