back to article EE touts 4G Sim-only tariffs

EE - currently the UK's only 4G network provider - has launched Sim-only plans touting one-year contracts for as little as £21 a month. While that does come with unlimited calls and texts, the package's data allowance is capped at 500MB, which could be gobbled stupendously fast on the firm's speedy network - should users be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JBardey

Unlimited*

Three are actually just being fair and stating their usage limits up front. The other companies offering Unlimited* implement fair use policies, that oddly enough limit you to around 5000 texts in my experience.

*Fair use policy applies

2. chappers
    Facepalm

Virgin Mobile?

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/paymonthlySimOnly.do

Essential SIM Only £12

Your tariff gives you:

1200 minutes

Unlimited texts

1GB Mobile Web

Essential SIM Only £17

Your tariff gives you:

1200 minutes

Unlimited texts

Unlimited Mobile Web

Premiere SIM Only £20

Your tariff gives you:

Unlimited minutes to landlines

2500 minutes

Unlimited texts

Unlimited Mobile Web

Nope, not included?

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Virgin Mobile?

As far as I can tell, Virgin do not offer any 12-month Sim-only contracts and these are all one month rolling deals.

1. chappers

far enough

2. Jop

Virgin Media's unlimited internet actually has a fair usage thingy of 10GB. Compared to Three which is truly unlimited.

Similar to how Sky Fibre broadband unlimited is truly unlimited but Virgin Media's unlimited broadband has 2 different limits you can hit a day before they slow your connection down.

Its about time the ASA stopped these unlimited claims.

3. Nathan 13

So

As people use much more data, and much less calling/texting on their phones, they give an unlimited amount of what people dont use, and a puny amount of what people do use.

Give punters 20GB, along with 200 mins & texts for £20 a month and people will snap their arms off to sign up.

1. frank ly

Re: So

3's SIM-only One Plan gives 2000 mins, 5000 texts and 'all you can eat' data with tethering allowed; for £25 a month on a rolling one month contract. I'm seriously thinking about going for that next May, when my VM cable contract reaches its expiry date.

4. ZeroHour

T-Mobile

Just to mention they have a special right now reducing the 12 month £31 Full Monty to £21 per month which is quite a good deal although it is a special offer that could be web only.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/plans/

5. Colin McKinnon

hmm, 500Mb at 20Mb/second

Even assuming that's MegaBYTES of data and megaBITs of bandwidth, that's 200 seconds to use up your quota (if we conveniently ignore congestion avoidance).

6. Fogcat

Ker-Ching

I'm at renewal point at the moment and have been checking deals. beware the costs of calls to 0800 and 0845 numbers.

With nearly every utility, bank or online ordering company you deal with using an 0845 number a charge of 40p/min to call these seems a rip off given they're supposed to be "local call equivalent".

I have no idea why these calls can't come out of your minute allowance.

1. chappers

Re: Ker-Ching

any good VM [yes 1 month contract!] regarding the 08 numbers?

Premiere 08 SIM Only £30

Your tariff gives you:

Unlimited minutes to landlines

2500 minutes

500 mins to 0800 0845 0870 0808 numbers

Unlimited texts

Unlimited Mobile Web

2. Tony Paulazzo
      Thumb Up

Re: Ker-Ching

>I'm at renewal point at the moment and have been checking deals. beware the costs of calls to 0800 and 0845 numbers.<

Check out http://www.saynoto0870.com/. In years of using it, very few times has it not worked.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Had the choice of going 4G but instead went for Three 3G. 3G speed is more than fast enough in my area (7Mbit download/3.5 upload on a speed test just done) and unlimited data + tethering included on the Three tariff.

Until the silly data limits of 4G are looked at again, there is not much point in having the extra speed. 500mb limit could be used up with 5 minutes full use.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like