back to article US petitions Obama for better policing of its mega-cities

A group of Americans has turned to the Obama administration's online petition site to propose a radical reform of the US law enforcement and judicial systems. While citizens of as many as 40 US states have lately used the petition system to request permission to secede and form their own governments, this more civic-minded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Piechota

Hmmm

That sounds dreddful.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Terminator

Re: Hmmm

734 votes now, and rising fast...

Hope you Merkins are behaving yourselves! ;o)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is just more of the extremist right having a temper tantrum over President Obama winning the election.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
          WTF?

Extremist right? You are being silly: it's obviously just a Judge Dredd joke, nothing to do with politics, so please don't try to make it political.

On the other hand you might have been deliberately trolling, in which case I'm the silly one for feeding you.

2. Graham Marsden

Six months, creep!

3. tony2heads
      Joke

I knew you'd say that

2. Eddy Ito

Sorry not Constititional

"the Judiciary is one of the three top branches of the Federal government"

Exactly, the other two are the Legislature, who makes the laws, and the Executive branch, which includes the Department of Justice and who is charged with executing the laws. Given that historically the Executive branch has been all about undercutting the power of the Judiciary it would be laughable to think that the President would want to change that now and voluntarily hand over power. I mean, come on, you've got to be at least a little bit megalomaniac to even want the job in the first place.

1. Tom 13

Re: Sorry not Constititional

No, not exactly: another commie missing the point completely.

Unlike England where authority once derived only from The Crown, in the US we've always had a system of divided government. One of the most important was simply assumed to be fact: The individual states enforce most of the laws for themselves. In fact, even within individual states, most cities enforce the law for themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do the math.

What problem is cities can't afford the luxury pension plans that public employees have. What do you expect when more pensioners are drawing from the pot then then there are adding to the pot. It doesn't help either when criminals are not treated as criminals. What ever happened to the days of just bread and water and no cable TV?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Do the math.

That's the big saving: retired judges are sent out into the cursed-earth to wander the desolate wastes bringing justice - in this case probably Texas

2. jm83
      Thumb Down

Math- s, Maths... it has an 'S' on the end.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@jm83

Not to the 350 million odd inhabitants on this side of the pond. Over here, it is just 'math', no 's'. And there are more of us than there are of you so we win. So there! :-Þ

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 350 million odd inhabitants

And most of them are very odd, I might add.

1. digismith

Re: 350 million odd inhabitants

OY!

I dispute your use of very.

We are EXTREMELY ODD and proud of it

2. Euripides Pants

Re: odd

No, every other one is odd.

2. Tom 13

In the UK it is 'maths' in the US, it's 'math.' Given the article was written from the US about a US topic, it is just as appropriate here as it is to use 'colour' when commenting on an article written from UK about a UK topic.

4. MachDiamond Silver badge
    Stop

More cops all of the time

NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency) has a police force. The Social Security Administration is buying loads of ammunition. Homeland (Homemade) Security arms a bunch of it's employees.

The problem may be too many cops. Not enough common sense from judges and a load of stupid politicians making up new laws daily that make no sense. I also seem to hear more about U.S. military forces holding practice maneuvers in major city downtown areas on weekends. Ominous.

There is also the problems of Federal agencies interfering with individual states. This has been a problem with the legalization of pot in many states. Some states even going as far as decriminalizing recreational use.

5. JaitcH
    WTF?

better policing of its mega-cities?

The US has only one city that justifies the term "megacity" and that's New York. Ypou have to get around 10-millon souls (living) before you get to be mega.

And that city has police chief Kelly who is a law unto himself, he doesn't bother with judges.

AND the NYPD even has liaison offices in London and Toronto, etc.

6. Esskay
    Happy

What to do with all the leftovers (ie lawyers)

Perhaps someone could create a petition for a soylent solution to world hunger?

Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

1. frank ly

@EsskayRe: What to do with all the leftovers (ie lawyers)

There can be no justification for giving people, even starving people, food that has been made from lawyers.

7. John Savard

Ah

The petition, not the article - despite the article being written by people in Britain - is what qualifies as an out-of-season April fool's joke by fans of Judge Dredd.

1. Tom 13

Re: Ah

When did the UK annex San Francisco?

Not that I'm necessarily opposed to them do so, I'd be glad to be rid of it. But I do rather think that would have been a bit of news I would have noticed.

8. mhenriday
    Boffin

«... motorcycle-riding law officers who act as police, judge, jury, and executioner»

sounds so 20th century - we moderns use drones. No petition needed ; it's bound to come anyway....

Henri

9. kain preacher

I vote for zombie storm troopers.

1. Tom 13

Re: Zombie storm troopers

Got that one covered already. Well sort of. Technically he's only a sheriff but...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_XctVfm82Ms&ei=-zGqUPrqNarC0AGaz4HYCg&usg=AFQjCNFd2dJkl80A2BNYKFKBISG3ZRWYiA&sig2=oXRaaS3k72Bkj6IWxjl3jw

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the problem?

Do people really think there is something wrong with capital punishment? Really? If a criminal kills an innocent victim, you think it's wrong to execute the criminal? I guess you haven't read the bible.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be careful what you wish for..

If I recall my comic book literature correctly the MC1 judges were aided in part by an intelligence network not unlike the Fusion centers that have been springing up across the states.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Change of heart

Where I travel in the U.S. they could use a lot more cops to deal with a society gone mad. It's unbelievable the way many people act be it on the streets, in stores, restaurants, etc. It's like most of society has discovered the odds are in their favor and so they do whatever they feel like as they know the chances of being arrested are slim. They seem to have adopted the pirates ideology that the world is their's to plunder. Perhaps a nice prison stay will result in a change of heart or another corpse. Either way it's better than the current situation.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to play Sim City. I learned crime goes up when money goes down. With so much money that gets pissed away I can see why.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like