back to article Venus EXPOSED in predawn threesome with Saturn and Mercury

Any stargazers who manages to get out of bed early tomorrow morning will see Venus, Saturn and Mercury together in the predawn sky. Saturn and Venus conjunction in November 2012 Mercury will appear near to the east-southeastern horizon, while Venus and Saturn will experience a very close conjunction, visible for the next …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

After the conjunction, Venus and Saturn will part ways

And all this to warn me to be careful in dealings involving a friend!

1. fearnothing
      Thumb Up

Re: After the conjunction, Venus and Saturn will part ways

I got the F&S reference, even if nobody else did.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Happy

Re: After the conjunction, Venus and Saturn will part ways

And they say this country has no culture!

2. Stevie

Re: I got the F&S reference, even if nobody else did.

Well done! Have some Madeira and see if you can get this one: "You already knew that and we don't care".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Go on....credit Stellarium for the pic!

You know it makes sense. :)

For the rest of you who can't make it, have a crap South East facing way (me included), you could use Stellarium!

1. Steven Roper
      Pint

Re: Go on....credit Stellarium for the pic!

Stellarium is good, but I prefer Celestia myself. If I want to look at Venus and Saturn from an Earth-centric perspective, I need only go outside of an evening, as much as look it up on Stellarium. But if I then want to actually fly to Venus or Saturn and explore them in detail, Celestia is the way to go! (It also has very nice models of the ISS, Hubble, Cassini and Voyager for you to travel to / with.)

Not to mention its usefulness in checking out all the known exoplanets as well...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Go on....credit Stellarium for the pic!

"If I want to look at Venus and Saturn from an Earth-centric perspective, I need only go outside of an evening".

Lucky you. Around here it's all tower blocks. (Oh, for the key to the roof.) Of course for the view from space it's Orbiter all the way for me. Nothing like a good docking, now and then.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Step right up, see Jupiter's moons!

I tried, but my pair can't be as big as yours and my hand wobbles too much to keep the correct angle...

Couldn't see anything through the binoculars either.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. csmac3144
    Happy

Get some, already

You nerds are completely obsessed with sex! You need to get a real, live human female for a change. Most people who, uh, get laid regularly aren't interested in the constant sexual innuendo in a site allegedly about computers and technology.

Will someone *please* get these nerds a bit of tail?!?

1. frank ly

Re: Get some, already

What is it they say about people who 'protest too much'? :)

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Get some, already

"Most people who, uh, get laid regularly aren't interested in the constant sexual innuendo"

I think you'll find they are. Maybe you have a rather flaccid libido compared to normal men.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

FIFY

"Most people who, uh, get laid regularly aren't interested in the constant sexual innuendo"... so I hear

:P

5. relpy
    Coat

Correction

"Venus going down while Saturn rises"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drip drop drip drop

Unfortunately looking at the forecast, any stargazer around here who manages to get out of bed early tomorrow morning will see a lot of grey clouds whilst getting their pyjamas and slippers rather wet if they venture outside.

Which is a shame really...

1. relpy

Re: Drip drop drip drop

Thanks for the much needed excuse *not* to get up around about dawn and stare at the sky (m'lud), with a large pair of astronomical (m'lud) binoculars between (your honour) the houses on the opposite side of the road.

You may have just saved me from prison.

1. Stoneshop
        Boffin

Re: Drip drop drip drop

Despite a thin cloud cover and too much street lighting, I managed to see the lot this morning when I got out the door (06:45 GMT+1), just before sunrise. Well, not Spica, but the planets concerned were quite visible.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And according to....

... some deluded bint on BBC Radio 2, that explains all the upset weather we've been having.

1. Dazed and Confused
      Facepalm

Re: And according to....

Hey clouds have horoscopes too.

2. Stoneshop
      Coat

some deluded bint

Was she moistened, and lobbing swords?

8. John 62
    Thumb Up

saw it this morning

quite spectacular.

Will have to see if I can spot Mercury tomorrow

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: saw it this morning

Good luck with that. I've been casually looking at stars and planets since I was 8, and know my way round the sky pretty good. Mercury is a bugger to spot, even at the best of times. If your horizon is a little hilly and there its less than ideal sky conditions it's dead tricky. I always find a scan with binocs first to find it, then its easier to see without them. Noticing it in the first place in the glow is the difficult bit. Anyway, let me now return from geekdom back to being a good looking rebel who plays by his own rules......

9. wavettore

New and old Science

A new and Progressive Science shows how Wavevolution, or the transformation from waves to atoms, is the connecting link that closes the circle of science to open our eyes toward new horizons never seen before.

The bureaucracy of traditional science prevents the recognition of any event unless certain criteria are first met. The problem of this science is buried deep in the compilation of these "laws" or criteria introduced by a few scientists in the name of all science and from their erroneous understanding of the relation between Space and Time. This antiquated system of rules also results in misleading theories.

For example, Space is not “curved”.

In Einstein's paradigm, a stone that falls on the ground from the window of a moving train also marks one parabola in Space. Although, this path is only apparent since the Earth is also moving and the Time spent by the stone to reach the ground has also changed to some degree that imaginary vertical line. At the Time of the initial Movement when the stone falls from the window, its potential trajectory is one perpendicular Space that is no longer the same as the stone continues to move until it hits the ground. If the scientist had known that the coordinates of Space in Time are unique and unrepeatable then all the rest would have also been "straight". That perpendicular is straight but accounted as “curve” because of the limits of science unable to recognize the issue of simultaneity. In reference to each body on each moment in Time there are always only two coordinates in Space for one perpendicular.

And with two coordinates there is no curve.

One perpendicular is unrepeatable and never the same because while the measure of it is repeatable and any measurement can be applied for different segments instead one perpendicular marked in Time will never again have the same spatial positioning. The perpendicular changes in Time but Einstein believed that the concept of Space is independent from the concept of Time.

Another example is in the special theory of relativity which denies all absolutes and meanings of truth. This is in regard to Einstein's example of two beams of light hitting one same embankment of a railroad on two Points: Point A and Point B. In between the two there is also the middle point, Point M. If one train were to run over that track then on the train we would also have Point A1 on the wagon of the train correspondent to above Point A and also one other corresponding Point B1 right above Point B. We would also have on the train the corresponding Point M1 above Point M. Einstein's theory is that as for Point M (not moving because on the embankment) those two beams are simultaneous and equidistant, instead, for the passenger sitting on M1 and moving towards Point B1 (and also toward Point B) the two beams are not simultaneous because the beam in Point B1 is being approached by the moving train, therefore closer to M1. In this example, while Einstein’s concept of Time is rigidly kept unchanged in regard to the embankment, instead, the concept of Space is extended also to the next moment in Time when the traveler will move even if in that precise instant the traveler has not moved yet. Since the concept of simultaneity had been put aside, Einstein considered Time to be the same while Space instead had changed.

Also, this same scientist erroneously believed that all colors in the light spectrum travel at the same speed.

Much confusion comes from these approximations.

One new Awareness will be found in between the winding creativity of the human mind and the rigid logic of numbers.

1. Stoneshop
      Pint

Holy crap

what a load of codswallop. I couldn't write that much scatterbrained twaddle even after sitting in the pub with aManFromMars over 18 beers.

This topic is closed for new posts.