back to article Bah humbug! Google cancels Christmas

The People app in Android 4.2 has forgotten that the month of December exists. People includes a limited calendaring function that is mainly used to assign birthdays to contacts. But if you try to use it to record the birthday of a certain Judean carpenter, you'll struggle to do so, because the whole month of December, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SteveCarr
    Gimp

Good thing my birthday is in May then, eh!

And that the powers that be have not released Android 4.2 for my Galaxy S2 yet either!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good thing my birthday is in May then, eh!

No but Samsung will be releasing 4.1.2 very soon....and if this leaked Rom is anything to go by it will have all the nice goodies the S3 has got as well :-)

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/11/15/i9100xxlsj-%E2%80%93-galaxy-s-ii-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Nooo!

They can't take December away. I'm one of those strange people who likes their family.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

next job interview im going to cut you with a surgical knife

i dont need to hide the body i'll just leave it on the pavement

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I take it you all forgot to read the memo

Google December was just a beta feature that has now completed its testing phase.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL. Nice well tested software, but it's open source so anyone can fix it. Oh actually no you can't because Google only gives the code to their bestest buddies for the first few months after release.

None of the benefits of open source and all of the disadvantages, ie. big incoherent mess caused by the endless drive to cram in even more gimmicky features so fandroid morons on forums can say "iOS and WP don't have a feature to me when my B.O. is getting above a certain level, so I know when I should stop playing Warcraft and have a bath".

1. jonathanb Silver badge
      Trollface

At least the alarm clock can cope with the clocks going back and forward twice a year, and the maps have some relationship to what is actually on the ground.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My clocks only go back and forward once a year.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Happy

Fixed it

My clocks only go back once a year. The rest of the year they are going forwards.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

4.2 source was out last week

Nov 13th.

Any other Apple myths you want to spout?

6. The Alpha Klutz

gods representative on earth

I think they should do it again properly

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I shudder to think how much abuse Apple would have taken if they had done this

N/T

1. Mark .

Re: I shudder to think how much abuse Apple would have taken if they had done this

Not much at all, since there are far bigger things to criticise, like maps.

Plus now we see the benefits of the staggered rollout. This fuckup affects hardly any devices, and only brand new ones, so existing devices aren't affected. Whilst the new version of IOS gets rushed out ASAP to every existing device, just because they think it makes good for the marketing headlines, meaning any bug messes it up for everyone.

This bug will be fixed soon enough. Is Apple maps back up to Google quality yet?

Not to mention that this is acknowledged as being a genuine bug. The problem with Apple is that they do these things *intentionally* - claiming it as a feature, refusing to back down. That's far more insiduous. No one has a problem with the occasional bug, all platforms have this. It's the "But Apple is better off not having copy/paste, it uses a whole new paradigm" justification from Apple and its fans that just seems odd.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: I shudder to think how much abuse Apple would have taken if they had done this

Mark, you're getting extremely repetitive.

2. Markl2011

Speaking of copy and paste..

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35732

2. Lars Silver badge
      Unhappy

Right, but you seem to forget how Apple have tried to deal with their shortcomings. All the explanations, take the "Antennagate" where they insisted every competitor, like Nokia, have the same problem, and it is all about using it in the wrong way. Then we have all the litigation put under way like if they think they invented the smart phone. Some days ago they invented the personal computer.

How they tried to change the shape of a Samsung phone to look more like a iPhone. The most "fantastic" trick was to ask all their employees to help correct the screwed maps by TomTom and others they where fooled to buy. The "fantastic" being fooling their employees (40 to 50 thousands) to lie to customers.

I can understand if Jobs was unable to take any blame him self as he knew he was good (he was good), that was his personality and the way he was.

The round corners will not be forgotten either.

Apple has only themselves to blame, if we remember, and smile, make jokes, and are rather fed up with them.

1. Anal Leakage

Still riding Antennagate?

http://dontholditwrong.tumblr.com/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google has not issued an official statement about the mess at the time of writing

What mess? It's not the calendar. Only Apple make that mistake (where twice yearly daylight savings cockups are as regular as clockwork).

Even if it were, Google now deliver calendar updates via Play store (ICS >)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.calendar

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google has not issued an official statement about the mess at the time of writing

Only Apple, really?

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4484

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Yes; daylight saving is tricky, whoever you are.

Programming a video or radio recorder for the small hours when daylight saving time starts or stops is basically a gamble. Maybe when PCs converge fully with TV it'll be possible to select "View all times -without- daylight saving" temporarily for a clearer view.

BBC World Service Radio, at least in Europe, uses GMT all year round, which means that you have to be mentally alert when listening to their time announcements. But they change their regular schedules and programme times around then, anyway, so it's still baffling.

So probably we should be tolerant of temporary hiccups in our personal time management applications, and, on the other hand, don't depend on using them as your alarm clock unless you're very sure of what they're going to do in these cases.

9. Richard Plinston
    Trollface

It's Microsoft's fault !!!

When Windows 95 was running late and still had not been released it was alleged that Bill Gates had said: "Windows 95 will be released before Christmas, but we may have to delay December for a couple of months".

It seemed that the same would happen with Windows 8 so obviously Google catered for this to save Microsoft embarrassment.

10. julianh72
    Unhappy

It's pretty obvious what's going on ...

... thousands of people who missed out on the Nexus 4 on launch day are now on back-order, hoping it will be available again "in about three weeks". It looks like those will be "Google Weeks", which means delivery can now be expected in about mid-January, now that the Google Grinch has stolen December.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Android 4.2 has been a clusterfuck for me: spontaneous reboots, messed up Bluetooth completely, sound stutters, can't send files anymore , auto brightness unusable, stuff shows up in the wrong font and more. All was working fine on 4.1.

I'm gonna downgrade it as soon as I can.

1. PaulR79

Auto brightness issue - not just me then!

I was wondering what the hell was going on when my screen kept going darker, then brighter ad nauseam. It hadn't happened with 4.1 but after the update it keeps happening.

The issues are with Android 4.2 and the only devices officially running that are Nexus devices. The point? They will get a fix as soon as Google push it out. Anyone running a custom ROM (CyanogenMod etc) will likely have it fixed sooner and can flash the fix. Everyone else can think of Nexus owners as beta testers.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Real Google Calendar

The real Google Calendar works fine. I have set it up to send me reminders of important events by email, SMS and/or popup, and it is synced across all my platforms. This other thing is a little used App of which I was previously unaware. No doubt they'll fix it, but who cares?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Real Google Calendar

I know,right? Who keeps people's birthdays and other personal dates in the People app? That's just lazy beyond belief. What an utterly pointless and useless feature.

Let me guess, people need an app to store their friends addresses and phone numbers too? Pathetic.

There is no problem here, move along.

1. DryBones
        FAIL

Re: The Real Google Calendar

Obvious troll is obvious.

13. Affian
    Trollface

Calendar.DECEMBER

I love this, mainly because I hit the same hitch in my code for a minute yesterday. The Java calendar makes the months 0(zero) indexed. That means if you try and work with the months 1-12 you go from Feb - Nov and the 12 gets rolled forward to Jan the next year.

Lessons of the week: Always check the documentation and always test edge cases.

Joke

It's called "Facepalm error",

I think. :-)

By the way,

A while back, the "Doctor Who Adventures" comic gave away a Time Lord time traveller's calendar for the next year as a near-Christmas gift. Contents: ten months. At least in my copy. In the context, and with overactive imagination, you might wonder if it was authoritative, and what was going to happen before November to make it unnecessary. Also, in the magazine, notes for the year ahead such as "April: you do NOT want to know. Really."

Another time I got a clock from them, a real one, working! If it was lying on its back.

This week"s "Time Vortex Manipulator" doesn't work either. ...What?

2. O RLY

Re: Calendar.DECEMBER

Wouldn't it drop January of the current year? 1-11 being Feb-December of the current year, with 12 being Jan of next year?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Calendar.DECEMBER

"That means if you try and work with the months 1-12 you go from Feb - Nov and the 12 gets rolled forward to Jan the next year."

Month 11 might have something to say about this.

14. Denarius
    Thumb Up

Its not bug but a feature

I cant be the only one who would like to skip December completely ?

15. Magnus Ramage
    Stop

Can I be the first...

... to mention the Mayans?

16. simmondp

Could explain why the Wise Men did not show up until January.

17. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

... at the time of writing, but is said to be working on a fix.

Now, would the fix be to correct the code, or to correct the obviously errant calendar?

18. sabroni Silver badge
    WTF?

Sauce for the goose

Check out the comments here: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/03/12/azure_leap_day_confirmed/

But lose a month and "It's not that big of a deal"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like