back to article Nickers nab Assassin's Creed cache in Benelux blag

Thieves made away with a lorryload of Assassin's Creed 3 copies bound for the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg this week. Most gamers who pre-ordered the title will still get their game. Ubisoft has released more stock for distribution. But customers from those countries who had pre-ordered the limited 'Join or Die' edition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4
    Happy

Why is Ubisoft still producing games?

I really don't get it. This isn't a dig at the quality of the games or their gigantic hard-on for DRM. It's about the fact they really, honestly can't stand their customers.

We've already seen previously their views on their PC owning customers, with the phrase "thieving pirate scum" taking a prominent role in that discussion. Now, they seem to be saying "Oh, the AC3 Collector's Edition's got lifted and pre-orderers won't get their shiny medals. Who gives a fuck, right?"

This seems to go beyond mere contempt and veers into actual dislike. Maybe they should do what their hearts are telling them to: leave the gaming industry and settle down on a farm somewhere and raise sheep. They bleat less and they don't need as much copy protection software installed on them.

Do the right thing Ubisoft. You'll be happier in the long run. =)

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Why is Ubisoft still producing games?

It does seem odd - presumably they will get an insurance payout for the truck of stuff, so there seems to be no reason why they cannot re-manufacture the stolen kit.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Devil

"so there seems to be no reason why they cannot re-manufacture the stolen kit."

Well, as a corporation they can trouser the extra dough and give themselves larger bonuses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As an Ex-Ubi employee I can tell you after a visit from Yves Guillemot to our office, when asked about DRM (staff hated it too, we play games..) he said it's staying, that pc games will be 90% pirated otherwise. He HATES pc gamers and distrusts gamers in general

I can also tell you that you can console yourself with the knowledge that they hate their staff even more. 50 hour weeks for a year (unpaid overtime because apparently i'm nice like that) to be made redundant with 5 minutes notice to clear my desk along with 20 others, a few weeks before Christmas.

1. Thomas 4
        WTF?

@AC: Holy shit. I was actually being slightly tounge in cheek with my first post. I never expected to be right. oO. From your description he sounds like a real asshole.

2. mastodon't
    Pirate

Bloody Templars

Jacking lorries skill training required

3. David Hicks
    Paris Hilton

Reminds me I still haven't played the last one

And now I've looked it up I'm not sure how to go about purchasing it. There are a bewildering array of editions available, all of which have some extra stuff (but not really all of it).

Cheapy platinum edition it is then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i guess downloads are more practical :-)

1. MJI Silver badge

Downloads cost more

To avoid upsetting the retailers.

1. P. Lee

Re: Downloads cost more

> To avoid upsetting the retailers.

Precisely. Although I'm not convinced that high-street retailers could not be done without when it comes to games.

Amazon would be a reasonable boxed-set delivery system.

*rubs hands at thought of Amazon coming to Oz*

1. P. Lee

ps. also, "to protect retailers" is a great excuse to keep the prices high...

1. MJI Silver badge

No it is quite simply that if yout new game was the same price on line as in the shop, people will buy online, and the shops will consider not selling your console.

So basically Game and co, have told the online shops not to undercut them.

Except Steam and PCs.

My main issue though is disc space, £10 extra for the game - then 20 to 50GB for the game - only got a 320GB drive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like