back to article 'Boson' Higgs: Yes, CERN has seen the coming of the God particle

Boffin Peter Higgs said yesterday that he's confident the particle discovered by the Large Hadron Collider last July was the Higgs boson he first predicted in 1964. "I think it will turn out to be [the Higgs boson], but it's just a question of getting out the additional information," he told reporters ahead of a speech to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Hardly catastrophic

Just very disappointing.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Hardly catastrophic

Ah, that's what the gold commentard button looks like.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Gold, bronze, silver? What's this?

1. Chuunen Baka
          Stop

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/27/el_reg_commentard_badges/print.html

A new mechanism so you can see that a stupid post is not from some drive-by idiot but from an idiot with an el reg comment addiction.

1. JDX Gold badge
            Happy

You're just jealous :)

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

There aren't many people who can say "I was right all along", referring to 40+ years ago, and sound both despondent and humble about it.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox

Despondent?

I really didn't get that at all.

2. Fungi Legume
      Thumb Up

RIP Hugh Everett III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Everett_III

3. Mark Jan

Lee Dowling

There aren't many people who can say "I was right all along", referring to 40+ years ago, and sound both despondent and humble about it.

What about just about everyone's parents?

3. Spoonsinger
    Coat

"Boson' Higgs: Yes, CERN has seen the coming of the God particle"!!!!

Not going to believe it till I see a beardy old man pointing at something.

1. ArmyCrow
      Facepalm

Re: "Boson' Higgs: Yes, CERN has seen the coming of the God particle"!!!!

Here you go - http://cutcaster.com/photo/100344763-Professor-pointing/

1. Spoonsinger
        Meh

The up should have been a .5, but I did the full one for effort. Beardy bloke should of been pointing down, (It's the law according to physics 101).

2. xyz Silver badge
      Devil

As far as I remember it was called the "God Dammit" particle, but no one (in science) would print that, so it got shortened to the God particle (which sound a lot more scienty). Apart from that...this is just the usual scientist "we dun good, geius more cash" story whose probability (no pun) could have been equally "we dun bad, geius more cash." The certainty from a scientific view point is the "geius more cash" bit. Idle money-suckers.

1. DavCrav

"The certainty from a scientific view point is the "geius more cash" bit. Idle money-suckers."

Yes, they're awful, dedicating their lives to furthering the knowledge of the human race, while other people do terribly important things like shuffle pieces of paper with faces on them from one place to another, etc.

3. Androgynous Crackwhore
      FAIL

I think we should all reserve judgement ('scuse pun) until they've detected plagues of tiny frogs, burned pigeons and assorted pestilence raining forth from it.

1. Gerhard den Hollander
        Joke

I could care less for the tiny frogs, but if the Higgs boson leads to a loot of burned pigeons, it will certainly make some big cities a lot more pleasurable to visit.

4. ukgnome
    Joke

This would be good except : -

Such a shame that the Mayans were right and we are all about to die in some some of galactic cataclysm.

5. Katie Saucey
    Alien

Oh, well.

"What has been found at CERN looks like so much a good fit to the simplest version of the theory of the standard model that it isn't providing any hints of what might come next," I like surprises, I guess I'll just have keep filling my sci-fi shelf in the mean time.

6. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Boffin

Higgs anecdote

My lecturer in particle physics at uni was one of Higgs' Ph.D. students at the time he came up with it. Apparently Higgs left a note on his desk on a Friday afternoon to say that a) he'd thought of something interesting and he'd tell them all about it on Monday, and b) he was off mountain climbing for the weekend. Luckily he didn't have an accident, or there'd be no theory or particle found...

1. bitten

Re: Higgs anecdote

Did he left his note on the back of the article of Englert and Brout?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Higgs anecdote

No, no, no. I think that's the anecdote about Bjoerken who was out mountaineering while Feynman was in town and thus missed the opportunity to look at a plot and deduce that quarks are for real.

Actually, I hear the Higgs Boson is not such a big deal as it's an immediate consequence of weak symmetry breaking. It's just that its presence indicates that the math looks good.

7. Pete the not so great
    Unhappy

Dam 'tootin

We'll never get our dark energy powered worm hole generators now.

8. philbo
    Happy

I guess the Battle Hymn needs rewriting, then...

CERN eyes have seen the coming of the "God particle" Higgs

In the Large Hadron Collider, the world's biggest physics gig

But still I'm not convinced why the fuck I should give a fig

If they've found one more boson

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I guess the Battle Hymn needs rewriting, then...

Well you are posting this on WWW.thereg.....

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: I guess the Battle Hymn needs rewriting, then...

Oi! I resemble that song!

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

The standard model?

Nah, I think I'll wait until the deluxe model comes out.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: The standard model?

Yeah you get all the fermionic goodness of the Standard Model but with the special WIMP expansion set for free.

10. ottokrog

I don't think the qualities required for The Higgs particle to explain the standard model is there, and I don't think they will be found.

Neither do I think, that supersymmetry will be recognized in futuristic science.

I know I am a pain in the butt, but I believe in a complete different approach to high energy physics in the future. My vision is that future science will engulf consciousness. The mind and the spirit will be explainable through physics.

I have been a fan of Sir Roger Penrose for many years. He was the first scientist to say that consciousness should be found in the quantum field rather than in the brain. I am so much a fan, that I made my own theory out of the idea that consciousness might be explained through a better understanding of antimatter and multiverse dimensions.

My idea is that antimatter is the mirror of this universe, and that antimatter might be where memory is located.

I think that the subconscious mind and consciousness are located in multiverse dimensions in the form of antimatter.

The original standard model predicted no mass at all. That made no sence to scientists, so Peter Higgs predicted The Higgs Boson, purely from mathematics. I think the original standard model was right, particles does not exist. The physical universe is a flow of energy from minus infinite energy to plus infinite energy.

If you would like to know more, then you can watch a full videopresentation of my theory on my blog:

www.crestroy.com

1. John 62
      Boffin

hmmm

hmm... not sure whether to upvote for entertainment value or downvote for crank level over 9000.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Boson' Higgs: Yes, CERN has seen the coming of the God particle"!!!!

The Purusha in Sanskrit is the fundamental particle in space and is already defined, described mathematically and axiomatically. It is in perpetual harmonic oscillation and has a specific mass.

This topic is closed for new posts.