back to article Race for new top level domains now officially a lottery

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has set December 17 as the date on which it will conduct the "prioritization draw" for new generic top level domains (gTLDs) and has announced the process will officially be a lottery. Thousands of applications for new gTLDs have been received, as organisations …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

dot null

Companies applying for this are suckers who are afraid of missing out on something. Almost nobody types in a whole address.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Another day on Shakedown street

I wonder who's applying for .DEAD

3. PyLETS
    Flame

Degrading the Internet for profit

Growing the number of TLDs creates increased costs for those wanting to protect legitimate brands and gives more opportunities to crooks seeking to create a website mimicking your bank's. And no doubt it makes ICANN directors exceedingly rich - just look at the size of the application fee. That's what comes from allowing a California company to control the global namespace. Whatever else you may say about the bureacracy and glacial speed of the ITU, no way they would allow profit making confusion in the area which they control concerning international dialling codes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Degrading the Internet for profit

"gives more opportunities to crooks seeking to create a website mimicking your bank's..."

I used to agree. Then I noticed that I was getting phishing emails from gmail or yahoo.com.(some obscure country code). Apparently the rubes are dumb enough (and there are enough of them) so that convincing domains aren't required.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

.dot

.dash

.slash

.space

to really confuse people?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like