back to article Bradley Manning to speak in public for first time in two years

US Army private Bradley Manning will speak publicly for the first time in two years, when he's called as a witness in a pre-trial hearing later today. Manning, who is accused of "aiding the enemy" by handing over army secrets to Wikileaks, is expected to be called to testify at Fort Meade army base in a hearing that's expected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

If you are in the nick for 900+ days because the plod cannot get their collective s--- together you should get credit for every single day you are confined.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

traitor

He is a traitor, he should be in an orange suit, somewhere ina conrete pen in guantanamo bay, being waterboarded every other day

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: traitor

I see your point. Let me ask you this:

was he a traitor to:

1) the United States of America,

2) its Government

3) the human race

I pick #2, and at the same time makes him a hero for #1 and #3.

2. JaitcH
        Thumb Down

Only a real COWARD would say that, hiding behind an appropriate name.

I guess it's OK for the military to shoot up innocent civilians including two Reuters people?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Joke

Re: Re: traitor

"....I guess it's OK for the military to shoot up innocent civilians...." What, now you're trying to claim the military is injecting them with heroin?

3. Psyx
        FAIL

"He is a traitor"

Not until he's found guilty in a court, dumbass.

Or do you want your 'land of the free' to just freely torture its citizens without trial?

4. Bernard M. Orwell
        FAIL

Wow, you're brave AC! Courage of your convictions there and everything!

5. Dana W

He is a hero, he spilled the beans on our governments corruption and abuses. He didn't do it to help an "enemy" or line his pockets. He did it out of horror and disgust of an administration drunk with power so badly that it saw itself above the law.

FAIL

Re: Re: traitor

Dana, he did it in a fit of childish rage brought about by his inabaility to deal with his transgender issues and accept military life, something other gays in the military did not find to be half the burden Manning turned it into.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Herr Doktor Bryant's complete analysis of Bradley Manning

will appear in next week's edition of The Onion.

2. Paul Renault

Actually,

In Canada, you get a double credit for every day you spend in jail pre-trial.

If you ask me, they should give him a week's credit for every pre-trial day he spent in solitary confinment.

/not an anonymous coward

3. ukgnome

You do get credit in the UK too - I had a fine slashed in half for spending a weekend in the cells. I was unemployed at the time and enjoyed my brief stint inside. They had the best cheese ploughman's sandwiches I seem to recall.

4. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

But since the Chimpanzee stated they were only killing brown skinned people

In the name of democracy, he got re-elected.

Oddly I don't rememebr where this reply was heading when I wrote the title.

I think I am turning into an American.

Oh god!

May I have a gun?

I want to shoot myself.

5. Psyx
      Stop

"If you are in the nick for 900+ days because the plod cannot get their collective s--- together you should get credit for every single day you are confined."

You do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should let him do the honourable thing, and volunteer for a suicide mission doing

laser spotting up a mountain above a terrorist training camp in the wilds of pakistan.....thats what I would do if I had gone soft in the head and I had betrayed my country....

3. John Latham

Waterboarding? Suicide missions?

I thought he leaked a load of low-grade junk that hundreds of thousands of people had access to?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Waterboarding? Suicide missions?

He leaked whatever he could. He therefore endangered allied personnel.

They should shoot him to send a clear message to would be traitors.

What if your life was put at risk by someone like Manning?

He has not got the guts to reclaim his honour. A squad of six riflemen could retrieve a scrap of it, at dawn.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I haven't seen any hard proof that the information that was leaked has directly or indirectly endangered allied personnel, except his own which has widely been reported on.

Not saying what he did was justified, just the argument you use is right up there with 1 download == 1 lost sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

1 download == 1 lost sale.

Straw man rubbish.

Nope nothing like that at all.

Al Queada will study all the info relevant to them, which mountain routes are known/noticed by the allies,

what tactics they think work and those that don't. It handing the enemy info they could not have otherwise got.

He deserves to be shot

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, it's exactly like that because it's just as idiotic an argument. Have you actually studied at the information released and what he had access to?

I'm sure they get lots more secret information from the people working directly with the forces, then again i could be wrong... maybe it goes down like this "shit guys, we need to know where to plant a roadside bomb..." "Sigh... ...alright, I'll hit up Wikileaks again"

Again, no proof has ever been shown that what was leaked has ever caused one causality.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Really it does not matter what he leaked. The army classifies information at various secrecy levels for a reason, and anyone leaking it is by definition a traitor and aiding the enemy. In WWII they guy would have been shot already! If the US army wants to keep credibility (and secrets) it has to shoot manning.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Yes, they have to shoot him. Otherwise other people will think leaking military secrets is somehow acceptable.

1. Graham Marsden
                  Flame

Hell, why bother with waterboarding, suicide missions or firing squads? Why don't you just burn him at the stake and be done with it!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

You're not really very much up on carbon credits and global heating, are you?

2. Chris Sake
                  FAIL

@AC 16:16. Does the US Government shoot spies for 'the other side' that have been captured?

I think not. So why the ire for Manning?

Recently, in the United States, from public records:

2010: Dongfan Chung. Sentenced to 15 years for passing secrets to China.

2010: Anna Chapman and 9 friends. Arrested, then deported in a swap with Russia for 4 US agents.

2010: Kendall Myers, and wife. Sentenced to life in prison for spying for Cuba.

2010: Noshir Gowadia. Spying for China.

2010: Pedro Leonardo Mascheroni, and wife. Spying for Venezuela.

2010: Glenn Shriver. Spying for China. 4 years imprisonment.

2010: Minkyu Martin.

2011: Mohamad Anas Haitham Soueid. Spying for Syria. Sentenced in 2012 to 18 months.

2011: Kexue Huang. Passing on information about pesticides to China, so probably does not count.

2012: Alexander Fishenko. Indicted along with 11 others, as an agent for the Russian military.

None of the above have been shot.

2. Psyx
                FAIL

"In WWII they guy would have been shot already!"

No he wouldn't. Read it:

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_by_the_United_States_military

Murder and rape get you shot or hung (or rather: used to). Nobody has been executed for aiding the enemy.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

What about the rosenburgs ?

Not even in the army....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg

Shoot the traitorous wus....

1. Psyx
                    Stop

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg"

Except they were guilty of espionage during a time of war, which isn't the charge Manning is facing. So the comparison is a little like apples and oranges.

3. teebie

"Really it does not matter what he leaked. [...] anyone leaking [Information] is by definition a traitor and aiding the enemy."

Even if the information is no use to the enemy? So leaking information that in no way...let me think of a word...aids the enemy, is by definition aiding the enemy?

That doesn't seem to follow the normal rules of logic.

Boffin

Re: Re: Waterboarding? Suicide missions?

".....Even if the information is no use to the enemy?...." It is not the possible value of a secret to the enemy if leaked but the fact that something designated as a secret, for which an oath has been sworn to protect, has been leaked. The "aiding an enemy" is an add-on.

For example, if Manning had leaked the combination for the safe in the Whitehouse Oval Office, this would be seen as a big secret, despite it being of little value to AQ or the Taleban as they are unlikely to get into the Oval Office any time soon. But, leaking the times at which the canteens in Bahgram is serving lunch every day, whilst seeming to be a minor secret to you, could be of great value to AQ and/or the Taleban if they are planning an attack on Bahgram. Leaking either secret is an equal crime, the additional charge of "aiding" with the latter is the cherry added on top.

1. Local G
                    Devil

So what you're saying is any duly elected government can make and enforce any law it wants. Only when the people vote that government out, successfully revolt against it, or the Russians capture Berlin are those laws eviscerated.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Bernard M. Orwell

Newsflash: There is no such thing as "Al Qaeda".

1. Scorchio!!

"Newsflash: There is no such thing as "Al Qaeda"."

Likewise there is no such thing as most of the Virgin brand; they are franchises.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Franchises of what? Islam?

Thats about the only thing that links any of these so-called terrorist organisations, and even that could be considered a dubious and tenuous link. The term "Al Qaeda" (spelling may vary from one news source to another: clue) is a codename created by the CIA during the 1970's (When they were training the Taleban to fight the Commies) that refers to the database they kept of "international terrorist suspects". The IRA, for instance, were listed on the same Database (making them "Al Qaeda" in modern US intelligence parlance). Bin Laden never referred to himself or his organisation as "Al Qaeda", but as "The Muslim Brotherhood". Al Qaeda translates as (depending on dialect chosen) either "The Gentlemen" or "The Base" (Often used to mean Database).

There appears to be no "hierarchy" of terrorists, (for example, there is no provable link between 9/11 and the 7/7 attacks) but the Taleban is very influential in such circles as are various Saudi houses; the Bin Laden family for example. But they're allies and own quite a lot of US businesses, so we'd best not say that too loudly eh?

Makes the oft-repeated phrase "....group linked to Al Qaeda" kinda nonsensical really.

2. Psyx
        FAIL

"He leaked whatever he could. He therefore endangered allied personnel."

He wasn't mentally stable enough to be in the job in the first place.

Therefore his BOSS is just as guilty. Bray for his head too, if you're going to bray for anyone's.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A perfect example of making bad choices

He mad bad choices and now he will be held accountable for his choices.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: A perfect example of making bad choices

The allegation ndicates Wikileaks is an enemy of the state.

What a state to be in if that is true.

Truth is your enemy?

How can that be errrmmmm... tru....errr....

5. robin48gx
    Trollface

A folk song about him

From a dingy pub in brighton....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BG0mZmRHb0

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does he not have aspergers?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are a lot of ignorant idiots commenting today.

No he shouldn't be shot!

But he shouldn't of disclosed any info.

I have had to sign the secrets act on more than one occasion, I can't tell you why but I can tell you that I take it very seriously even though I disagree with a few things that I have had to sign it for.

*So I now do what the government does, and leave some documents on the train.

1. Blane Bramble
      Black Helicopters

@AC 16:47

If you have had to sign the Official Secrets Act, then you will know that everyone is already bound by it, whether they have read a copy of it or not. The bit you sign is just a reminder of your existing obligations.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What bugs me about the OSA is that you have to sign it every time again. It's not like it expires or has a limited scope, so it tells me more about the state of admin of the people I had to work for - all want their own piece of paper..

1. Psyx
        Thumb Up

"What bugs me about the OSA is that you have to sign it every time again."

Consider it a reminder!

8. Oninoshiko
    WTF?

10pm - 5am. That's 8 hours of sleep, I normally get 6-7 during the week.

I'm not sure why they are complaining about that. It's probably more then he got in basic.

1. Vic

> 10pm - 5am. That's 8 hours of sleep

No it isn't...

Vic.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, come on!

executing Manning is not going to deter a second Manning any more than the first dose of gonorrhea deters a second.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Is This The Daily Mail?

Or a YouTube comments page?

My goodness... it brings out the nasties... Bring back the cat! Hanging's too good for 'em! Ship 'em all to an island somewhere! Yes, you're right: I grew up in the 1950s.

Seems to me that, assuming the facts fit the appearances (nobody has been tried yet) that this guy has committed a criminal act for which he can truly expect the old 15-ton weight on his head, but baying for blood is about as civilised as the US govt's treatment of the guy up to this point. Cruel and unusual? Barely civilised.

My bit of baying, although not for blood, is that the other guy should be on trial with him, no posing as a celebrity seeker of political asylum

1. Scorchio!!
      Thumb Down

Re: Is This The Daily Mail?

This is a matter of military discipline. If you are a civvy you might not understand, but military discipline is particularly firm and often harsh, particularly where secrets are concerned. This is not a civilian matter where you can cry and talk about your harsh childhood; I have already posted up material showing that the Taliban have said that they will be having a word with those informants whose GPS data have been revealed. It is not up to Manning, you or anyone not in the strategic/military loop to decide on what secrets can be revealed, by definition. Practically all of the 'no harm done' waffle is mere hot air and I suspect that much if not all of it comes from spotty delinquents in their bedrooms.

1. Rab Sssss
        Alert

Basicly what sccorchio said, its not a civil trial. Solitery confiment probably savved him a lot oof abuse at the hands of other inmates TBH.

He would prrobably have been as popular as a child abuser in a civvie nick.

2. Psyx
        Stop

"This is a matter of military discipline. If you are a civvy you might not understand, but military discipline is particularly firm and often harsh, particularly where secrets are concerned."

It is. And any military confinement is unpleasant and harsh. I expect his interrogation did involve sleep deprivation, stress positions and general misery. That comes with the turf.

But then they found out what they wanted to, and he went through another 800 days of severe punishment WITHOUT TRAIL OR COURT MARTIAL.

I expect military justice to be swift and harsh. This was harsh, but not swift and it was carried out without bothering to find him guilty.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just...

Read what I said, not what you like to think I said.

But, to answer what you said anyway: bollocks, sir. Ultimately this is a very serious crime, but even a criminal has rights, even a spy. The USA is right to prosecute the man, whether in a civil or a military court. For those who have a little difficulty with reading, I said prosecute, not persecute.

11. David Glasgow

The upvotes and downvotes

......have spoken.

12. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Pint

Hmmm, 10 for 1, eh!

So, 900 days already, that would get him 9,000 days off his sentence. If he goes down for the fifty year sentence expected that lops it almost in half, so leaving about twenty-five years to serve. Not sure if you get time off for good behaviour in Levenworth so he could still be aged fifty when released, and that will probably be with a dishonourable discharge. So even then his prospects are pretty poor for starting a new career. Maybe A$$nut will give him a job as his condom shopper in Ecuador.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm, 10 for 1, eh!

Or he could post as an anonymous coward here and give you a taste of your bitter remarks.

Facepalm

Re: Re: Hmmm, 10 for 1, eh!

"Or he could post as an anonymous coward....." Puh-lease, Manning is all about attention, there is no way he would turn down the opportunity to garner some fawning from the sheeple like you. Mind you, he could post as Breanna so you might miss it.

1. Local G
          Meh

Re: " Manning is all about attention"

I thought Assange was all about attention.

Try to get your male bovine poo straight.

FAIL

Re: Re: " Manning is all about attention"

Manning wants to belong, just not in the military, and wants people to tell him he is smart and valued. His problem was he could not modify his actions and outlook to what the military norm required, despite thousands of other gays not finding this a problem. A$$nut is different, he just wants everyone to say he is God.

Oh, whilst you're bleating about Manning, did you see the item on the Beeb where Manning admitted he made a noose whilst in detention in Kuwait, prior to being put on suicide watch? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20563539. Looks like you'll have to withdraw all that squealing you and your like-minded chums posted about the suicide watch being "unjustified torture".

1. Local G
              Happy

Re: " Manning is all about attention"

"he just wants everyone to say he is God."

And you're the first dude to say it.

"Manning admitted he made a noose whilst in detention in Kuwait,"

So sometimes 'a stitch in time doesn't save nine.' I can't believe you're faulting him for that.

"squealing you and your like-minded chums posted about the suicide watch being "unjustified torture"."

Thanks for pointing out to us that it was "JUSTIFIED TORTURE".

Re: Re: " Manning is all about attention"

"....And you're the first dude to say it....." Sorry, but A$$nut's narcicism and god-complex have been commented on plenty by many others, just obviously not on your steeples' approved reading list.

".... I can't believe you're faulting him for that....." I'm not faulting him, it's just a indicator of his mental condition. I am faulting you and the other Faithful that insisted the suicide watch was not .

"......TORTURE...." What, they made him sleep naked for a week because he'd already made a noose once? I think it's time you and your fellow numpties went and read about real torture:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Houses-of-torture-found-in-Fallujah-Bloody-2634289.php

http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/07/03/syria-torture-centers-revealed

http://www.hrw.org/node/82359/section/4

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Manning - the poster boy for dumb Marines

Who else, other than a Marine 'mind' would subject someone to the punishment Manning suffered whilst the world's spotlight was shining on him?

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Military Intelligence

NT

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Traitor

So by your standard, even if your government commits atrocious acts then you should always support them? Like if you grew up in, oh say, Afghanistan, and your government was harboring trrists and stoning women then you should always always support the government for fear of being called a 'traitor' by someone like yourself?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Traitor

its about keeping military secrets, if you leak secrets you endanger your own people. If I were american and in that cell I'd have a go at manning if I got the chance....traitor to his army.

15. Moosey

Do the crime, serve the time

Regardless of what anyone has done, if you get sentenced for a period of time, that's what you should serve. I have no problem with 1 for 1 for time served before, but you shouldn't get a bonus for it.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They U.S. don't shoot traitors any more

Manning has a reserved room at the Iron Bar Hotel for the next fifty years and no they don't reduce the sentence for good behavior. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

17. Tony Paulazzo
    Alien

I thought Barack Obama was all about open government and transparency, as well as health care for every American. I see less and less of this every day.

Manning was a whistleblower not a traitor and should be honoured accordingly.

Dictionary.com:

1. a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust.

2. a person who commits treason by betraying his or her country.

He most certainly did not betray his country, but shone the light on power hungry monsters who love secrets and the dark places in the human soul.

1. Matt Siddall

agreed

Why is it ok when those working for a private sector company spill the beans on their dodgy activities (whistle blowing) but not when someone working for the government does the same?

Boffin

Re: agreed

He was not working for the government, he was working for the military - different set of rules, different contract and it has an oath about secrecy even before you get to his extra commitments for the specific role he had. This wasn't just some guy whistle-blowing on something like possible errors in government stats being hidden, this was a guy that recklessly leaked secret material that could endanger people, to a guy he knew would then distribute it to anyone willing to pay.

2. Rab Sssss
      Facepalm

No pretty much stright option 1, trust was given and he abused it. To make it worse he volinteered to be part of the US Armed Forces, He took an oath. He broke that oath

Now through his own actions he is right in the shite.

1. Psyx
        Thumb Up

"No pretty much stright option 1, trust was given and he abused it. To make it worse he volinteered ...

Now through his own actions he is right in the shite."

A bit like Sgt. Nightingale. Except the media is on his side for some derranged reason, and instead of wanting the highly trained killer with brain injuries and an illegal firearm to be throw in the clink for years, people seem to want him let off. Crazy world!

1. Rab Sssss
          Thumb Down

Completly different TBH, having read the pdf of the court martial procedings for Sgt Nightingale who did plead guilty (with some pretty good extenuating circumstances it has to be said).

About the only thing both case would have in common is they are both court martials.

1. Psyx

"(with some pretty good extenuating circumstances it has to be said)."

Really? What were they, to your mind?

Because I read the court martial documents too, and to me the media painted his tale in the most flattering light, while failing to mention that he'd illegally owned the firearm for a couple of years and stole 400 rounds of assorted ammunition from the Army to boot!

1. Rab Sssss

The 2 years it spent in secure lockup (untouched), he did not pack it in the first place, not even touching on the medical issues.

Not touching on the ammo charge only the pistol one. the main differnces between him and manning is one took resposiblity for the charges one tried to deny it all.

Also you will note I am not calling for the charges to be dissmissed against him, as per my first post in this thread, military regs are stricter and it was court martial. I don't thnk there are any pararells between him and manning apart from they both had/are going through court martials

1. Psyx

"Not touching on the ammo charge only the pistol one. the main differnces between him and manning is one took resposiblity for the charges one tried to deny it all."

Not really. He's not taken responsibility inthat he's trying the whole "I didn't know" line, coupled with now claiming that he was essentially blackmailed into pleading guilty.

"I don't thnk there are any pararells between him and manning apart from they both had/are going through court martials"

I think it's valid in that both cases are 'trial by press'. Except in one case Manning is being slated, whereas Nightingale is being labelled as a hero.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

1980's

I knew someone who stole ammo from the army, and it was found out when his 11 year old took some live .762 to school. Eventually a techer saw it who actually knew what it was. He fessed up, gave back a load of ammo (including a practise 84mm round???why nick that???). The MP's searched his house, he was booted out and that was it. No court martial nothing. They even ignored his semi legal long shot .22 fully auto AR15 thing, and his shotguns, and his trip wire shotgun booby traps. He was a nutter though and I was glad he was booted out of the army. He sometimes used to have live ammo on him on excersise (like in aldershot) where everyone else was using blanks "in case of real trouble, like the red army faction when they killed some yanks". But sgt nighting-gale, I think they have ben far too harsh there......

1. Dana W

Re: 1980's

Full auto is NEVER legal in the US without a very, very, expensive and hard to get federal license and the sort of background checks that make a colonoscopy seem distant and impersonal.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

They may have thought the AR15 long shot conversion was not fully auto, but this guy was an armourer and had converted it. I dont think the switch had a marked auto position, but it did fire auto. I mean even I could convert an FN rifle (SLR) to fully auto by placing a matchstick under the trip sear...its not rocket science.

Happy

".....even I could convert an FN rifle (SLR) to fully auto by placing a matchstick under the trip sear...." COUGH*bearcantab*COUGH

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

Actually though it was funny when someone once forgot he had put his SLR on auto with the matchstick trick, went onto a 300m range, very carefully took aim, gently squeezed the trigger on the ETR target which had just popped up, and instead of a single shot and waiting for the target to drop, he got a BA-BA-BA-BA-BAM the thing surprising him leaping up against his shoulder and wild shots into the air!

Happy

Re: Re: 1980's

Knew a grunt who fractured his cheekbone doing the same.

18. robin48gx
    Happy

He hacked into the pentagon to set information free

Manning and Assange hacked the info out of the pentagon.

Its revealed here in a public pronouncement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDrW5NOsD4 10:58 onwards, according to

the Gong.

19. Palebushman
    Pint

Time For A Little Perspective.

Guess it would be best if I don my headphones and absorb my old Bob Dylan vinyl's. This thread contains too many AC's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like