back to article Italians deploy fearsome SPY MANNEQUINS to win Fashion Wars

Don't think you can escape personalised adverts by switching the computer off. Luxury shops have started to use seeing-eye mannequins that harvest data about customers in the real world and - yes - target ads so they can sell more. Packing technology that is used in airport security, the EyeSee mannequins from Italian company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn

Thank god I shop online...at least I can do something to protect my privacy there.

1. TRT Silver badge

These things track purchases too? By payment card, I take it. So, where's the swipe rea... Oh.

2. Lord Voldemortgage

"Thank god I shop online...at least I can do something to protect my privacy there."

Does this sort of thing really matter in privacy terms?

And if it does are you less private in this scenario than you are shopping on line?

3. LarsG
      Meh

The European courts will probably stop it claiming privacy concerns. Still, I'd like to swear at it and see what response I get!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mumble mumble terror mumble President mumble...

2. hplasm
    Terminator

Do they

have drop-down hands with guns in the wrists?

1. frank ly

Re: Do they

No, they are fembots. They have tastefully concealed machine guns.

1. Steve the Cynic
        Joke

I'm pretty sure I don't want to know where you think the guns would be in order to qualify as "tastefully concealed".

2. The March Hare

look out for the one that looks like Yul Brynner - hell! they all do!!

3. Babbit55
      Coat

Don't be silly,. Everyone knows the guns will be in the nipple!

1. TRT Silver badge

Isn't that location already reserved for the little flashing red lights that are supposed to be on CCTV cameras to show that they are working?

4. Robert E A Harvey
      Terminator

you have been spying on me with your Auton space rays!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And frickin' lasers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taxi Driver anyone?

Travis Bickle: You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the f--- do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK. (Draws weapon)

4. TRT Silver badge

Don't worry about the cameras...

they're all dummies.

5. Lockwood

Will they put the tannoy speakers in there too?

"Hey look at this!"

*get nearer to look at it more*

"COULD THE STORE MANAGER PLEASE REPORT TO CUSTOMER SERVICES, THAT IS THE STORE MANAGER TO CUSTOMER SERVICES. THANK YOU."

6. TseTT
    Big Brother

Scarey

I was scared stiff many years ago (1970's?), when a Doctor Who storey featured some mannequins that came to life.

I have never been too keen on them since.

This will not help me at all :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scarey

Visitors to my kitchen/studio often gasp as they catch sight of an unexpected "person" in the corner - actually a mannequin in some of my old clothes. It acts as a 3D sculpture reference model as it is a good modelling of the human body's proportions.

The natural looking eyes and a wig are what make it look life-like. The real art of bringing a mannequin to life is in the painting. Instead of a flat skin colour there should be natural gradations. One day I might try my hand at doing that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Scarey

I had someone in a shop almost have a heart attack.

I was stood by the counter while a colleague was talking.

When I moved, they were quite shocked. "I thought you were a mannequin!"

And people say I can't stand still.

7. koolholio
    Joke

Grim days for some

Bad news for the cross dressers then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can the next version be mobile, so they can break out through the shop window and run out down the street after our pioneering electronica friends Kraftwerk as per "Showroom Dummies"? ;)

P.S.most of the earlier album "Radio-activity" was even more scary and interesting but no idea how you'd visualise it....

9. LaeMing
    Alert

Whatever you do...

Don't blink!

1. RAMChYLD
      Mushroom

Re: Whatever you do...

They're dummies, not statues!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Whatever you do...

Yeah, when my missus goes clothes shopping, most of the weeping comes from me, the "angel" in the corner who agreed to treat her and pay for it.

2. LaeMing

Re: They're dummies, not statues!

Just a different sub-species. These ones don't assassinate you, they steal your wallet.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"technology that is used in airport security"

Is that supposed to impress us?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...can sense and log the gender, race and age of people.

Race? Really?

What, exactly do they measure? I thought that kind of thing was discredited ...around about the end of WWII, to avoid using the name one must not mention on the internet

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like