back to article Minnesota store CUPBOARD was full of rocks FOUND ON MOON

Small pieces of the moon have turned up in a Minnesotan basement and no one is quite sure how they got there. The five samples of Moon rock along with a small Minnesotan flag were transported from the Moon after Neil Armstrong's historic first visit to the Earth's satellite. But the rocks haven't been given quite the respect …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mark 63 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

NASA property!

Judging by the way NASA reacted to Neil Armstrongs diary going on sale,

I suspect they'll send a bunch of heavies round to reclaim these rocks!

2. Pyros
    WTF?

...really?

*looks at his copy of "Sex On The Moon" by Ben Mezrich*

The monetary values of those rocks would give NASA some extra funding, that's for sure. And they're letting little grubby kids finger them?

Right, best break out the actual dinosaur bones for public fondling, not the plaster casts they put out for display...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...really?

Most museums do actually put the Dinosaur bones* on display. It is however extremely rare to find a fossilised specimen with the majority of its constituent parts, let alone a whole skeleton. This means smaller museums - which have less funding than the big national ones - have to settle for displays that may only contain a femur and a few vertebrae, with the vast majority of the rest of the skeleton made up of plaster casts taken from more complete fossils.

*They're actually lumps of rock but whatever.

3. Arachnoid
    FAIL

Hmm......me wonders if someday someone, somewhere will find these lumps of rocks actually came from Earth .......

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

They were given by President Nixon - I mean if you can't trust Nixon, who can you trust?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Just go fetch some more, what's the problem?

There is a whole Moon full of it!

5. Pyros
    Boffin

Re: Re: ...really?

Well, yeah, but here's the thing: Only "common" fossils get holes and iron bars stuck into them--given how we still don't know a whole lot about Dinosauria and the eras they lived it, many are exceedingly valuable to the scientific literati. I bet you didn't know about the bonehouses that hold the actual fossils in storage--even the Smithsonian has one quietly sitting somewhere in DC.

Anyways, we're getting off-track.

6. asdf
    FAIL

sigh

Those rocks shouldn't be nearly as valuable as they are but considering the way things are going it might be another century before we can get more. Wonder what people would have said in the late 1960's in the US if we told them 40+ years in the future the only way we could get into space is by hitching a ride from our "buddies" then the Russians. Eat that humble pie.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boring pedant warning

It's just Star Tribune, formerly Minneapolis Star Tribune. Not Minnesota Star Tribune.

8. Dana W
    Happy

I saw one of those! They used to have one in a bubble on a plaque at the capital! I always assumed it had been stolen.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Eh?

"The five samples of Moon rock along with a small Minnesotan flag were transported from the Moon..."

I can see tomorrow's Daily Star now: "Minnesotan souvenir shop FOUND ON MOON!!11!!"

This topic is closed for new posts.