back to article Israel declares war on Hamas via Twitter

The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) took to Twitter to declare war on Hamas shortly after they launched a series of airstrikes against the Palestinian group's leadership. In days of yore, the commencement of military action was decided by diplomats and announced over the radio or in solemn TV statements. In this social-media …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure

I'm sure Hamas will be returning the tweet very shortly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure

This terrorist state assasinates people again - hardly surprising. At least it wasnt children and civilians like they usually target (for instance using white phospherous on civilians, and repeatedly shelling a beach full of families).

Hopefully once the Americans become self sufficient in oil they will lose interest in funding these terrorists and Iran can turn them into the worlds largest glow in the dark glass car park...

1. samlebon23
        Headmaster

Amen.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Re: I'm sure

Woot! Woot! Troll alert, gratuitous baiting detected! Well, no-one could actually be stupid enough to actually post that otherwise.

3. James Micallef Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Blaming the Israelis and saying they're a terrorsit state is bloody idiotic. Most Israelis want to live peacefully, and they are ready to close one or both eyes to what their government is doing to protect them.

Likewise blaming the 'Palestinians' or 'Arabs' as a group is idiotic, most of them also just want to be able to live a normal life in peace but cannot because they are living under a blockade (Gaza) or as second-class cititens whose needs and desires always come second to those of Israeli settlers illegally taking over their land (West Bank).

The sad thing is that the extremists are in power on both sides and not only refuse to talk, but are actively working against the peace. Hamas leaders don't want peace because with peace they become irrelevant and they stop getting secret funding from rich arabs and Iran to wage their proxy wars against Israel. On the Israeli side, the extremist settlers continue to expand settlements on land that in their mind is given to them by yahweh. They also have no interest in peace because their vision is of an Israel that includes West Bank as part of their territory.

Frankly, the best thing is to ignore propaganda on both sides, they're both to blame and they are both responsible for sorting out the mess, and neither of the governments / officials has any sympathy from me. I'll reserve my sympathy to the poor sods on both sides who are caught in the middle.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will it end

Israel 'Hi guys just to let you know we stiffed one of your leaders today'

Hamas. 'One for you big boy, why was the 8.15 bus late today?'

Israel 'You missed but for your cheek look what's flying towards you'

Hamas 'Not bad, 15 women and 7 children and one leader to nil'

Israel 'Want some more?'

Hamas 'Did you enjoy our rocket display?'

Israel '23-1 you scored, but we are going for a goal now..."

And so this shit goes on and on and on and on and on........

1. Keep Refrigerated
      Thumb Up

Re: When will it end

US Government, UK Government and 4 others Like this...

3. That Awful Puppy
    Thumb Down

Disgusting

It all looks like Command & F*cking Conquer. What the hell is this world coming to?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WWII as an RTS

Is anybody else reminded of:

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_jokes_20057151.asp

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Israeli election coming up.

Looks like a killing move by the incumbents to retain their positions.

6. solidsoup

Yeah, targeting perpetrators in response rocket attacks against your citizens is just part of an election campaign. Just like UK fighting against IRA was to win elections. Come to think of it, in my city there was a campaign against crime. It's probably because that bastard Mayor wants to get reelected.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rocket attacks are the only way the Palestinians have of fighting against the ongoing Israeli attacks, invasion and occupation. Unlike the Israelis, the Palestinians don't have long range weapons that are accurate enough to ensure that they never target civilians...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Total ignorant comment ahead...

Is it me, or does it just seem like the Muslims just never game up on a 2,000 year old war? I mean, we English (I'm American) give up. England gave up on America, America gave up on Vietnam, but the Muslims just won't give up! That is serious devotion! I flat out have no clue to what is really going on over there, I only *read* about war.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Total ignorant comment ahead...

Its a religious war which is the key(and huge) difference. England gave up on the US cause it was more a war for cash, and the cost of the war outweighed the return on investment that would have been needed to win. Vietnam was more a war of principles, and testing out new weapons to use on other countries we were in a cold war with.

1. beep54
            Headmaster

Damn you just gave me the opening I've been looking for! Recently finish Barnaby Rudge, one of Dickens more obscure tomes. Turns out it shouldn't be. It turns on the Gordon Riots, which came about because Britain was slowly figuring out that making Catholics 3rd to 4th rate citizens (couldn't even educate your child without shipping 'em off to the Continent) was not really a very good idea. Not when you are having a war with the Colonies and in fact, face it, a world war. You needed every damn man! Enter Lord George Gordon (NOT Byron!!). He ended up instigating riots against Catholic rights. These were possibly the bloodiest England had ever seen.

2. beep54
            Devil

As to testing out new weapons.....essentially, all we fucking managed to demonstrate is that attempting to 'bomb a country back into the stone age' is just a really silly idea when large parts of said country just are really that far from it. Not to be demeaning, but huge hunks of Vietnam were doing quite well, thank you, without this modern stuff.

1. beep54

stick a 'not' in there. It will make more sense. Where's the effing 'edit' button anyways??

1. solidsoup

It's not a religious conflict. In fact, most conflicts classed as religious - aren't. There's always an agenda. Palestinians make money from perpetual attacks on Israel. These attacks serve various agendas of regional actors - from basic hate of Jews to increasing price of oil and distracting their own populace from internal problems. In this instance, the escalation started after a visit to Gaza of Qatari cleric. He reportedly transferred $250 million to Hamas and other groups. Ironically, in this case it may have been to get them out from under Iranian influence. That whole region is a viper pit and most people haven't got a clue as to what's going on, yet feel like they understand the situation.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

Re: AC

"Rocket attacks are the only way the Palestinians have of fighting against the ongoing Israeli attacks...." What attacks? The Fakeistinians have been shooting rockets into southern Israel, deliberately targeting Israeli civilians, did you really think the Israelis would just sit and take it?

".... invasion and occupation......" The Gaza Strip is not occupied by Israel so that just underlines the complete lack of knowledge in your post.

".....the Palestinians don't have long range weapons that are accurate enough to ensure that they never target civilians..." The Fakeistinians target civilians on purpose. There are plenty of IDF bases and posts within range of the Gaza rockets but instead the jihadis target Israeli civilians. It was exactly the same during the suicide bombing campaigns, when the jihadis always targeted buses, resteraunts and malls because they wanted to kill as many Jews as possible, whether they've civilians, children or tourists.

The barrier put a stop to the suicide bombings so it would look like the Israelis just need to put a concrete dome over all of Gaza.

1. Bod
      FAIL

"The Gaza Strip is not occupied by Israel so that just underlines the complete lack of knowledge in your post."

It's still considered occupied by the U.N. despite their withdrawl of physical presence in 2005. They are a besieged teritory, little better than a concentration camp.

And that's just Gaza. West Bank is still considered significantly occupied.

Let's not forget these are territories annexed by Israel, including East Jerusalem an act which itself is not recognised and is condemned by almost all of the international community and the U.N.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

".....It's still considered occupied by the U.N......" <Sigh> No it's not. Even entities like UNWRA, the Fakeistinian-only UN agency that depends on the dispute never being settled doesn't refer to the Gaza Strip as "occupied territories". You can go search the UN website (www.un.org) and you'll see they refer to it as the Gaza Strip, end of. Oh, sorry, did I just ask you to go do some research and actually learn some facts? That must have been a positively shocking thought for you.

"....annexed by Israel, including East Jerusalem...." OK, let's consider them. When Transjordan (which we now call Jordan today) illegally invaded the Wset Bank during the 1948 war the Fakeistinians didn't complain. When Jordan annexed the West Bank (including East Jerusalem) in 1950, in contradiction of the UN partition plan, the Fakeistinians didn't complain. When the Jewish families were kicked out of their houses in East Jerusalem, where they had lived for hundreds of years if not thousands, the Fakeistinians not only didn't complain but helped with the ethnic cleansing. The Fakeistinians were particulalry pleased when Jordan banned all Jews from entering Jordan as it stopped Jews visiting the many Jewsih holy sites in the West Bank, which prove that Jews have been there for thousands of years. But when Israel kicked Jordan out in 1967 and claimed their historic capital back, then the Fakeistinians complained! Boy, doesn't a little history poke great big holes in your frothing rants.

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

TOS violation

Who would have thought that blowing an Arab up on YouTube would have prompted a TOS violation? Shocking!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Today, the a major diplomatic incident occurred....

When Britain changed it's Facebook status from being "in a special relationship" with the United States to "it's complicated".....

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Today, the a major diplomatic incident occurred....

I wonder what facebook will do with the US-UK 'couples' page:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/15/facebook_couples_page/

10. Allison Park
    Paris Hilton

everything is Englands fault

If England didn't do such a horrible job of imperialism and country creation we would not be in this mess of india/pakistan isreal/middle east. The Brits need to be the ones losing their lives over this travesty.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: everything is Englands fault

"If England didn't do such a horrible job of imperialism....." Alli, go back to the IBM FUD. The Arab infighting was going on long before the Brits arrived. Even when the Ottoman Turks were in control of the area there was violence between different Arab tribes and between Arabs and Jews. After the Turks lost in WW1 the Brits and the Fwench carved up the area and the Fwench created an equally big mess in the Lebanon and Syria. The current state of play is due to the US-dominated UN fudging the issue in 1947, and the US being so dependent on Arab oil since.

Since the earliest days of Mohammed's cult in the Saudi peninsula they have deliberately targeted Jews. Go Yahoogle Banu Qurayzah to get just the start of why the Muslims are so determined to destroy the only Jewish state. Go look for what a gharkad (boxthorn) tree is and you might understand why many Muslims in the Mid East will chop them down or burn them on sight (I'm not kidding, I've seen them herding out school kids to hack down such trees in the middle of nowhere!). The Islamic schools such as those in Hamas-run Gaza teach that Muslims should emulate Mo's acts, trying to understand the Fakeistinians by interpreting their actions through Western attitudes and concepts is doomed to failure. Blaming it on the British Empire is simply falling into the trap of believing that all these problems have been "imposed" on the poor ickle Arabs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like