back to article CERN rushes to install new anti-matter hunter

CERN scientists are on an instrument sprint to prep a new anti-matter detector, ALPHA-2, ahead of the facility’s upgrade shutdown in December. The facility has taken delivery of new kit that includes a cryostat provided by Canada’s TRIUMF laboratory, and a 1 Tesla superconducting solenoid magnet. The anti-matter detector team …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Joke

Everything is opposite.

Does this mean they hope the new detector is a complete failure?

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I thought the tunnels, etc were all out of bounds whilst the LHC was running. So how are they installing it whilst the LHC is running ?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Well, it's not "running" continuously.

It's like an office printer. Switch it on, switch it off.

Then dismantle it for repairs for a few month.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How many KWH

Does their EDF bill show?

Glorified microwave for the priveledged few whilst millions die from starvation and disease, where would you spend the money better?

1. Laurie
          Thumb Up

Re: How many KWH

Personally? On hookers and cocaine.

2. kyza

Re: How many KWH

My rough guesstimate at the total cost of the LHCs lifespan is around €20bn. This is money spent to investigate the foundations of matter & the universe, and represents a pinnacle of science, engineering and the strength of human curiousity.

In 2010, the US Military spent $12bn a week on killing people now, and new shiny things to kill them in the future.

In the UK in 2011, the total spend on advertising was £17.6bn.

Where do you think the money to save the millions dying from starvation & disease should be diverted from?

2. frank ly

The antiproton 'traps' were installed last June. I assume that these traps act to divert antiprotons towards a pathway that sends them to the detector, which will be placed away from the main ring and its tunnel. While the ring is running, people can still work in locations away from the main ring tunnel.

I'm wondering how they make antihydrogen from antiprotons. Does the proton 'pick up' an ordinary electron, which stays in orbit due to normal processes, or do they give it an antielectron?

1. The last doughnut

That would be a positron

2. Chemist

"I'm wondering how they make antihydrogen from antiprotons. Does the proton 'pick up' an ordinary electron, which stays in orbit due to normal processes, or do they give it an antielectron?!"

Well the antiproton would have a negative charge so they'd need a positron rather than an electron. I think antiprotons are relatively 'easy' to make but generating antihydrogen and bringing to reasonable temperatures seems a lot more difficult

3. Emo
    Joke

Looks like they have top men working on it. TOP MEN.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like