back to article Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 arrives, first of many

Microsoft has released the first major update to Visual Studio 2012, in what company reps say is only the first in "a regular cadence" of planned improvements to its flagship developer tool suite. Redmond launched VS2012 just over two months ago, but according to S. Somasegar, corporate veep of Microsoft's Developer Division, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jolyon Smith
    Mushroom

Regularity <> Frequency

The frequency of updates cannot be inferred from a stated intent to provide updates regularly without any indication as to frequency.

With only one sample point so far, you might just as well infer that the next update will be in November 2013.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if you ask me (which you didn't), at a max. of £13,370.00 for Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 with MSDN I'd also want a visiting daily massage included in the subscription to feel like I was even approaching a value for money purchase.

1. Justin Bennett
      Meh

Check the rate

The price you referenced was in $, it's cheaper but still ridiculous in £, but many companies (mine included) will pay a fraction of the Premium listed cost.

Very little benefit to stepping up though, but some nice tools are in the top version.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Check the rate

Honestly, it was in pounds. I had to look twice too - before I fell over :)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.255123900

2. Ru
      Paris Hilton

Prices are high to allow the salespeople some wiggle-room, and let the buyers feel like they're hardcore negotiators and that they got a super good deal.

I also suspect that all those folk who negotiate a better price pay the standard, unlisted price for any of this sort of stuff also sign an agreement to never say how much they paid... so it is quite possible that some of them got the masseuse deal that you're interested in.

3. dewee
    Thumb Up

one more good sign from MS

someone will try to see negatives as usual, chill out!

great IDE and more features, that's what engineers need, thank you!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it still monochrome? Tried it, but like going back 20 years.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Butt Ugly UI

I wish they'd do something about the Black 'n' White (1950's), all Caps (FFS) Butt Ugly UI; hate it so much I switched to using Eclipse for code editing and only use VS for the stuff Eclipse can't (yet) handle.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Another Justin

Re: Butt Ugly UI

I've been using it since it was released and I'd never go back. Aside from pretty much every feature being better (especially the quick search thing and the in-editor searching) the old blue of VS 2010 now just looks awful in comparison (SQL 2012 Management Studio is based on VS 2010 shell so I have to use it from time to time)

If you really want to "do something about it" then you can do it yourself - the menu caps thing can be changed with a registry setting and you can change the color scheme to whatever you like (including the blue)

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/YourColorfulVisualStudio2012WithTheColorThemeEditorVS2010ColorsToo.aspx

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: you can do it yourself

You shouldn't have to tweak a product to make it not difficult or unpleasant to use.

1. foxyshadis

Re: you can do it yourself

That's the same as saying "You shouldn't have to tweak a product for it to use my preferred brace style." It has no clue what your favorite color is, although at least on Win8, it could do a better job of matching your base OS theme color. Different people have different wants, some love it and some don't; as long as there's a way to change defaults, the world moves on.

6. silent_count

Is it just me...

or are the presence of bugs in developer tools terribly disconcerting? As in, it doesn't say a great deal about the virtue of the tools in question if even the people who write the tools can't get them to function well enough to produce bug free code.

I realise that it's an irrational feeling. The more complex the software (I'm sure the VS suite is pretty, damn complex) the more likely that bugs will be present, regardless of the nature of the software. But bugs in dev tools erm.. bug me more than in anything else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me...

All depends on the bugs. Obviously I'd be extremely unhappy if a compiler was screwed or unpredictable but in a large product like VS with different groups working on different parts with different testing methodologies I would't get paranoid about, for instance, some minor UI features/bugs implying anything about anything else. All the same, I'll admit it bugs me a bit too.

2. foxyshadis
      Devil

Re: Is it just me...

The bugtrackers of various compilers (gcc & microsoft connect in particular) would probably give you a heart attack. Even if most of the bugs involve compiler crashes rather than miscompiles, those still crop up from time to time as well, mostly in new features or new optimization methods. Stick to features that were in the last version or two, and you're usually safe.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sticking with VS10.

It's colourful, I can tell what is pushable, and it doesn't remind me of Metro.

Oh. And it doesn't make me feel like I've spent all day at loved one's funerals.

8. jb99

Great

Ok so I liked the way 2010 looked better than 2012 in general but other than that it's a terrific tool for c++ development and well worth the money. (for the professional edition at least, I cant see what you get worth the money for the much more expensive ones...)

Nice to see them shipping timely updates, and the preview of the missing c++11 features they recently added. There are a lot of negative people comments on this, but I think they are doing very very much better than they have in the past with visual studio!

1. Denier
      FAIL

Re: Great

I had the blue theme and the all caps menu sorted 5 mins after i installed it. I can't believe that a pro programmer would not use it because of them.

9. John 62
    Megaphone

Visual Studio 4EVA

VS4 is the ONE TRUE Visual Studio. All others since have merely added unnecessary bloat.

(my final year project supervisor at uni said something along those lines back when VS6 was current, though I have edited his comment for el Reg house/commentard style)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like