back to article US federal transport crash investigators ditch BlackBerry for iPhones

The US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has followed other federal agencies in ditching Blackberry for iPhone. But it's not just because they love the retina screen, the public sector agency has blamed their Blackberry devices for being unreliable in a document on the FedBizOpps site explaining why they are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J. R. Hartley

BB 10 better be amazing or RIM are fucked :/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RIM are fucked :/

fixed

2. adam payne

RIM need to do a reboot of their business.

Take and battery out and put it back in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wait till

they get the screen replacement insurance costs added in.

seriously, if i crack my bb screen the keys still work and i dont cut my fingers trying to send a txt

4. Robert Grant
    FAIL

Roffle

Clearly stable communications aren't the priority or they'd probably have a candybar dumb/Symbphone that will last more than a day. I work with a guy who does Mountain Rescue volunteer work and he sticks with a Nokia Symbian phone.

They want to play with expensive iPhones, fair enough. Don't pretend they're the best choice for communications; they aren't.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone reception isn't the best. The old Nokia phones of old were the best, we still use them as spare phones at work and they can be on all day but still show max battery life at the end of the day.

6. Colin Millar

Translation

"[NTSB] ..... says they require "effective, reliable and stable communication capabilities to carry-out its primary investigative mission and to ensure employee safety in remote locations."

= we need some new shiny things

I hope none of those remote locations gets too cold.

1. 100113.1537

Re: Translation

Yep. Got it in one. If they say "I want a new shiny thing" what chance do you think they would have of getting it? But by saying it is a matter of reliability (surely more to do with the carrier than anything else) no-one will question them.

I wonder how much more iPhones cost than BBs?

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I've already got a copy of the summary from next year's report

It will be "Teh shiney Apples won't work, we need new shiney S3s". See...

Apple refuses frozen iPhone repair

Finnish regulator calls for iPhone refunds

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

im sure they are just switching because iphone is more USA then blackberry, its a nationalist agenda, the iphone has one actual chip manufactured in the usa, where as the blackberry doesnt... little do they all know the asians have put back doors in all them so what does it matter?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The iPhone is the only "American" phone (Moto is moribund. WP8 or whatever it's called has to prove it can survive longer than its predecessors, so it definitely fails on the reliable and future-proof front) , so not using it would be unpatriotic. Or that kind of warped thinking; And highlighting the warped thinking is unpatriotic too btw, as well as reading comments to that effect, so too late guys....

9. Tsunamijuan
    Facepalm

Is it april fools already?

I admit I am a blackberry user. I love mine for reasons that admittedly go against the social norm of smart phone use.

I primarily use it as a phone. The antenna blows away that of the iphone, even a lot of the android phones on the market. The battery life is superb, not to mention that I can replace the battery easily when it dies (4 batterys in one year with my previous iphone, 1 battery replaced in 2 years. out of 3 that i consistently use).

Granted the app choices suck, and the support for it on new mobile integrated hardware and storage is not there. The web browsing is slow tastic and crashes at times. But It does work.

When it comes down to it, its reliable for the things that matter, making calls, sending and receiving emails. Great at texting. Laplink, and RDP with a mouse (trackpad ftw). Its certainly my Number one choice for my work needs.

10. Shane Kent
    Joke

Well...

they keep up on Facebook if the crappy map app gets them lost.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like