back to article Sarcastic tweeter jailed for mocking Communist Party

A petition has been launched calling for the release of Zhai Xiaobing, a Chinese blogger who mocked the recent Communist Party Congress in an irreverent tweet and was promptly arrested on terrorism charges. Zhai, a 36-year-old financial worker from Beijing, made the mistake of belittling the Party at its most politically …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

A bit harsh

Obviously the men in power are very sensitive about their dictatorial* approach.

* For Chinese readers; insert the expression "loving".

1. dotdavid

Re: A bit harsh

Could be terrorism, if it inspires terror. It certainly seemed to inspire it in the political elite.

2. Agarax
    Unhappy

If this had been the United States instead of China ...

... cue the massive flame wars, accusations, black helicopters, CIA rendition teams, ect.

Since it's China everyone simply expressed mild disappointment.

1. DavCrav

Re: If this had been the United States instead of China ...

Well, probably because it's par for the course. I'm personally glad that we hold Western governments up to significantly higher standards than China, since I live in the West...

3. wowfood
    Facepalm

but wait

He's been arrested for terrorism charges? Oh no so evil, you'd never see somebody from the west have that happen.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/top-stories/438817/man-arrested-after-airport-bomb-joke-on-twitter

Not to mention the number of people arrested for libel / defamation when posting sattire about politicians which somehow comedians get away with on TV daily.

But no you'd never catch that in the west, bad china, BAD!

4. h4rm0ny

When I was a little kid, I was told the magic word was "please".

Turns out it's "terrrorist".

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

> Turns out it's "terrrorist".

It used to be "communist"

5. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Hmmm

I'm so glad I live in the UK and there is no possibility that a sarcastic tweet would land me in trouble with the authorities!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

My sarcasm detector went off the scale there. (Just a note for our US cousins)

1. Armando 123

Yeah, a nation that gave the world George Carlin, Bill Hicks, and The Simpsons would never get sarcasm. (That's sarcastic, for our European readers who were too busy looking down their noses to notice.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You colonials are just so touchy!

1. Concrete Cowboy
            Mushroom

WE ARE NOT!!!1!!eleventy-one!!

6. Scott Pedigo
    Coat

Spoiler Alert

I guess the Final Destination for that film fan turned out to be the big slammer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like