back to article Curious robot rover Curiosity chews a second mouthful of Mars dirt

The Mars rover has stuck a pinch of the fine sand and dust of the Red Planet into its Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument for its second soil analysis. Martian sand in true colour An earlier scoop of Martian surface has already popped out results from Curiosity's CheMin instrument showing the mineralogical makeup of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M 6
    Thumb Up

Sub Heading

Should have been 'Nom nom nom...'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Scientist hear spitting sound

Scientists hear spitting sound, message from Curiosity appears on screen...

'Another Fcuking mouthful of cat turd!'

Curiosity then goes into a sulk.

1. stucs201

Re: 'Another Fcuking mouthful of cat turd!'

So *thats* why Curiosity killed the cat - to stop it crapping in its lunch.

2. Alan Firminger

?

Perhaps it will find a friend; they will have lunch together.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: ?

And a beautiful romance blossoms, and they make lots of little rovers?

Oh noes, grey goo!

3. Dennis Wilson
    Alien

The answer is NO!!!!!

Just in case they do find life on mars, the answer is no, you can't have a council house.

4. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward
    Coat

Taste?

Bet it tastes of peanuts and caramel....... Oh sorry, that was a marathon/snickers, not a Mars bar.....

Oh well, one mouthful a day will help Curiosity work rest and play...

Coat? The one with a sticky chocolate bar in the pocket, of course.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else struck by that photo? If it weren't for the sharpness of the shadows, it could be any desert on Earth. Just awesome to realise that's another world close up.

1. h 6
      Go

Duh!

It's a studio shot.

6. Mr Young
    Coat

Check it when it comes out the other end as well!

Make sure curiositys insides are working ok? Sorry

7. Arachnoid

Curiosity is like an amateur golfer forever stuck in the sand and digging for victory.

8. MajorTom

Staggering photos

I keep getting bowled over by the stunning quality of this rover's photos. It's as if they set it loose in New Mexico or something. You can easily imagine being there.

Studying the images from dozens of past space exploration missions, I've come to appreciate the haziness / graininess / lack of contrast as being par for the course, given where the image was taken, i.e., deep space or some far-out planet or moon. But now I've learned the truth: those earlier images mostly just suck. (Well, for human eyes anyway.)

I'd love to send newer rovers and probes back to our old stomping grounds...the moon, Venus, etc. What a difference the newer cameras would make.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like