back to article Plan your BLACK FRIDAY CHARGE: Google shop maps go desktop

Google Maps' indoor offerings - floor plans, often of shops or other public spaces, until now browsable on Android devices only - are now browsable in browsers too, so one can plan a day out down to the smallest detail. Floorplans launched in America just over a year ago, and in the UK back in July, but only on Android devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

My prediction

Some American will walk into a wall that "wasn't on my phone" and will sue for a few million damages with extra for pain and suffering.

Paris - Cuz she's 'Merican.

1. Greg J Preece
      Joke

Re: My prediction

Haven't Apple just finalised the designs for their new building? Bet they've patented walls.

But not Windows, boom boom!

2. Anonymous John

Re: My prediction

Didn't an American woman fall into a fountain in a shopping mall a year or two ago because she was using a phone? This sounds like the ideal solution.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Hold on...

... you've just been giving thanks for everything you have, then the next day you try to kill each other over cut-price consumer goods?

3. ratfox

They might be getting the data

Still not perfect at showing it. It does not seem possible to display anything else than the ground floor. Hm. Let's hope it will come…

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All very well...

... but will it show me where they've put the ^&*@ olive oil in ^&*@ Tesco *this* ^&*@ week ?

1. M Gale

Re: All very well...

I'm too tired.

I saw the self-censorship above and thought it was a malformed regular expression.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone.

5. peter 45
    Happy

Bags of smoke

Bags of smoke and straight up the middle was also known as the 'Hay Diddle Diddle' manoeuvre.....back in the day.

6. tony2heads
    FAIL

Heathrow map

Heathrow is precisely the sort of place that you need a an 'indoor' map of. Just like any other structure that goes on for miles.

7. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Devil

The dark side

You never get something for nothing. Several malls in the U.S. tried tracking customer's shopping habits by snooping their phone data. Consumers didn't like the idea. Ah, but now you can have maps while Google spies on you. There was much rejoicing.

It works for automobile traffic data. Everyone loves the fact you can view traffic conditions on Google Maps. Few realize that the data comes from Google sniffing your position and speed from your cell phones.

Personally, I love the idea. I have already spied on my girlfriend's GPS data to determine which shops she spends the most time in. Shockingly, the answer is "shoe stores."

8. Popup

Next step:

http://www.jasperfforde.com/toad/googlemaps.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like