back to article No hiding now, fandroids: Smartmobe chip STALKS YOU INDOORS

Qualcomm and Cisco are collaborating to produce better location-tracking technology using networking gear and the Snapdragon chip otherwise found in smartphones. The process uses Cisco's new HotSpot 2.0 wireless routers, which can pinpoint a connected user's position within a couple of metres; good enough for following one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Great for supermarkets

Goes into supermarket with phone turned on. Ten minutes later....

"Welcome back Mr. Ly. I notice you've spend quite some time standing by the wine and spirits display. I've consulted the customer purchase records for the past three months. Would you like the address of the local Alcoholics Anonymous meeting room?"

1. EddieD

Re: Great for supermarkets

...which is why I pay cash for booze...

1. Anonymous Coward 15
        Pint

Re: Great for supermarkets

Hiding it is one of the key characteristics of someone with a problem.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. paulf
      WTF?

Re: Not just for Joe Public...

Why post AC, then give a link to your blog?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds very similar to what google already do to enhance their GPS, just more accurate by the sound of it..

I for one hope google buy them out soon, or license the technology, I want it on my mobile, although the cynic I am sure Apple will already have patented it without ever having it working......

Very useful! and as long as the processing is on the smart mobile, then there are no major privacy concerns...

1. dogged
      Black Helicopters

You WANT Google to buy it, thus allowing them to know even more about you, what you do and where you do it so that they can make even more money buy selling you as a product to their advertisers?

Freak.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Sounds very similar to what google already do to enhance their GPS, just more accurate by the sound of it.."

The purpose of that is to help you locate yourself in an area (with possible logging side affects)

The purpose of this is to track where others are in your building.

4. Pen-y-gors

Nothing new here

MI6 can already track people in underground tunnels, tube trains, mysterious buildings on foreign islands etc. - I know, I've just seen Skyfall! (and jolly good it was too...)

5. Anakin
    FAIL

Fandroids using Iphone?

Hate in this Padwan, strong it is.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Arachnoid

...which is why I pay cash for booze..

Yes but how long before you have to purchase by credit/debit card alone to enhance their shopper feedback experience

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tinfoil Hats

wrap the phone in tinfoil, maybe that will help?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like