back to article Federal advisors urge Congress to look into China's cyber attacks

A federal advisory group has told the US Congress that it should be doing an in-depth investigation of Chinese cyber spying and that it should create tougher penalties for companies that benefit from corporate espionage. The US-China Economic and Security Review Commission said in its annual report to the government that China …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all a put up job by the Americans, they do it to themselves to encourage protectionism.

2. Michael Hawkes
    Holmes

Spies, pirates, thieves?

Sounds pretty American to me. Maybe we should give them citizenship.

3. frank ly

"The relevant commission .." "The relevant report .."

Do they not quite understand how to use the word 'relevant', or have they cleverly constructed a canned statement that can be used in many circumstances? Maybe they expect to have to use it often in the future.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: "The relevant commission .." "The relevant report .."

Did you mean "irrelevant"?

4. steward
    Holmes

They condemned it...

But didn't actually *deny* it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They condemned it...

good point .. no government today can deny involvement in cyberspying ... well, maybe Barbados ...

5. Bucky 2
    Pint

Wow! I'm more important than I thought

I've noticed for some time that IP addresses registered to China are...overrepresented in attacks on servers I manage. Even my home computer.

I had no idea that the Chinese government itself was interested in me. Wow.

But I guess that's probably the most respectful presumption I can come up with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow! I'm more important than I thought

I've started adding whole Chinese IP blocks to my personal firewall's blacklist - because I, too, feel the Chinese seem to be "overrepresented" in my intrusion lists.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Looks like Obama's "Pivot to the Pacific" is pivoting

Expect more of this stuff, followed by a few Carrier Strike Groups steaming in the South China sea.

7. MachDiamond Silver badge
    WTF?

Go Phish

When I track back phishing attempts, I seem to find more of them coming from China than anywhere else. For a country that bans a whole lorry load of sites, they don't seem to mind the extortionist movement.

1. JCitizen
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Go Phish

I've had them knocking on my "door" since 2005, when they were so arrogant that they didn't even try to hide the IP address of the military bases they were coming from. Wait for it - "OH but that was a re-direct from a bot net!!!"

Yeah right! ;)

8. mhenriday
    Boffin

Nice to see an utterly

unbiased and objective report on «cyber espionage» from an impeccable and disinterested source....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like