back to article Sinofsky denies failed putsch led to his defenestration

Ex-Windows chief Steven Sinofsky has apparently denied that a power grab for Windows Phone and Microsoft’s “developer division” forced his exit. In comments on a blog here Sinofsky said he’d never “initiated any discussions to bring together” the organisations and he wasn’t approached to manage them as part of his work on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anony-mouse
    Trollface

I wonder how much

Ballmer paid off Sinofsky with to keep quiet on the real for his ouster?

1. Code Monkey

Re: I wonder how much

Or Sinofsky's just following the rule of "slagging off your former employer can upset those you want to be the next employer".

2. Captain DaFt

"Was his decision"

"My way or the highway."

At least, that's my take on it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We'll never know

Such is the nature of a golden parachute.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We'll never know

If only organisations were more literal when awarding golden parachutes.

"Security, please show this man out of the building... via the top floor."

2. Reading Your E-mail
      Black Helicopters

Re: We'll never know

Until he publishes his book, which won't happen until he no longer needs M$ to give him a reference.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too bad it wasn't a proper

BOFH termination. Maybe Steve Ballmer could have one of those. Wishful thinking!

Now, where was that rug and can of lime, or drain cleaner?

1. Ilgaz

Re: Too bad it wasn't a proper

Ballmer should be the one to go with Bill Gates being assigned as "visionary".

Not joking, besides the technology wasn't enough, it is Microsoft who pushed tablets first.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the end of the day

it doesn't matter whether he jumped or was pushed.

He has gone.

And anyway, I am so far down the foodchain that I really cannot be bothered who comes and goes at that level.

They certainly don't give a monkeys about wrecking whatever career I choose. Why should I give a stuff about them?

6. Magnus_Pym

If you're not pulling together...

... you're pulling apart.

This is the curse of the large corporation. Those inside see their colleagues as the competition. Outside forces are nothing to do with them. All effort goes into empire building and none into business building. Yes men proliferate, innovators leave. The result is increasingly misfiring efforts aimed at 'markets' that may not even exist.

1. Reading Your E-mail

Re: If you're not pulling together...

Hmm, that's remarkably accurate......food for thought indeed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now's the time

to be an executive office chair seller/repairer in Redmond

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All rumours will be denied

They have to be. He's almost certainly signed a non-disclosure/slagging-off undertaking, and, even if he hasn't, and even if there is any cause, expression of acrimony towards his previous employers might not be a great career move.

So, pick your rumour and believe it, or believe them all, it makes no odds, unless you happen to be a potential Sinofsky employer. There is no interesting news whatsoever in the denial of the rumours, on either side: that's just the routine.

Of course, the highly unlikely possibility of the consistent failure to deny one particular rumour might be of some interest. Or, of course ...it might not.

9. Ilgaz

Forget oem guys

People using windows 7 or even XP aren't interested nor even know win8.

Check around. Even the zero tech crowd says what to do with keyboard& mouse.

This is nothing like windows vista, 7 etc.

1. Ilgaz

To thumbs downguy

Here, Ms sells win 8 digital upgrade (click& download) for $15. You read that right. They planted a bug to the site intentionally (Ms fashion) so you can have it as long as you have win 7 license. Oem or not.

Haven't seen anyone using it yet.

If this was 7 we talk about, their and akamai servers would choke under such load.

1. Jay 2
        Linux

Re: To thumbs downguy

Funnily enough the website that gives you the $15/£15 promo code (http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/) doesn't actually check that you've recently purchased a Win7 box, so you can just make stuff up. And the code will work for XP as well (as long as you've got a kosher version, though XP 32bit will only upgrade to 8 32bit).

And as a quick aside when upgrading from XP to 8 it will not offer you the option to make an ISO. However once upgraded if you run the upgrade program again then it will give you an option to make an ISO.

I like to keep up with what's going on with desktop, so I've got VMs for XP, 7, 8 and a few Linux distros, all of which run on the Mac. So all bases covered for random support questions.

10. Mike Dimmick

Marketing launch well after code-complete

"Sinofsky did not provide any explanation of why he’d suddenly left Microsoft midway through the Windows 8 launch: Windows 8 and Surface RT shipped in October "

No, Windows 8 RTM code shipped in August. It was only available in retail outlets from October, but it's been several months since code-complete. He didn't leave midway through the launch, he left after the marketing launch, long after the product was handed over to marketing, product support and sustained engineering. It's really the natural time to leave, before serious commitment to work on the next release starts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like