back to article Oracle de-cloaks JavaScript Nashorn project

A project to make JavaScript work better with Java is being kicked off with a boost from Oracle. Oracle’s multi-language lead Jim Laskey has announced Project Nashorn, which aims to build a lightweight, high-performance runtime in Java using the native Virtual Machine (JVM). Nashorn will start from scratch, using entirely new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Bourke

You can already run JS on the server ...

using Rhino, you mean.

2. Ru

Er, is this news?

Nashorn has been in the works for a while; its effectively been the test bed for a lot of the new dynamic language support coming into the JVM. The name of the project and its existence and goals have been public knowledge, so what else has changed?

3. h3

"Nashorn will start from scratch, using entirely new code, according to Laskey, with initial source coming from an unnamed Oracle internal project." ???

Maybe I have a different view of starting from scratch. (It is not from scratch if code comes from anywhere else).

4. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    WTF?

Surely anything that extends the use of JavaScript is a bad thing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sadly for many (including a depressing number of my IT colleagues here) just knowing that Java and Javascript are two separate things will be a start...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"JavaScript is finding its way on to the server in particular, thanks to PHP"

Can anyone explain what the above means? It seems paradoxical to me.

1. David Dawson

Re: "JavaScript is finding its way on to the server in particular, thanks to PHP"

Seems nonsense to me.

What has PHP got to do with Javascript in any way shape or form?

You may write a site using a JS front end and a PHP backend ... buts thats the only thing I can come up with, and that just ain't the same things as JS on the server, which is then properly discussed in the last bit of the article.

7. Schnoerkelman
    Boffin

Boot nail: Nashorn is coincidentally the German word for Rhinoceros.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How is it pronounced?

Is it Nash-orn or Nas-horn?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How is it pronounced?

it's actually "NAHS-horn".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like