back to article London gets huge Defecator Enthroned statue for World Toilet Week

A giant squatting man has been erected outside the offices of the London mayor in a bid to raise "awareness" of the toilet. The 5-metre high squatting figure next to London's Tower Bridge turns its head to look at passersby and on its face - comprising four large screens - the bending statue hosts photos of members of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AceRimmer
    Thumb Up

Caganer

When they've finished they can sell the statue to the Catalans.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Caganer

Nope, I think that the current location is just outside the front door of a swanky London law firm in the More London office development. I vote for it to stay, just be turned round so that it's backside faces the door. Either that, or to face the neighbours, PwC.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faceborked

"Sorry - You must be logged into Facebook to add your face"

POO!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Faceborked

There is an obvious connection...

3. Esskay
    Go

Whilst I love the idea

Having a giant statue that appears to have been made as inoffensive as humanly possible in order to cater to the types of prudes to whom this type of awareness is targeting seems to be a bit pointless.

A more life-like figure with a straining expression and a good book in its hands would be much more appropriate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whilst I love the idea

You shouldn't strain, be zen. Do not try to poo and the poo should happen.

If you strain you can damage yourself.

2. Peter Murphy
      Meh

Agree with you that the inoffensiveness makes the point - well, not pointless, but blunted. The concept behind the whole installation is that not everybody has access to clean toilets, and so faeces end up going where they shouldn't go: back into the mouth. This kills people by the diseases transmitted, and it's obviously a bad thing. Many can see how an abstract figure relates to the concept, but for most it's just a laff.

I agree with you about the straining, yes - but I don't know about the book. Reading books on the loo is mostly a first-world pastime, because people can keep their hands clean and the poo separate from the pages. You wouldn't do that in some dodgy WC in Calcutta shared by 30,000 other people as desperate as you. Not your favourite book, anyway. So what's my big idea to get the concept to the masses?

What I happen to notice is that the installation is made almost wholly out of white blocks. Let's just say that a brown block or five in judiciously chosen places would convey the idea of anal-to-oral disease transmission a lot, lot better. It's not nice and it's not pleasant, but then about two billion people have to live without such niceties and pleasantries. So let's not worry about offending people, shall we?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Reading books on the loo is mostly a first-world pastime,"...by blokes.

There, fixed it for ya.

Regarding the more serious point of this all, I think we all know that the third world has endemic problems of sanitation. And rather than spending (I guess) ten or twenty grand on a bizarre temporary statue, whoever paid for this would have achieved a whole lot more giving the money to WaterAid, the charity who actually do something about this type of problem.

3. cortland
      Go

... where's the paper?

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In the blink of an eye it will be behind me."

-- Max Reger

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poo facts

* The Japanese have toilets which can wash and blow-dry your bum automatically, and sing to you while they do it.

* The "civilised west" still shit in ceramic pots.

1. Mako

Re: Poo facts

"The Japanese have toilets which can wash and..."

Really? All of them? Or do some of them still shit in ceramic pots as well? Because if so, your vaguely racist point about "civilisation" is kind of moot, don't you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Or do some of them still shit in ceramic pots as well?

The wash and blow dry part is actually only bolted on to the top of the toilet from what I can tell.. it's the same old bowl underneath. And if the .. counting.. 4 flats I've have in the land of the spraying toilet are anything to go by, no not everyone has them. Even with expensive apartments they aren't as standard. So your comment is spot on and whoever down voted you has poo on their face. The seat part seems to come in at several hundred quid at the local den-ki-ya-san. One thing the Japanese toilets all do seem to have as standard is a little sink that uses the flush water, so you can stand up, flush and wash your hands.

On another note; The bum washers might seem like a good idea.. but go and stay in a hotel and watch the spray jet as it comes out. The last time I thought about using the advanced features of those seats I got fed up of waiting for it to do it's thing, got up and saw the spray jet in all of its many many peoples shit caked glory.

1. crayon
          WTF?

"One thing the Japanese toilets all do seem to have as standard is a little sink that uses the flush water, so you can stand up, flush and wash your hands."

I hope you mean "wash your hands, then flush using the water with which you just washed your hands with" because washing hands with water that had been used to flush a toilet would probably result in more than 10gm of feacal being consumed.

5. Robert E A Harvey

Art?

Well, people do say modern art is shit.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Art?

in some cases, quite literally shit.

6. frank ly

A giant squatting man has been erected ...

I stopped reading at that point.

7. Nick Kew

An open invitation ...

.... to London's dogs, to join him?

8. Thomas 4

It reminds me of a Creeper from Minecraft

One can only hope it doesn't strain too hard or there's going to be a bloody great crater on the banks of the Thames.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It reminds me of a Creeper from Minecraft

Taking a ssssssssshit? It would be a ssssssssshame if anything happened...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The squatting man appears to be laying a turd on the ground -- how is this supposed to raise awareness of toilets?

1. TRT Silver badge

I think that's gone now. Cable theft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Well, firstly, the traditional British shitter isn't the only flavour - several EU members still think a hole with a couple of foot pads counts as a toilet. More significantly, there's plenty of people in the world who don't have a nice safe bog, and have to shit in the gutter, behind the bushes or what have you, and I think that's what they want to highlight, rather than the toilet crimes of southern Europeans.

But I still don't see what they hope to achieve with telling me that it isn't just bears that shit in the woods.

10. Trygve
    FAIL

Meanwhile, on the other side of the river...

There is a tiny little memorial no-one knows about, to a man called Joseph Bazalgette who led the construction of London's sewer system, the very first modern one, saving countless lives by eliminating cholera and other diseases.while turning the Thames back into a river only brown from mud rather than human faeces.

But it would never do to promote the achievements of a white male engineer when there's FACEBOOK available.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the river...

Bazalgette's was a truly great achievement, so sad his descendants now pump cr*p back into London via the TV set :(

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the river...

Civil engineers have saved more lives than all the doctors in history.

11. Anonymous Coward 15

Obligatory "taking the piss" joke.

12. John Arthur
    Happy

Is it only me..

but I think the figure looks like Marvin. Didn't think robots did that kind of thing.

1. cortland

Re: Is it only me..

How WOULD he plug into a brain the size of a planet?

Explains some of our US politicians. Yours, too?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"More people have a mobile phone than a toilet"

Family of four each probably have a mobile.

They live in a house with one, maybe two toilets.

Not a shocking statistic.

1. Steve Foster
      Joke

Re: "More people have a mobile phone than a toilet"

And, critically of course, a mobile (usually) fits in one's pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: "More people have a mobile phone than a toilet"

"And, critically of course, a mobile (usually) fits in one's pocket."

So would the vast majority of turds. Icon for obvious reasons.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: "So would the vast majority of turds."

I hear the iPhone fits in your pocket...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"number two" double meaning - very good

Ignoring for a moment the seriousness and horror of what it's saying...

"Diarrhoeal disease is the number two cause of child death worldwide" - very apt.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hello bambinos

It certainly looks like Marvin, but one suggests the displays should perhaps run clips of *Martin* from "Friday Night Dinner" exclaming "Shit on it!" at passers-by.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

The Floodlamp

It's the flood lamp shining straight up the arse that worries me.

17. Paul J Turner

Someone can't count for crap

"comprising four large screens" - I see five.

18. johnwerneken
    Mushroom

More folks with phones than toilets: sad but not surprising

Just shows the priorities of the rich and greedy, be they Obama's yuppies or Mitt's moneybag types: the stuff they like, that help them dominate and control, gets priority. Particularly when OTHER stuff is more important, both to them and to everybody, but the further distribution of THOSE things does not benefit THEM, as, so far, they have other means of avoiding any share of the troubles of those without toilets. But they lose a chance to profit, if people have no phone lol..

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SHIT A BRICK !

prior art

20. cortland

Next in the woods...

Toilet trees!

This topic is closed for new posts.