back to article New York Times uses palpably fake pic to illustrate Syrian warfare

The New York Times has used an obviously faked image with a strong resemblance to videogame visuals to illustrate the conflict in Syria, an eagle eyed Reg reader has pointed out. The story 'Ordering More Airstrikes, Syria Calls French Recognition of Rebels 'Immoral' ' carries a picture of a fighter holding a gun and firing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Propaganda!

I have swallowed enough of it during the first half of my life so now I can smell it from the distance of one kilometer or more, even with unfavorable wind blowing.

2. JonP
    Facepalm

Looks alright to me...

...the gun thing for a start; you'd never see it held so oddly in a game - there's normally only a few generic position animations for the opposition / other players. Plus I don't think I've ever seen graphics that 'realistic' looking either (looking at the original here btw.).

You need to stay in more!

3. CNS
    Stop

I'm surprised no one at the NYT reads The Register as the presumably fake photo is still being posted.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here is the embedded data:

JFIF Version : 1.01

Resolution Unit : inches

X Resolution : 392

Y Resolution : 392

XMP Toolkit : Image::ExifTool 8.50

Rights : This photograph is protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. Licensing requests should be sent to photosales@nytimes.com.

Marked : True

Web Statement : true

Profile CMM Type : Lino

Profile Version : 2.1.0

Profile Class : Display Device Profile

Color Space Data : RGB

Profile Connection Space : XYZ

Profile Date Time : 1998:02:09 06:49:00

Profile File Signature : acsp

Primary Platform : Microsoft Corporation

CMM Flags : Not Embedded, Independent

Device Manufacturer : IEC

Device Model : sRGB

Device Attributes : Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color

Rendering Intent : Perceptual

Connection Space Illuminant : 0.9642 1 0.82491

Profile Creator : HP

Profile ID : 0

Profile Copyright : Copyright (c) 1998 Hewlett-Packard Company

Profile Description : sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Media White Point : 0.95045 1 1.08905

Media Black Point : 0 0 0

Red Matrix Column : 0.43607 0.22249 0.01392

Green Matrix Column : 0.38515 0.71687 0.09708

Blue Matrix Column : 0.14307 0.06061 0.7141

Device Mfg Desc : IEC http://www.iec.ch

Device Model Desc : IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB

Viewing Cond Desc : Reference Viewing Condition in IEC61966-2.1

Viewing Cond Illuminant : 19.6445 20.3718 16.8089

Viewing Cond Surround : 3.92889 4.07439 3.36179

Viewing Cond Illuminant Type : D50

Luminance : 76.03647 80 87.12462

Measurement Observer : CIE 1931

Measurement Backing : 0 0 0

Measurement Geometry : Unknown (0)

Measurement Flare : 0.999%

Measurement Illuminant : D65

Technology : Cathode Ray Tube Display

Red Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Green Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Blue Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Image Width : 600

Image Height : 330

Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding

Bits Per Sample : 8

Color Components : 3

Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1)

Image Size : 600x330

5. Slap

Real?

IMO that photo is real. I can understand people thinking its a screenshot from a video game due to the typical wide angle frame that FPS shooters use, not to mention the shooters pose appears somewhat unnatural. Also the apparent lighting upon first glance, especially on the person themselves, appears to be artificial. However taking a close look at the photo, even at its relatively low resolution reveals that the lighting is simply an illusion as a result of the combat gear he's wearing.

As far as loosing control the belt fed machine gun is concerned, it's quite obvious that a shot has just been fired due the case ejection, but this is just one frame. We simply don't know what happened after.

Everything else in the photo looks like its a real photo as well

Nope, it's not a fake as far as I can see.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: Real?

Hey, I've got a crowbar. I'll help you get your tongue out of your cheek.

2. Eddy Ito

I agree, looking at the photographers site and comparing this photo with some the others there it definitely seems plausible that and has a similar look. I will say that it does have a feel of a flipped photo as I assume the rifle is a PKM and while it's possible the belt runs over to the top side to feed it looks more like the belt is feeding from the lower side and the two shells have clearly ejected upward toward what would be the right side of the weapon; this is opposite the standard for a belt fed Russian firearm.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If the shells come out of the left hand side you're going to get burnt pretty quick.

1. Eddy Ito

"If the shells come out of the left hand side you're going to get burnt pretty quick."

I'd only get burned if I was standing in the fire. Seriously, I don't know why most if not all Russian belt fed guns feed from the right and eject to the left but they do. They also equip them with a bipod or tripod so perhaps if you ask the designer he will say, "you're holding it wrong".

Note for the other thread, how about a "I don't know why it is, but it is" icon.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Eddy Ito

"The RPD is belt fed from the left."

Oh yeah, nice catch. I'm still sticking to it being a PKM and the image reversed given the RPD ejects shells downward and not to the right.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Dear Reg.

As far as my eyes can tell, this is a photo. 100% photographic, with possibly some touching up and cut and paste. Ok, that's not 100% photographic. But I can confirm it's not a game scene. Why? Hair. The guy has real hair, which is unheard of in a game. Well, you can render it, but it's more fuzzy than the reflection I get when I wake up in the morning and have been sleeping with my head on the vandergraph generator again.

The scene was probably entirely setup. Perhaps for a film or just a clipart (it is Getty images after all).

If my deduction is right, can you swing a reply my way? I'd also be happy to vet any images for you in the future. I've got an eye like a hawk... ahem, vulture. ;)

PS, list is:

Hair shows real "fuzz".

Arms show real "skin + tattoo" (lighting too realistic for 3d, at least anything currently game sourced)

Background could be 3D, but I'd say no due to no repeat of "texture" on the ground.

Fire shows no repeats either or any clipping from "billboard" effects. So either setup with a pro pyrotechnic or a cut from another photo.

The gun. There is so much wrong there, I can only imagine it's from a fans attempt to imitate "Rambo".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is faked, but not from a FPS

I agree that the photo has a feeling of fakeness, but does not look coming from an FPS. I agree that it is too detailed to come from a game.

The image seems to have different lighting levels for the fire, the person and the background. The soldier looks to be in motion but there is no blurring, which means that the exposure speed is short, which needs a lot of lighting to look good. In contrast, the street appears in shadows.

Zooming on the bottom right of the fire I see something that could be brushing, fuzzy areas where fire and street background merge.

My opinion: PhotoShop, yes, from an FPS, not.

1. Alan Firminger

Re: It is faked, but not from a FPS

Good guess. I am impressed by the photographic quality but troubled by the lack of reflection from the flames on the gun and the person.

8. Weeble9000
    Go

Looks pretty real to me - try expanding the image to fill your whole screen.

9. c2423
    Stop

The question isn't so much "is it real", but rather "how soon before all conflict photos are fake?" My bet is not too long.

10. spork
    Boffin

tires burn with very high energy

Solid rocket fuel is polybutadiene with an oxidizer additive such as aluminum oxide. Polybutadiene == tire rubber.

11. Anonymous Coward 101

Libyan Rebels

The abiding image for me of the recent Libyan conflict was guys dressed in disco gear firing guns in a similar fashion to the man here. They were more likely to kill a goat in a field a mile away than any of Ghadafi's henchmen, but it was just for show.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like