back to article Nokia RIM shot: Seeks royalties after winning wireless patent spat

RIM's decision to take its Nokia patent licensing troubles to an arbitration tribunal has backfired somewhat, as the adjudicator found the Canadian firm wasn't sticking to its side of the cross-licensing bargain the two firms struck nearly 10 years ago. The tribunal said that Research in Motion is "not entitled to manufacture …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged
    WTF?

So, to recap -

Nokia and RIM agree cross-licensing.

RIM get unhappy about the cost (and given their market performance, we can all see why) and take the matter to arbitration.

Arbitrator decides that RIM aren't actually paying enough.

El Reg accuses Nokia of (basically) patent-trolling.

Something's not right here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Increasingly disappointing performance in the smartphone sector has left Nokia clinging to the life-raft of its sizeable patent portfolio as it tries to reignite interest in its mobes,"

Oh come on, that may have been true earlier in the year but please do keep up to date and stop posting biased crap:

Reports Signal High Demand for Nokia's Lumia 920 Flagship Smartphone

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20121119-705404.html

Nokia Lumia 920 demand in Australia “beyond amazing,” globally “higher than expected”

http://www.intomobile.com/2012/11/15/nokia-lumia-920-demand-australia-beyond-amazing-globally-higher-than-expected/

Swedish online retailer says demand for Nokia Lumia 920 twice that seen for the Samsung Galaxy S III

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Swedish-online-retailer-says-demand-for-Nokia-Lumia-920-twice-that-seen-for-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III_id37071

Finnish Carrier DNA: “Demand for Lumia 920 Highest For Any Nokia in 10 Years”

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/11/26/finnish-carrier-dna-demand-for-lumia-920-highest-for-any-nokia-in-10-years/

1. dogged
      Trollface

In before you get modded down to oblivion for daring to suggest that Nokia (and thus Windows Phone) may not be doomed.

3. tmTM

People In Glass Houses

Something about stones.......................

1. PaulR79

Re: People In Glass Houses

People in glass houses should throw stones if they can't get out any other way?

I understand that patents are important blah blah blah but I've lost track of when I last got through a week without hearing about patents in mobile disputes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple should probably just buy Nokia for the patents and access to lower cost phones perhaps then give Samsung a kicking - game over man. RIM are pretty much finished anyway - everyone other mobile OS seems to offer good email on their phones so not sure what USP they have left?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You obviously missed it but

Apple could very well go in low cost phones market and kick Samsung and others out of there without the need to buy anything. Problem is Apple wants to kill low cost phones so that everybody buys expensive high margin Apple phones.

2. PaulR79

BB10 looking quite nice

I've never liked BlackBerry mainly for their huge and fugly phones but after seeing demos of their BB10 OS I quite like it. I can easily see it competing with WIndows Phone 8 and if priced right killing off WIndows Phone 7.x sales. As an Android fan from the beginning I don't say this often but I'm almost curious to the point of wanting one.

Apple are more or less stuck rehashing their OS with new hardware whereas Android is polishing up things quite nicely and Windows Phone appeals to a specific type of user. What does BB have to offer? Something new mixed with what they're known for in a new package. I don't think they have the money to last like Nokia can with Microsoft's backing so the most important things are first impressions, price and getting key apps there early even if that means using the Android emulation.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patented Standard?

Wait, ... WHAT???

<coffee-keyboard>

Nokia have a patent on a /standard/ ??

Surely I'm misunderstanding this. It is very very wrong for that to even be possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Patented Standard?

Unfortunately this idiocy is very real and widespread.

6. Alan Denman

Apple are already a non entity in Spain.

With Android at 90% there, do you think anyone gives a stuff about Apple beyond the US heartland?

But for the English common language, IOS on smartphones would already be a dead duck here too.

7. Phil Koenig

No one probably would have cared if it weren't for the fact that analysts have been upgrading their outlook on RIM lately, and WP8 hasn't exactly been taking off like wildfire.

RIM these days is the primary competitor of Nokia and WP8, they are going to fight for the #3 smartphone spot, so it's no big surprise Nokia is eager to shoot them down any way they can.

What I'm curious about is what they are asking for these ancient patents, and whether they're going to claim RIM has to pay them for every device they've shipped since 2003 or not. Because if it's only for currently-shipping devices, considering RIM's current marketshare, I'd imagine that paying a royalty on a few thousand devices wouldn't be so bad. ;-)

8. Shonko Kid
    WTF?

"mobile device market, which is now dominated by Apple and Samsung"

Mobile device market, dominated by Samsung and Nokia you mean.

The smartphone subsector of that is dominated by Apple and Samsung, but Nokia still ship crap loads of S40 devices, some of which would give a low end Android device a run for it's money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "mobile device market, which is now dominated by Apple and Samsung"

" ...but Nokia still ship crap loads of S40 devices, some of which would give a low end Android device a run for it's money."

Which should have been replaced with PROPER smartphones with Symbian S^3/Belle/whatever. As per the ORIGINAL plan. But due to bad deals with MSFT Nokia may not proceed with that plan (as they may not develop, sell and develop competing smartphone OS's). Since S40 is not seen by MSFT as a smartphone OS that's their only 'backup' plan. It SUCKS!

At least RIM comes around with a REAL innovative smartphone OS unlike MSFT's bling-laden crippled closed down pile of... If it can do full 2-way call recording (preferably automatic) THEN I might be tempted. If not then need not to apply.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia revert to paten troll tactics

" ...as it tries to reignite interest in its mobes..."

Well if they didn't FUCK Symbain users the why they did. With fragile shitphones running a completely fucked-up crippled incompetent and closed POS of an OS that has allmost NONE of the featureset that Symbian users take FOR GRANTED, then they would have left some credibility.

As it is now, they can ROT in HELL!

I've got more respect for RIM whom try with TRUE innovation and product design to capture consumers interest!

10. James 100
    Mushroom

Karma?

So ... RIM try to screw extra money out of Nokia through patents ... only to have the case reveal that actually, it's RIM who owe Nokia money? I like that.

Like the nuclear hand grenade: might or might not damage the target, but at least it gets rid of whoever was dumb enough to try throwing it in the first place.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like